Colorado GMU 66 or 67

Wallow

This old boy was going to wait until 2021 to burn my 13 CO deer points but now I'm kicking around doing it this year. I've been digging into 66 3rd and 67 4th - as a CO resident, I should be able to draw either with room to spare. I will be able to do some scouting but realize the deer will most likely be higher up when I scout. I also kicked around going there in November this year to scout and then apply for the tag next year. Anyways at my age this will be a one and done kind of deal on big points units. I'd like a crack at a 180ish buck and am OK with eating the tag. Anyone have any recent intel they wouldn't mind sharing on either of those units? Thanks in advance.

I keep toggling back and forth between 66 3rd season and 67 4th. I have talked to the game wardens from both units and 2 others that have experience there and it's a 50/50 split on which way to go. Anyone that has hunted those units have an opinion?

Either could be a good hunt. I'd pick the longer season. I really dont' think a few days later will make any difference, and you can't count on the weather... Good luck!

Historical point data may no longer be valid either.

For sure. I'm not sure will happen this year with Covid 19 going on and some people reluctant to apply. Plus the 2021 dates are much later and better for deer hunts. I think 2021 is going to see a 2-3 point jump in some units.

I think what ppl should pay attention to in my opinion is there will be point creep this yr and next I fill especially 2021. Units w low tag numbers could see a big increase. Units w a large number of tags maynot be so affected. Keep that in mind when applying

I'm in the planning stages now like Wallow was a year ago. Was hoping Wallow would have some good news for us. Leaning towards a 3rd season buck hunt in unit 67. Tried to do some scouting a couple of weeks ago but most areas had access snowed in. Would like to hear ftom someone that has hunted 67 in the past year or two. Any advise would be very appreciated. TIA

Just drew Unit 66 2nd Rifle season with 12 points. I'm looking at the unit map and Google Earth and it looks like the North is pretty much BLM with no trees... seems odd compared to the alpine areas I've hunted in the past... the south of the unit is all wilderness... I can move a lot faster from glassing point to glassing point on the BLM - I just wonder if the deer will be there. Any advice?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back