Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado wolves….

Elktrack

I sincerely hope this doesn’t devolve into an anti wolf thread.

With that said, I’m curious what you Colorado fellas are doing about the upcoming introduction? Let me first say that I’ve never hunted in CO and don’t have first hand experience with your critters. I’ve only been there a handful of times and the majority of what I have seen was from a “tourist “ point of view. (I covered a whole lot of the state one time on a 96 hour libo but that’s another story.)

I read a RMEF article that said CO has more elk than MT and WY combined. After visiting there and seeing all the elk and the habitat, I believe it! Elk everywhere.
But, Not for long….IMO

I’m pretty passionate about the impact wolves have had here in Idaho and have tons of first hand, in the field, boots on the ground, whatever you wanna call it, non professional biologist experience. Don’t know how else to say it, but I know what I’m talking about, as a “consumptive user” of Idaho’s resources and I can tell you they’re a nightmare.

Bottom line is;
You boys are about to get hammered with an apex predator that thrives in rugged nasty country and I feel for ya. They are hard to hunt and damn hard to trap.

Wolves aren’t new to CO I know, but importing them and giving them a minimum population number is something that will never be overcome. They are the zebra mussel of predators. Never go away and don’t get better. Especially when you’ve got uninformed voters calling the shots vs. game management professionals and laws that don’t take into account anything other than a measurable population number that isn’t “verifiable”.

Are there any Sportsman’s groups or anything trying to rally and get a defense plan in place? Y’all need to get together now. I know from first hand experience what it takes to get everyone together (hound hunters, trappers, elk hunters, stockman, fish and game) but it’s the only way to get a seat at the table and stand any kind of chance to fight back.

Here is one organization I found…

I would recommend other hunters get involved. Despite the ballot initiative passing by a slim margin, Polis and chronies believe they have an overwhelming mandate to introduce wolves quickly and far reaching. With one party enjoying the support of the urban/suburban metro areas and complete domination of state politics, it will require organized opposition from hunters.

And it is more than just wolves, our hunting traditions will be challenged in CO in the future, just look at Washington to see what it could look like.

It is hard to say what to do about it now. The ballot initiative passed and the draft plan release plan is out. Best I can say is read the draft plan and poke holes in it and comment. The more good, substantive comments they get the better the final plan, at least in theory. Writing a comment saying that wolves are bad is not going to cut it. I haven't read the entire draft plan yet, but I have some issues with it so far...

1) They chose the Roaring Fork Valley as a release area. The elk here are not doing well at all and some biologists believe that if trends continue the elk could be gone forever (seems a little overblown, but it is still bad). I haven't seen this mentioned in the plan, only that elk seem to be doing well statewide.

2) CPW plans to release on state and private land because they can't afford and don't have time for a NEPA review. I'm kind of surprised they admitted this. No doubt wolves will spread to federal public lands and may have significant impacts. I'm not a lawyer, but my view is that this would require NEPA.

3) Apparently the law states that “Restoration of the gray wolf to the state must be designed to resolve conflicts with persons engaged in ranching and farming in this state.” This doesn't make sense to me. Wolves will not resolve conflicts with livestock and introducing them will only bring more conflicts. It seems impossible to design a restoration plan that resolves conflicts.

I'm sure there are more red flags, it will just take some time to tease them out. Read the plan and comment!!

i suspect the idea is to design a plan that can adequately address and resolve conflicts. not to have the wolves resolve conflicts. the plan needs a plan for conflict and it needs to be good.

i mean they have a legal mandate to do it. so it is what it is.

it's really the last thing on my mind anymore.

but did they decide where the damage money is coming from? better be coming from the general fund.

The wolf plan is interesting, the pro-wolf groups are already crying about it. It's too late to really "fight-back" as you say, we did and the battle was lost by a very small margin, surprisingly small in my opinion considering the vast number of idiot I-25 voters.

My outfitter buddy is going to sell wolf looky-loo horsey rides to the city folk. The tours will be very expensive, and they will probably never actually see a wolf.

NR's will get as much voice in this as they had in Colorado deciding to go from 65/35 to 80/20 for DEA licenses over 6 points.....

Why fight the fight? Just let it happen.

NR's will get as much voice in this as they had in Colorado deciding to go from 65/35 to 80/20 for DEA licenses over 6 points.....

Why fight the fight? Just let it happen.
CPW did not want forced wolf introduction. Management by ballot undermines biology and professional experience as guiding priorities of resource management. Polis' partner is very tied in to the national wolf restoration movement. W that as context, CPW is doing its duly diligent job in planning wolf introduction. One wonders if some decisions (no NEPA) were deliberately included to invite lawsuits to slow or derail reintroduction until something else comes along, like a ballot initiative to undo the previous one, or like natural wolf migration from WY.

Jim Heffelfinger gave a really compelling argument against the wolf reintroduction on the HT podcast. The boiled down version is that agencies have invested a lot of effort to get the Mexican wolf reintroduced in New Mexico that will be effectively ruined by releasing Canadian wolves on their doorstep. It's worth a listen for sure, and is a good place to get material for making a substantive comment to the plan.

CPW did not want forced wolf introduction. Management by ballot undermines biology and professional experience as guiding priorities of resource management. Polis' partner is very tied in to the national wolf restoration movement. W that as context, CPW is doing its duly diligent job in planning wolf introduction. One wonders if some decisions (no NEPA) were deliberately included to invite lawsuits to slow or derail reintroduction until something else comes along, like a ballot initiative to undo the previous one, or like natural wolf migration from WY.
Marlon is also tied to the folks who introduced the PAUSE Act and also now he's getting involved in the BLM/Wild Horse roundups.

CPW is doing its duly diligent job in planning wolf introduction.
1673030586975.png
One wonders if some decisions (no NEPA) were deliberately included to invite lawsuits to slow or derail reintroduction until something else comes along

Probably just the agency trying to abide by the law, there is a statutory time frame, avoiding Fed regs where possible is obviously necessary.

We don't have to like it, but it's just the agency following the rules, voted on by the citizens of the state.

Great point above on the Mexican wolves in NM. I've written the CPW several times regarding the reintroduction of the wolves. The current issue that may determine the future of hunting in Colorado will be which wolves get released in Colorado.
New Mexico has reintroduced the Mexican wolf. The greater Yellowstone eco-system went with the Canadian grey wolf which are probably larger the original wolves that were in Yellowstone.

The question now becomes what wolf should Colorado release? I am 100% in favor continuing the Mexican wolf reintroduction that New Mexico has been working on. If a larger wolf is recommended maybe something more like the wolves that reside in Wisconsin.
What was the original size of the wolf in Colorado? That is the question.
Placing a Canadian wolf on an arid southwestern landscape makes no sense at all.

BigFin what do you think? I think the CPW really needs to take a lot of things into consideration when deciding which wolves to reintroduce.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back