Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Unit 54

Sounds like a ton of fun, 54 is a unit we looked at but decided on another last year.

Follow up on my 54 hunt....got my ass kicked and saw more bears on public than elk. But it was a hell of a better view than at work. Loved the experience.
My buddy and I have bear rifle and muzzleloader tags for September for 54. We are not going after any other species. If it would be alright can we DM about getting on some bears? I am excited to get out west for my first CO hunt!

this is might first backpacking trip for elk. Going to unit 54 3rd rifle otc. I’m looking up cow creek area or coal creek messa. Any advice would be great for that time of year. I’m about as prepared as I’m going to be coming from Alabama. I have no concern putting time/miles behind me. Are there descent glassing areas up that canyon? Thanks.

Hunted it 10 years.
If you do not have chains and 4wd, I would think twice about getting deep. Ive left during the old 4th season (Nov13-19th) pushing snow with my bumper many years and one time with the hood.
If you don;t have a hot tent. think twice again.
That's thinking 4 times.
Seriously, if you get nearer the season and a storm is forecast. Stay as close to whatever hwy/road you can and hike in if you must. probably down in the zero degree range in the mornings. It gets very serious and I have seen guys get absolutely worked out there.

I hunted deer in 54 last year and I saw quite a few elk. I was also amazed at how much effort the successful hunters were putting in to get to them.

Hunted it 10 years.
If you do not have chains and 4wd, I would think twice about getting deep. Ive left during the old 4th season (Nov13-19th) pushing snow with my bumper many years and one time with the hood.
If you don;t have a hot tent. think twice again.
That's thinking 4 times.
Seriously, if you get nearer the season and a storm is forecast. Stay as close to whatever hwy/road you can and hike in if you must. probably down in the zero degree range in the mornings. It gets very serious and I have seen guys get absolutely worked out there.
Thanks. Yeah I have a hot tent but no stove lol. I have 4x4 and Geri g two sets of chains. Zero degree big Agnes down bag with 6 r value pad. Trying to make do with what I have. If 54 is a good start for a first timer then what unit would you recommend? Thanks again. Remember my expectations are low. But I’ll still be pushing myself.

I hunted deer in 54 last year and I saw quite a few elk. I was also amazed at how much effort the successful hunters were putting in to get to them.
I’m willing to give it everything I’ve got to find’em. May not be enough but it won’t be from lack of tryin lol.

Thanks. Yeah I have a hot tent but no stove lol. I have 4x4 and Geri g two sets of chains. Zero degree big Agnes down bag with 6 r value pad. Trying to make do with what I have. If 54 is a good start for a first timer then what unit would you recommend? Thanks again. Remember my expectations are low. But I’ll still be pushing myself.
That sounds good. If you carry a good attitude out there and are confident to improvise when you need to, you’ll do fine. Meaning that, it will be an adventure. Aka, if You can stomach that you may not get to shoot an elk the first year, but hopefully you get to see a bunch and get shot opportunities, then it will be a great trip. If you have to kill one, and would be totally bummed if you don’t, that is a different set of challenges.
If you don’t fall down, then you never learn your limits. Just don’t pull a chris McCandless from “into the wild”! Lol, just kidding. You’ll have a hell of a story when you get home.

Side note, what I think all the locals are concerned about out here is folks getting in over their head, cause we’ve seen it so many times. Out here, if you can’t hold your own, it’s looked down upon. I’m not saying that is wrong, because I pride myself for being self sufficient and hard working.
Not saying this will be you, but I run into new hunters way over their Head, flailing all over the place. And we’re too nice out here not to help, but it takes away from our “vacation” or really our “Provision of sustenance” time.
I hope that helps clarify. Get some

That sounds good. If you carry a good attitude out there and are confident to improvise when you need to, you’ll do fine. Meaning that, it will be an adventure. Aka, if You can stomach that you may not get to shoot an elk the first year, but hopefully you get to see a bunch and get shot opportunities, then it will be a great trip. If you have to kill one, and would be totally bummed if you don’t, that is a different set of challenges.
If you don’t fall down, then you never learn your limits. Just don’t pull a chris McCandless from “into the wild”! Lol, just kidding. You’ll have a hell of a story when you get home.

Side note, what I think all the locals are concerned about out here is folks getting in over their head, cause we’ve seen it so many times. Out here, if you can’t hold your own, it’s looked down upon. I’m not saying that is wrong, because I pride myself for being self sufficient and hard working.
Not saying this will be you, but I run into new hunters way over their Head, flailing all over the place. And we’re too nice out here not to help, but it takes away from our “vacation” or really our “Provision of sustenance” time.
I hope that helps clarify. Get some
Thanks. Will do!

Is it worth getting a bear tag since they are only 100 bucks? Not sure if I’ll be see bears in November. But my luck is I’ll not have a tag and that’s all I’ll see

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back