CONGRATS on YOUR DEER !!!!!!!!

My first White Tail. I seen this deer several days from the same stand waiting for something bigger said hell with it, look for bigger later. Taken with Black powder 54 cal.
My%20Pictures0100.jpg

Here is a shot of my MT muley. I watched him for about an hour the day before opener. Watched him for about five minutes before shooting him 40 minutes into the season. Felt bad that my MT season was over, but his two junk points were too cool to pass up.

MT%20muley.jpg

Here is a shot of my SD whitey. I was not able to hunt the prime area I was in last year, so forced to some lesser areas. Hunted hard for 4 days before shooting this guy. It was still a fun stalk and was able to get within 40 yards before I put one high in his neck (about the only shot I had). You can see the entrance hole in the picture just below the ear. Not much for points, but he is 19" inside.
SD%20whitey.jpg

Unless I decide to shoot a doe in MT, it looks like I am done for the year.

Hey oscar i still haven't got the pics from my uncle yet so you should just take a pic of the skull mount you did for me and put it in this topic.

And by the way i found a dead deer and took the antlers off it and scored them at 129 6/8 so i might post a pic of those

I put a couple of does in the cooler when Gun season this weekend! One was a TROPHY DOE! She gross scored 150

(that is in pounds live weight)
Good start, only 37 does to go on our farm!
No photos, but I got some FINE tenderloins & backstraps for dinner tonight. :D

These are all great animals and all should be proud of their kills, they are all trophies.... :D :D :D

MAN guys.. I'm dam PROUD of ALL of ya !!!!!

KEEP the pictures coming.... I know others have been posted that aren't in here...

ANYONE able to find another HUNTING board were there is more kill pics on it, LEMME know, Becasue I think of the 100's of boards out there, YOU guys ROCK the best !!!! KEEP um coming guys !!!!!

DANG NICE pictures... (Except for Flipper, but we can deal with his ugly mug ;))

Well,
I posted these on another site, but here they go again.

The story behind my deer hunt:

I hunted elk, muleys and whitetails on the rifle opener and came home with a 4-pt whitetail. Here's the story (it's kinda long so get ready).

I hiked into my spot in the moonlight. I left my Dad in the pick-up several hours before first light. He planned to hunt the first drainage (closer to the pick-up) and I would hunt the second drainage. I hit the second drainage about an hour before light and waited. First light came and I heard about 4 shots off to the south. I tried to get to my typical vantage point to see what might be coming my way and as I approached it, I heard a bugle down below me. I gave up trying to make it to my typical vantage point and instead sneaked downslope and found about 40 head of elk crossing a fenceline at about 300 yards. I didn't see any bull bigger than a 5-pt as I quickly glassed them. As I worked down the slope to get into a better shooting position (in case there was a 6-pt that I hadn't seen), the elk herd flared and trotted straight down the ridge on the other side of a thick timber patch. I made it to a good shooting position and watched, sure enough a 3-pt and 4-pt bull came trotting out and crossed the fence at about 200 yd. They weren't big enough to merit a 4 mile debone and backpack. So, I slipped quietly downslope along the opposite side of the patch thinking the whole herd would hold up in there for a few minutes.

I made it to a good crossing point in the tree patch and snuck through only to find that they had vacated the drainage and left the area instead of holding up in there. Oh well. I started back up the slope through the tree patch looking for any stragglers. Next thing I know a small bull jumps up and runs out of the timber patch across the open hillside and BOOOOMMM! I knew I hadn't fired the shot, and sure enough, here comes another hunter to claim his kill (a 2-pt bull). Now I knew why the elk had flared and run down the hill instead of holding up in that timber patch. I congratulated the hunter and moved on.

Soon after, I bumped into the hunter's buddy. He told me they were with an outfitter and there is one more dude (as I call them) in this drainage and about three more in the next. Oh boy, now I know my hunt is pretty much over in this drainage, but I still had 4 miles to hunt on my way out to the pick-up. I stopped at another of my favorite glassing points in this drainage and spotted a decent 22" 4-pt muley bedded down in some scattered trees about 700 yards away. I also spot the three horses the dudes had ridden into this drainage. They were tied up between me and the bedded muley. I knew the third dude was around somewhere, but I decided to go ahead and try a sneak on the buck anyway, maybe this decent buck was with his bigger brother. As I was creeping through some timber on my way to the bedded buck, I catch movement down below me. It's the third dude, and he's walking along totally oblivious to the fact there is a decent muley (and maybe other bucks) about 200 yards ahead! Oh well. I gave it up and headed straight up and out of that drainage.

As I approached the saddle that led to the second drainage, what do I find but the outfitter and two more dudes. Gee, we're having a little party up here, I guess. I say hello and good luck and move down into the second drainage. I am crossing the drainage and hear a single shot, and then 5 more shots in rapid succession. I get to a position where I can glass a little and see 10 elk heading out the other side of the drainage. I was hopeful that one of those shots had been my Dad ventilating a decent bull out of that group of 10 elk. I hit the bottom of that drainage and see my Dad on the slope above me. We meet up and he tells me he took a shot at a small 6-pt, the largest bull in the group, and missed clean. The other 5 shots were taken by, get this, another guide and two more dudes! That makes one outfitter, one guide and seven dudes. Now I know it's time to leave.

My Dad and I head out of the drainage back toward the pick-up. On our way out we crossed the tracks of the bull that the dudes had taken 5 shots at. Sure enough, there was blood in them. I tracked them up to the point where they crossed a fence onto private land that was leased by the outfitter. I could follow no further and the outfitter was about 3 miles away at this point. All I could do was pray the bull would either be taken by another dude soon or would heal and make it another year.

