Colorado sheep

Oak

Expert
As many of you know, I was lucky enough to draw a Colorado sheep license this year after only 15 years of applying. I debated whether to post anything about the hunt before it was over, but decided that I can post some scenery photos from my scouting trips. Sorry, the real sheep photos will have to wait, and this isn't going to be a novel like sneakem. ;) I'm sure some of you will recognize the country...it can be our secret.

I went down for a day trip with my son on the July 4 weekend and got him set up on some sheep with the Hubble. For some reason, sheep 2.5 miles away are not as exciting to him as they were to me.

Glassing.jpg

I made my first real scouting trip last weekend and saw some beautiful, familiar country.

MS.jpg

Ptarmagin 1.jpg

NC.jpg

Camp at 12,800'.
Camp1.jpg

Sunrise.jpg

CC.jpg

SB.jpg

CG.jpg

Here are a few sheep I found over the weekend.

Sheep2.jpg

Sheep1.jpg

The season starts one month from tomorrow. I have 13 more days of scouting marked on the calendar.

Last edited:
I seriously can't believe there are that many domestics in an area with wild sheep. Any disease issues in the area?

I seriously can't believe there are that many domestics in an area with wild sheep. Any disease issues in the area?

This population is split into two hunting units, which comprise two mostly separate population segments, although there is some interaction. One unit was closed from 1986-1990 after a die-off reduced the population to approximately 40 individuals. The other unit was closed from 1991-2005 after a die-off reduced the population to approximately 20-25. The current population estimate for the combined herds is 360. The herd management plan estimates that the area could support up to 2,000 bighorns, but the population objective is being held at 400-500 due to the prevalence of public land domestic sheep allotments and the concern over disease transmission.

The current population estimate for the combined herds is 360. The herd management plan estimates that the area could support up to 2,000 bighorns, but the population objective is being held at 400-500 due to the prevalence of public land domestic sheep allotments and the concern over disease transmission.

Ugh! Talk about a punch in the gut.

Good luck with the hunt, sheep hunting is something I truly hope I get to do at least once in my life.

If you told me you were hunting Dall I'd believe it. Amazing country.

"The herd management plan estimates that the area could support up to 2,000 bighorns, but the population objective is being held at 400-500 due to the prevalence of public land domestic sheep allotments and the concern over disease transmission. " Anybody else get that sick feeling in your stomach when you read this? Thanks for the pictures and good luck on your hunt Terry.

I am insanely jealous and excited for you. Good luck and I hope you find the one you are looking for! I can't wait to read about it.

Beautiful country!

Makes me a bit sad to see all those domestics in that territory for sure.

Great pics of some awesome country. Makes me want to go play in a rock slide.
Have fun and good luck on your hunt.

Wow. I had no idea there was that much tundra in Colorado.

Can't wait to follow this hunt! Good luck.

The scenery pics make me think maybe CO wouldn't be so bad. (wife likes it there)

The info about the domestic sheep is infuriating. They have no place within 20 miles of wild sheep, in my opinion.

It always made me kind of laugh when guys put the "some of you might recognize where this is" line. I mean, the mountains are huge and unless there is something like a road sign........then I see the second picture and I say, hey, I know where that is��

Great pictures Oak, and glad you get to take your son along for the trip.

Congratulations on the tag! Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy!
Aside from the mountain maggots, those are some beautiful photos!

The picture of your tent is great; the roof of the world looks near. I know you're appreciating every second in the Colorado alpine, Terry and all of the native creatures that call such a place home.

Back