Colorado Unit 61/62

RWesten

Hey all, I’m looking for any information or just basic discussion. Long story short my dad has been archery hunting unit 62 the last 25 years or so, last 5 have been around the divide/Dave woods road. I’ve been the last 10 archery hunting as well.

He’s now got enough points to hopefully draw a muzzleloader 61 tag in 2021 and he’s wanting to be as prepared as possible to make the most of his once in a lifetime hunt.

We will be out there in 62 again this year, he will be archery hunting again and I’ll be bringing a muzzleloader for the first time

Honestly 61 is similar to 62. Pick a canyon and go. With as much time as you've spent in 62, 61 should be no problem

Hey all, I’m looking for any information or just basic discussion. Long story short my dad has been archery hunting unit 62 the last 25 years or so, last 5 have been around the divide/Dave woods road. I’ve been the last 10 archery hunting as well.

He’s now got enough points to hopefully draw a muzzleloader 61 tag in 2021 and he’s wanting to be as prepared as possible to make the most of his once in a lifetime hunt.

We will be out there in 62 again this year, he will be archery hunting again and I’ll be bringing a muzzleloader for the first time

I was introduced into archery hunting a couple of years too late. I started whitetail hunting in 1987. I joined a local bowhunting club. One of the best decisions I have ever made! Long story short: I heard about Colorado's preference system and started accumulation points 2 years too late. I currently have 27 points. I have wanted to get enough points to get an archery elk tag in GMU 40. For the last 15 years I have been a year and now 2 years behind the curve to be able to draw it. I am now 65 and in the best shape of my life. No, I can't go as hard and as fast as I used to. I've never been accused of being smart, but I don't see that I will ever be able to draw an archery elk tag in 10. If I ever did wait long enough, I would not be able to archery hunt the tag. PLAN "B". I am going to apply in a unit where I think I have enough points to draw for this fall (2023). Looking at the research online I have decided on GMU 61 with GMU 40 as a second choice. It's a once in a life time tag for me. I cannot afford to "buy" a tag from a landowner/outfitter. I am self employed and can come out as many days as needed before the season begins. I can stay for the entire season. I have been fortunate to have killed 5 elk with a bow (2 in Colorado). This may sound weird to many hunters, but I would rather hunt the entire season & not fill my tag with a bow than to shoot a large bull with a firearm. Please under stand I mean no disrespect. I've been luck to shoot 4 elk with a firearm. I am looking for any input on my decisions to apply for 61 or possibly 40. I have atatched the bull I killed in September of 2021 in the Blackhills of SD.4X6 adjuxted.jpg

why not apply for archery in 61 or 40? both are good.

with the whole season to hunt I would chose 61.

No sense putting in for unit 40 second choice on the app, unless you meant you were undecided on putting in for 61 or 40.

I would have archery hunted unit 76 many years ago and about to draw 76 again had I been in your shoes.

have hunted 76 and 61 the former archery, the latter rifle.

Last edited:
76 is a good unit, nothing what it was 15 years ago unfortunately

61 is a better archery unit in my opinion. I live local to both. 40 is producing tremendous bulls and I think has potential for a bigger bull, but as a fellow archery hunter 61 will produce more opportunities (more bulls) and make for a more memorable season. While still leaving the opportunity to turn up something big if you are patient. Best of luck!

61 is a better archery unit in my opinion. I live local to both. 40 is producing tremendous bulls and I think has potential for a bigger bull, but as a fellow archery hunter 61 will produce more opportunities (more bulls) and make for a more memorable season. While still leaving the opportunity to turn up something big if you are patient. Best of luck!
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the direct, honest info. There are a few out there that just want to trash talk or bash you. In general I have been impressed with the exchange of info. The picture below is the bull elk I killed in 2020. My trail camera "got" him as he exploded after the shot. Kind of cool.

Attachments

• running away 5x7.jpg
    running away 5x7.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
That is a cool shot. While I don’t love Colorados willingness to handout nearly unlimited Over the Counter non resident tags, I take no issue with out of state guys saving via the point system and earning a quality tag. If I can be of any help in planning your hunt, don’t hesitate to reach out. Best of luck!

I can think of a bunch of ponds in 61 where you could reenact that photo pretty much exactly...
as @elkduds says, a lot of private property to contend with in 40, not a real problem in 61...
you won't have a bad time in 61, more elk than you can imagine and a few big ones, with the whole season to hunt you stand a good chance of finding a big guy and figuring out how to kill him... shoot me a PM if you draw and I can give you some beta, I spend a lot of time in the unit.

Much of the best elk habitat in 40 is on private, pay to play. 61, a larger unit, has many times more public land, elk and access than 40.
Agreed! 40 has been turning out a handful of bigger bulls off public land the last several years. It will also have more pressure on that smaller acreage for a similar quantity of tags. 61 is primarily public and will produce more opportunities and still holds some big bulls. I’m 2 years out on 61 as a resident archer and could currently draw 40 whenever I apply and I’m still holding out for 61. Because 30 days of the lessons learned from interactions, close calls, messed up stalks, passings, and hopefully filling a tag is worth more to me for my point investment than a potentially bigger bull.

Unit 40 public land is about a 6 pt tag in my opinion. It's currently taking around 15 as a NR. I think 61 is by far the better option for Public land hunters.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the direct, honest info. There are a few out there that just want to trash talk or bash you. In general I have been impressed with the exchange of info. The picture below is the bull elk I killed in 2020. My trail camera "got" him as he exploded after the shot. Kind of cool.
When you have 10 or 15 posts, then you can send PMs to individual members. This includes replies to comments in forums.

Assuming that I draw an archery elk tag for GMU 61 this fall, "Do I haul my Polaris ATV to Colorado?" I have heard yes from 1 hunter. I have heard no from another. I have never been in the unit, so I don't know the terrain or regulations. It would be licensed and insured.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back