Colorado OTC elk (and 3rd season deer)

Good luck. Hunted OTC, area 81 (Colorado) for six days straight... 8 miles per day and only saw one cow. Maybe all the elk are in Gunnison.

good luck to all
the dog

Damn hot. Nothing spotted this morning, other than hunters. Sitting on a high bench at 10,000' hoping some elk are up here trying to stay cool. So noisy with no snow. The elk and deer have a serious advantage these conditions. They say a weather system might soiree up on Friday. Sure hope so.

Time to glass up a target in the next two hours.

You got weather coming, hang in there.

Tonight
Nov 7
62°F
Observed High
3:45 pm
18°F
Clear
CHANCE OF SNOW:
0%

WIND:
NNE at 11 mph
Details

Thursday
Nov 8
60°
26°
Mostly Sunny
CHANCE OF RAIN:
0%

WIND:
SSE at 13 mph

Friday
Nov 9
54°
26°
Rain / Snow Showers / Wind
CHANCE OF RAIN:
30%

WIND:
S at 17 mph

Saturday
Nov 10
35°
15°

Snow Shower
CHANCE OF SNOW: - 40%

WIND:
WSW at 13 mph
Details

Sunday
Nov 11
30°

Snow Shower
CHANCE OF SNOW: 40%

WIND:
W at 11 mph
Details
10 Day Forecast ADVERTISEMENT

What is the word Fin?

The incoming weather system seems to be gaining strength. 1-2 Feet of snow expected in the San Juans.

Woke up this morning with a major live flare up. Not good, but if it was going to happen, best it happens on a day when it is this hot. Got part way down the road, then turned back to the motel. Spent five hours sleeping and an extra close of meds to get me back on my feet.

Bummed that it messed up Mark's morning, but I really have no choice. Sure felt better by noon.

This afternoon was going up to timberline. Since we saw nothing down lower, was time to head high. Climbed up and glassed down into a lot of great looking stuff. Tons of tracks on the way up. Sat in that wind and dropping temps until dark. Mark and Brad went a different direction and did the same. Huey saw the same as what we saw - nothing.

So, now that we have been at lower levels and highest levels, time to go to the middle transition areas. This is the thick crap where the aspen and oaks start to mix. Gonna be close quarters and loud noisy hiking. Almost not expecting to get any shots, rather locate at which zone they are, then figure out the places in that zone where shots might be possible.

Gonna be windy tomorrow as the weather comes in. Hope it is not too much too late. Really would like to see Mark shoot a bull. Just hard to pull off in this hot weather. Snow ans cold surely will help, even if it is only for the day or two of the hunt.

Time to get some sleep and gear up for some ugly hiking tomorrow.

Rain at 5:00 am needs to turn to snow, or we will be drenched rats from walking through the thick stuff. Hoping it is snow up higher.

Since we tried so high yesterday, thought trying a lower piece of rough stuff might work out. Lots of sign. One mule deer that maybe should have been shot, but no elk. Raining most of the day. Way prefer snow to rain when it comes to hunting.

Something might die in the next five hours.

One small buck this afternoon. Not sure what elk made these tracks. Maybe they flew south before the bad weather got here. Figures, the year I bring a Mark and tell him thus is like shooting fish in a barrel, this kind of weather shows up.

Next forkie might take one for the team. Mason and Brad are egging me on.

Good luck with the game and the health.

I was camped up at 9400 feet, but decided that with 1 - 2 feet of snow coming, it was time to pull stakes, so moved down to Gunnison yesterday. I had a good time and did manage to take what was probably the smallest deer tagged in the unit so far this year. Saw lots of relatively fresh elk sign (couple of days at the start of the season) but not the critters that made it.

Not if he has to break the law to do it.

Most states have exceptions for people with permanent physical limitations.
I totally agree....as long as he is with the limits of the law I dont have a problem with it. Im not from the west I just wanted to get the feeling of people who are.....:cool:

The forkie lives another day. Going up high again tomorrow. Looks like some snow hit up there.

I was in the San Juans from wednesday thru tuesday and it was the same for me .....dry as bone and warm. Heard that there was a storm coming and was going to wait til the end, but then I heard that the storm wasn't going to amount to much, so we came home. Now I'm wishing we had stayed because the forecast now for the San Juans is 16" - 24" snow for saturday......DOH !!!!!!!

ps.. they've even got a name for this storm....Brutus.

Hot - Yes / Done - NO

I feel your pain Randy, we hunted on the Unc 2nd and since my buddy from Oregon had already made plans for that season we stuck to it. It was hot, nasty, windy, but........ looky what happened... His first Elk !!! Two hours into it. The chances??

The rest of the week was yuk.... I'll take it though.

Attachments

• PA200146.jpg
    PA200146.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,019
Back