Caribou Gear

Colorado GMU 5

Lrhxr9

Not looking for anyones honey hole. We have 3rd rifle season elk tags with the option of a deer tag instead. We will be hunting private land. Just looking for some input on what to expect as far as terrain and quality of animals. I am actually more interested in a muley than an elk. From my understanding the quality of deer is better? Any advice or general knowledge would be awesome.

The tag from what i understand is good for 4,5 and a couple others. It is 3rd rifle season otc elk tag. I havent checked on all the colorado rules and regs. But we are hunting private ground that is in eastern 4 and western 5. Prolly 80-90% of the ranch lies in unit 5.

4 and 5 unit wide deer licenses for 3rd season are separate tags but the private land only license is good for both units. Just make sure which type of tag you have so you stay on the right side of the law. OTC elk tag is good for both. I agree with 88man on his assessment.

10-4 on the unit compatibility of the tags. We are going to get 3rd rifle elk otc and the ranch owner mentioned he still had a deer landowner tag as well

That's why I asked. 4 has some good bucks running around. I wouldn't pass your typical 22 - 24 4x4 though. Lot's of deer, not alot of real monsters though. I have no experience in 5 but would imagine it's similar.

That's why I asked. 4 has some good bucks running around. I wouldn't pass your typical 22 - 24 4x4 though. Lot's of deer, not alot of real monsters though. I have no experience in 5 but would imagine it's similar.
When was the last time you were in that area? Do u have any experience with Brush Mountain Ranch?

I have not hunted elk in that area but I have hunted deer in that area. Success for you trophy hunter types goes way up in the remote areas away from the roads. There is a lot of elk in that area. I hunted deer in that area and saw several descent bulls in the north central part of that unit. I had a antlered deer license that year so I stayed away from the roads. Been a long time since then, but I don't think tactics for elk has changed much since then. They should be found in the remote areas.

Unit 4 has some good deer and is a good third season unit. I’ve tagged along with a few friends and they’ve all taken very respectable 4x4.

That all sounds like good news. Ive got one decent 4 pt. I think for me would be hard to pass up unless I was in a more trophy type unit. Surely with 7 days I can find something to shoot at. Still would def like a bull elk. I know theyre not huge in that area but ive got 2 cows and would like some horns instead of just pictures this time.

I hunted in 4 and 5 in 2018 for pronghorn. I picked up a nice set of mule deer sheds, so they're in there. Saw lots of pronghorn and a few deer. In 5 there's a combination of high desert sage at the lower elevations and forest up high. I didn't see any elk, but I wasn't up high.

I drew an archery elk tag for these units this year. It will be my first time hunting the area so I can't help you now but PM me at the end of September and I'll let you know what I saw.

I drew an archery elk tag for these units this year. It will be my first time hunting the area so I can't help you now but PM me at the end of September and I'll let you know what I saw.
HunterDan how was your hunt? I'm thinking of hunting this unit this year. Archery season. Would love to chat with you if possible.

I am answering your question because I'm assuming you'll be hunt in 2021. The western part of unit 5 will be between 6,000 ft. and 8,500 ft. The lower elevation you will find mostly rolling sage brush and buck brush (oak brush). In the higher and steeper terrain you'll find aspen and dark timber. If there is lots of snow during the 3rd season the elk and deer tend to move west and south, east into the lower private properties.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HaileyB
Back