As my Dad and I dropped off the ridge and across a wide open, grassy field, my Dad spots a couple coyotes running off a bare ridge to the east of us. I glass the ridge and get a glimpse of a deer standing there at about 400 yds. It immediately lays down and I could see it had it's head on it's front feet like a dog, and it's a decent whitetail buck. I had never seen a deer lay down like that before. I figured the buck had been injured by the coyotes and was near death, so I told my Dad I was going to hike up there and check it out. I hike to within about 250 yds of the deer before it stands up and walks over the ridge top. Now I'm thinking, "what the heck?!?". I top out on the ridge and there is a small brush patch below me. I see the deer's white tail flash and the next instant that buck bolts out of there like lightening! I size him up and decide it's time to take a shot. I raise my rifle and take a quick shot. Missed (or so I thought). I put another shell in the chamber and this time I take a little more time and swing with him and BOOMMM! I know he is hit hard as he disappears around the curve of the bald ridge. I walk the 60 or 75 yards between us and he's already expired. Now I see that the first shot I made had chipped his right antler, and my second shot was right through the vitals which made him cartwheel to a "dead" stop. As he cartwheeled he had broken the chipped antler completely off and had split his nose when he plowed into the hard ground, which ruined his cape. Oh well, after a minute of looking him over, I verified he hadn't been touched by any coyote, he had just been a sneaky whitetail buck that was trying to hide in the wide open! My second shot had not touched anything but a little rib meat. The rest of the deer was untouched and would yield alot of prime meat. My Dad and I quartered him and carried him the short distance to the pick-up.

Here's the pic.
brokenwtail1.jpg

My deer hunting was over the first day of the rifle season. I didn't hold off to chase those monster muleys like I usually do, but at that time, my infant son was to have surgery soon in SLC, so I was not sure what this hunting season might bring. It's good to have meat in the freezer, muley or not.

I have repaired the antlers since I got that buck. They look pretty darn fine if I do say so myself.

Here's the photo:
112202113138AM3702_TN.jpg

Here's the story:

My Dad and I had been hunting elk, muleys and whitetails for two days. The weather was really dry and the wind had been blowing hard out of the west and north both days, so we had been hunting the thick timber. Needless to say we hadn't seen much game. I often forget that when the wind is blowing hard enough to annoy me, it annoys the game, too. Finally, on the third day we decided to try hunting the open east and south facing slopes that had some scattered timber that would be out of the wind.

We went into one of our hunting spots that requires us to take off our hunting boots, put on hip waders, wade a medium-sized creek, and throw the waders back across to the other guy so he can cross. Well, we left the pick-up way before light so we could get to our favorite vantage point by the time it got light. When it came time to cross the creek, my Dad crossed first. It was totally dark, no moon and enough cloud cover that starlight wasn't too helpful either. Anyway, he takes off the hip boots and says "here they come, one at a time!" and gives the first one the old heave-ho. Next thing I know I get bashed in the head with a hip wader. That woke me up enough to get up and away from the creek for his next throw.

Once we crossed the creek, we walked the couple or three miles to our vantage point and waited for light. We were hoping we might catch an elk out in the meadow across from us before they ducked into the timber for the day, but no such luck. Instead, there were 5 muleys in the meadow; four does and one little fork buck. We watched the meadow for about an hour. After that hour was over the five deer decided it was time to head for cover, so we decided to follow their lead and work the scattered timber on the south slope and see what we could find. We had worked our way through about half the timber when I spotted a 3 x 3 muley moving through a small opening, likely following a doe or two (it was the peak of the rut). So, we change plans and head for the edge of scattered timber so we can get a look at this group of deer. As we broke into another opening on the way to where the second group of deer should have been, I spotted a few more deer. We were in the open in sight of the deer, so we hit the ground and started to watch the group to see if there were any good bucks. After about 10 minutes, a decent 4 x 4 showed himself near the edge of the timber.

There were a couple does feeding in the open near the buck, so we had to wait about 10 more minutes for the does to feed into the timber before we belly-crawled toward the buck. He had no clue we were in the area by the time we got into position at 250 yards. My Dad and I are very selective about the deer we take each hunting season. My Dad asked me to size up the buck. I glassed for about a minute and told my Dad it was 20-22" wide with 4 pts on both sides, and that I thought I could see brow tines. I also told him one of the back forks wasn't as good as the back fork on the other side and the antlers didn't have much mass (can you tell I've been hunting muleys for a long time?). Given the fact this was the last day of the season that I could hunt with my Dad because my infant son was having some health problems, he decided that buck would satisfy him, especially since he had me there to help him pack out the meat.

One shot and it was over. We took the photos, I caped the buck (too sell it, not keep it. It's not that big as you can see), we cut off the quarters and other meat and had no problem packing it out in one trip. It was a really great hunt, especially since I was with my Dad and had been able to size up the buck so well before he took it.

By the way, my infant son is doing much better now. The surgeon in SLC didn't do any surgery, but did put a feeding tube in my son so we could feed him in such a way that he wouldn't puke it all back up. He has a rare type of hernia that so far, has stunted his growth alot. The surgeon in SLC may do the surgery in about 2 months. In the meantime, my son is getting the nutrition he needs to grow normally, so life is good.

Believe it or not, once I get the photos developed, I'll have one more hunting story and muley buck pic to share with all of you.

Good luck to all who still have tags and freezers to fill.

berto

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-03-2002 09:52: Message edited by: berto ]</font>

Great deer Maniac...Was there a story I missed some where..LOL..
Welcome to HuntTalk Berto..Hope you post more, great story great pics..Congrats on your dad and you...Where in Mt. you live.. :D

Hi Moosie, here is a Doe I shot today. Haven't seen a buck yet but still look'in. It weighed 130lbs. and was shot with a 6.5-06 120gr. Nosler B.T.

doe1.jpg

Jude;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back