Colorado Sarvis Creek Wilderness GMU 15

windymtnman

I'm headed up to the Sarvis Creek Wilderness in Northern Colorado, and will be hunting in GMU 15. This is a Cow Elk 2nd season rifle hunt. I've never been in this area, so wondering if this unit was as good a choice as the next? This was a left over tag purchased hunt, so we had to take what's available.
Just wondering if any readers are familiar with this area, can offer some advice about it, and what the country is like? I know it's lower altitude that where I usually hunt, but curious if it's mostly dark timber, or fairly open? Anyone know were a couple old guys can get a couple Cow Elk?
We plan to just camp at a trailhead someplace and try our luck.

Thanks!

Elk were being pulled out from multiple miles deep into wilderness. Guys hunting a mile or two in were not finding elk. A ton of hunters looking near the many forest roads in area were not seeing hardly any elk. This was during archery season this year.

No idea how it is in 2nd rifle season.

Google earth will tell you how much open land versus timbered there is..

We hunted the sw edge of the wilderness a few years ago.we hu nted on leftover cow tags went two for four.

Steep, dark and deep... Outfitters with horses... and plenty of company. But as mentioned go in 4 miles and there are elk...

I've never been in this area, so wondering if this unit was as good a choice as the next?

Just my opinion, but I think there are better elk units in CO that have higher elk densities, friendlier terrain, and still have plenty of leftover cow tags. Also, anywhere you go in CO will have crowds during rifle seasons.

Crowds is what Colorado Rifle seasons are known for ,but they do have lots of elk..When I hunt Colorado it is limited draw Black Powder when I can draw.

Have had some good times and some success in that unit, but you either hunt the nasty thick stuff or hope a herd gets bumped by you. Lots of elk. Wasn't really impressed by the green ridge area, but didn't spend a lot of time there. Look at the MVUM and pretty much cross off all the ATV accessible areas. We did most of our hunting outside of the wilderness area in tough to access pockets.

I'm back from our hunt on the East side of the Sarvis Creek Wilderness, GMU 15. In short, I was grossly disappointed in this area.
As stated by others, a lot of this area is very thick, young dark timber, laden with blowdowns. If there were Elk in there, they'd hear you coming, and you can't see much more than 30 yds in much of it.
I was on horseback and rode as deep as 5 miles into the area. I hunted off trail high and low. Hardly any ground sign to indicate Elk are living in this area. To me, that tells the story. If you're not seeing turds, tracks, signs of browsing, rubs, and trails, they are NOT there.
There's a fair amount of hunters during the 2nd season, however they also agreed with our take on the area. Hardly a shot heard, and of course they could be Deer hunting too.
I'll never go back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back