MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Rocky Mountain High

elkrchr

With the late third season deer hunt this year, a buddy and me took a chance and drew. I had previously drawn a fourth season deer tag in this unit back in 2013. The weather that year was sunny and hot, which is exactly what the forecast showed for this years hunt. I packed up my gear and left Portland, OR to meet up with my buddy Matt in the Tri-Cities area of WA. From there we headed for CO. Two beautiful, easy days of driving and we were at our rented cabin ready to hunt. Here are some photos from the drive to CO.

View attachment 64579View attachment 64580View attachment 64581View attachment 64582View attachment 64583

As Randy mentioned in his third season CO elk post, it was T-shirt and sunscreen weather. The deer moved good the first hour and a half and the last hour and a half each day, but the hours in between were absent of much movement. We saw plenty of deer, but no rutting activity. Many small bucks were passed up during our six day hunt. In the end, my itchy trigger finger got the best of me and I tagged a basket rack 3 x 5 while Matt ended up shooting a very nice 4 x 5. Both the bucks were loaded with fat and their tarsal glands were clean as a whistle. I also found a really big shed on our second day of hunting. Although the nice weather certainly didn't help get the big bucks up and moving, we had a great hunt, met some awesome local folks and came home with lots of memories, not to mention some mighty fine venison.

DSC07729.jpgDSC07759.jpgDSC07751.jpgDSC07749.jpgDSC07746.jpgDSC07708.jpgDSC07694.jpgDSC07684.jpgDSC07666.jpgDSC07792.jpg

Congrats on a successful trip! The weather was a little warm for sure this fall. Was the 4th season significantly different in buck numbers and size versus your experience this year?

Definitely saw more and bigger bucks during the 4th season three years ago. The nice bucks were just starting to show themselves as we were leaving.

Fun trip. Crazy to find a shed that looks like that this time of year. Did it look freshly shed on the burr?

Fun trip. Crazy to find a shed that looks like that this time of year. Did it look freshly shed on the burr?

I was thinking the same thing. That shed looks VERY fresh! I found some sheds from this year last week while I was hunting in New Mexico and they were faded pretty good already.

The deer that you guys shot are nice but that is a really nice shed!

Last edited:
that shed is from a toad of a buck I imagine.... must have been up under a tree not exposed to the sun too look that good. Congrats on taking respectable bucks.
Matt

As for the shed, it was definitely from this past spring. It was buried in a pinyon pine branch completely out of the sunlight. I just got lucky and happened to see the white of pedicle as I was walking by. Probably won't find another one like this in my lifetime!

Congrats on what looks like a fun hunt. We hunted 2nd and 3rd seasons this year and definitely had better weather for the 2nd season this year.

Bucks were only on their feet for a little bit in the morning and from about 4pm on in the evening. Occasionally we'd catch one standing up to pee or change their beds.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back