MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado OTC Elk tag? Which unit?

m0sfet

Hello,

I live in Colorado and new to the forum. I put in for both elk and deer this year and didn't get drawn. I've been thinking of getting an OTC elk tag. Can someone give me some advice as to if there's something near front range area (ie: Colorado Springs) that would provide good elk hunting for open rifle 3rd season? Thanks a bunch.

I hunt unit 53 and it is an OTC unit. I believe it's about a 4.5 hour drive from Colorado Springs, not sure if that's too far from you. I have been to that unit twice and was able to get into some good elk both times.

59 & 511 are OTC 3rd rifle and if you're in the Springs only a 15 minute drive from anywhere in town

Do you guys have any good spots to start scouting with? I am not familiar with those units at all.

You have a big edge on all the nonresidents, because you can scout the areas you want to hunt. Get out the maps, pick some areas, and go scout them. That's one of the biggest parts of the hunt and you need to learn how to do it.

Good luck.

You have a big edge on all the nonresidents, because you can scout the areas you want to hunt. Get out the maps, pick some areas, and go scout them. That's one of the biggest parts of the hunt and you need to learn how to do it.

Good luck.

^^^This!^^^
The most rewarding part of hunting is starting from scratch, or nothing, and pulling it all together and figuring the critters out, starting with a map.

Unfortunately I live very far away from CO and can't scout prior to my season. Google Earth is a great friend of mine.

Get some maps that identify national forest, BLM, state, etc. and get after it! Watch Randy's youtube videos on scouting. Fall is the best time to be in the mountains, and there are elk all over the place on CO...

Also, check out the Colorado Hunt Atlas out on the CPW website. You can bring up different overlays on their digital maps which identify summer ranges, winter ranges, migration corridors, etc. All that stuff is tremendously helpful when starting out from square one.

A couple things. Did you check the draw odds for the units that you applied for? We tried to apply for a couple tags when I had family that lived in wyoming....and were surprised when we didnt draw....come to find out the unit we wanted required 7-8 preference points. I felt silly after but I didnt know any better. This site is a great resource for info. I would look at an area you want to hunt and start getting a few points saved. But in the mean time go every chance you get in other areas. Pick a spot close to you that you can learn very well and hunt year in and year out with an OTC tag. Get far from the roads...at least 1 mile. 2-3 even better. Remember...every mile you get from the road you will leave more and more hunters behind you....but it is just that much farther when you do get an elk. Hunt into the wind. Learn about thermals...and where elk bed...and feed...and water. Where do they feel safe? Where will they go when thousands of people descend upon the rockies when september hits. Where will the bulls be when you plan to hunt. Are they more worried about food and water....or staking out "their" mountain and cutting a herd of cows? You will learn as you go....and make tons of mistakes. A mistake is never a waste....unless you don't learn from it. If you want to become a good hunter...you have to live and breath it. I read about the outdoors every chance I get. Learn from those who know what they are doing. There are plenty of them around this place. If someone gave you a "spot" then you would not learn how to find elk. I would look at the spots that some suggested above on google earth. What makes them good spots? Why do they hold elk? Where are the roads? Can people drive onto the land or is it walking only. I am still learning and not much farther along then you are....but I am a student of the game. I didnt have the advantage of growing up "out west" or living there now....so I have to make the best of my fall trips. Good luck this season!!!

Also, check out the Colorado Hunt Atlas out on the CPW website. You can bring up different overlays on their digital maps which identify summer ranges, winter ranges, migration corridors, etc. All that stuff is tremendously helpful when starting out from square one.

This too^

Totally slipped my mind...

If you are in state, its worth talking to friends and coworkers and figuring out where they go and why mostly. You have to figure out which guys are successful and which guys are just going to get away from their wives every week. With regard to resident areas my experience is that residents that are willing to drive anywhere in the state hunt more years on drawn tags and typically do better than the guys that just apply for the close units and then complain about draw odds or success. The trap residents face in my experience is they think locally instead of like out of state hunters where every option is on the table during the planning process.

If you are in state, its worth talking to friends and coworkers and figuring out where they go and why mostly. You have to figure out which guys are successful and which guys are just going to get away from their wives every week. With regard to resident areas my experience is that residents that are willing to drive anywhere in the state hunt more years on drawn tags and typically do better than the guys that just apply for the close units and then complain about draw odds or success. The trap residents face in my experience is they think locally instead of like out of state hunters where every option is on the table during the planning process.

There are some good points, I drive 5 hours to my elk area. But the local area's throw out some huge bulls. My gunsmith and one of the pastors at church hunt local and every year they seem to get 300"+ bulls less than an hour from my house.

At the BassPro in Colorado Springs, they sell GMU maps that allow you to look at the Topo within the GMU boundaries. These maps also show campgrounds and service roads. It should be a great starting point and if you aren't sure on a unit they have a table nearby that would allow for some quick research while in the store.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
See65
Back