Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado wolf referendum, 168,000 signatures gathered.

Bowhunter65

What is your stance on the 168,000 referendum signatures gathered to reintroduce the non-native Canadian grey wolf to Colorado. What do you think of a Montana senator Mike Phillips and his involvement in the introduction. I feel really sorry for the hunters in Colorado, look what we lost here in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.

What is your stance on the 168,000 referendum signatures gathered to reintroduce the non-native Canadian grey wolf to Colorado. What do you think of a Montana senator Mike Phillips and his involvement in the introduction. I feel really sorry for the hunters in Colorado, look what we lost here in Montana, Idaho and Wyoming.

This has been discussed on a couple other threads. That said, opposed to reintroduction, fine with their natural migration (because there is literally nothing we can do about it)... which given the target date of the bill is 2023 and the fact that their will be litigation, natural migration and introduction may be coincidental.

It's people in the wealthy mountains communities and here on the front range who have bought into and image of a Disney wolf howling on a mountaintop somewhere, no surprise they have so many signatures (I'm surprised it's only 168K!)...and very, very, very few of them will ever actually see a wild wolf even if there was a large established population here.

This has been discussed on a couple other threads. That said, opposed to reintroduction, fine with their natural migration (because there is literally nothing we can do about it)... which given the target date of the bill is 2023 and the fact that their will be litigation, natural migration and introduction may be coincidental.

Sorry to be nit-picky, but that's not migration. Pet peeve of mine.

Sorry to be nit-picky, but that's not migration. Pet peeve of mine.

With animals it's typically used to mean periodic movement from one region to another, but the word can be used to denote one way movement. Think of how the word is used in the context of humans, or cells.

With animals it's typically used to mean periodic movement from one region to another, but the word can be used to denote one way movement. Think of how the word is used in the context of humans, or cells.

I suppose so. My apologies.

As a front ranger opposed to reintroduction, I mainly have a problem with people on the eastern half of the state making decisions that won't affect them at all, but could have profound impacts on people on the western slope. I'd be happy to see wolves (and Grizzly Bears) in CO if they make it here on their own. It is certainly a very strategic campaign by the Rocky Mountain Wolf Project. Targeting college campuses on the front range and wealthy mountain towns where they know they can get signatures. If this goes through, I wonder where the money will come from.

Reactions: ZBB
Thank god for the referendum system. Mob rule is always best.

Those pesky canadian wolves... at least they're polite.

It's people in the wealthy mountains communities and here on the front range who have bought into and image of a Disney wolf howling on a mountaintop somewhere, no surprise they have so many signatures (I'm surprised it's only 168K!)...and very, very, very few of them will ever actually see a wild wolf even if there was a large established population here.
Or by all those folks that visit the Wolf Sanctuary up in Divide, go in a cage and get licked on the face and get a nice photo to place on the mantle.

If this goes through, I wonder where the money will come from.

It's kinda murky on that point... full text, it seems like it's suggest that additional funds would be appropriated to the department?

1573503830128.png

Appropriating more funds to the department might upset CPAW's business enterprise status¹, as the amount of state funding the department can receive is capped.

I can also read this as saying the funds would come out of the Wildlife Cash Fund, which is made up of hunting and fishing license dollars²

1573503110150.png

1. Enterprise Status CO Rev Stat § 33-9-105
1573503702921.png

2. Wildlife Cash Fund CO Rev Stat § 33-1-112
1573504318066.png

Attachments

• 1573503046820.png
    1573503046820.png
    44.5 KB · Views: 2
Completely opposed to wolves in Colorado. My ancestors helped rid the wolf from here no reason to bring them back that I can see. I’m not sure they were the big Canadian variety that they’re trying to introduce now. Kiss our giant elk herd goodbye folks.

I think forced reintroduction would suck, especially if it's paid for by sportsmen's dollars. My guess, this passes, but it's tied up in court for years. Especially if funding is not figured out. I read the full text and they don't seem to identify the funding source.

It's time to bring all the hunters and anglers that oppose this issue, to the front line and make your voices heard. I don't mean on hunt talk bitching. I don't even live in Colorado, but i wrote a letter opposing this issue to Colorado this summer. I'm not here criticizing anybody.
Personal I like the idea of them there, but to have them jammed down your throat, hell no.
I'll put this out there, if someone knows who else to contact and send letters too. Let me know.

Completely opposed to wolves in Colorado. My ancestors helped rid the wolf from here no reason to bring them back that I can see. I’m not sure they were the big Canadian variety that they’re trying to introduce now. Kiss our giant elk herd goodbye folks.
They also helped us get rid of all those pesky deer. and elk. and antelope. That was cool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back