Caribou Gear

Colorado OTC elk (and 3rd season deer)

Quick question to all.....what if that guy with the ATV was mobility impared, needs a double knee replacement and has a bunch of other injuries that other wise would keep him from elk hunting? Do you still object to the ATV use? Just throwing it out there....:cool:

Thinking Gunnison could be one of the cooler hunting gowns I have been to. Lots of cool stuff for us traveling non-resident hunters.

Was a great wall tent we stayed in. Was made by Holiday Inn Express. First wall tent that came with continental breakfast.

Then did real breakfast at the Ol' Miner Steakhouse. Great food and some cool taxidermy displays. Frank, the owner, has three TVs going and two of them are locked into hunting channels.

Spent the rest of the morning at Gene Taylor's Sporting Goods store. Better inventory than those big stores that have lots of inventory but no inventory you need. Marshal and Andy gave us their best hunting advice that I had to promise would not be shared publicly.

Still Kickin' checked out the details of Gunnison Shipping in the event he needed to ship his big elk antlers back to Michigan. Followed by a trip to the Traders Rendezvous, which has the best and largest mule deer display I have ever seen.

Lunch at Palisades and some TV stuff with CPW and Gunnison Tourism and it was a wrap for the day.

Now, down to some serious warm weather hunting. Temps are crazy warm. No snow. Good news is that I decided to hedge our bet for this hunt by buying a cow tag while Mark bought an OTC bull tag. With my buck deer tag, only a few animals are safe - spike bull or a doe muley being off limits. Given the hunting conditions, it is going to be a challenge to fill any of these tags,

Regardless, I am in one of my favorite hunting places, western Colorado, with a great friend, and I have an elk and a deer tag in my pocket. What's not to like about that?

Hitting the rack. Will post any results as it happens.

Fin,

Miners Steakhouse is some great food. One can learn alot about taxidermy there.

If you have time, you need to eat at Mario's in Gunnison. That food is so good I want to rub it on my face.

Miners was great but what is this one trip salad bar crap? Must be an out west thing.:D

Good luck guys. I miss hunting Colorado (60s, 70s and 80s). Hope to make it down there again next year with my son in law.

Damn hot. Nothing spotted this morning, other than hunters. Sitting on a high bench at 10,000' hoping some elk are up here trying to stay cool. So noisy with no snow. The elk and deer have a serious advantage these conditions. They say a weather system might soiree up on Friday. Sure hope so.

Time to glass up a target in the next two hours.

Good luck Fin, sounds like you are having a great time and with a selection of tags in the back pocket you guys might get your hands dirty pretty soon!

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NTSS
Back