MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Elk

ingomar

Just checked my elk preference points and they now show 0. Hopefully that means I drew. Might want to check your elk points.

Good luck everyone.

Point creep got me. Pity a kid who is just old enough to start applying...they are behind the eight ball on drawing bull elk tags so we can have the Old Fart Preference System. Young folks will not have time to hunt anyway with the debt we are pawning off on them...they will need to work a lot.

Just checked my elk preference points and they now show 0. Hopefully that means I drew. Might want to check your elk points.

I'm at 0 too, but I"m not as exciting as some guys. It's cow elk for me on a RFW north of Craig. I just want an elk in the freezer this year, it's been awhile.

Trying to pull a cow in my OTC unit as a second choice (used to be an OTC w/cap). If I get her then I will be carrying bull, cow and doe tags into the woods. I made the mistake of getting the family hooked on elk so now I HAVE to keep at it....poor poor ME :)

Got my fifth point, my dad got his sixth. Now time to start figuring out where to use them. Looks like OTC archery for this year.

My elk preference points are down to zero - looks like I am elk hunting in Colorado this year! Yess!

PP #12

Hoping I drew a PLO cow tag for my 2nd choice, it would give me two months to hunt which is nothing for you Montana boys, but a long season in Colorado :rolleyes:

If not a 3rd season OTC bull tag will have to do.... :D

Did some quick math, now that I have 17 points. Going into the draw, there were about 2,150 non-residents ahead of me, or in the same pool of points I have. Colorado gave away around 70 tags this year in units that take 17+ points.

At that rate, I only need another 30 years until I will be at the top of the point pile. I will have 45+ points at that time, assuming some of these dudes die of old age. That puts the CO point creep situation in a better perspective.

I will apply for another point next year, given I hope to be seeking moose redemption in Alaska for the last half of September. The following year, I am burning my points and moving on.

Good news is that I drew my second choice cow tag, so I will have two CO elk tags in my pocket come November. "One fer the each of ya!"

Did some quick math, now that I have 17 points. Going into the draw, there were about 2,150 non-residents ahead of me, or in the same pool of points I have. Colorado gave away around 70 tags this year in units that take 17+ points.

At that rate, I only need another 30 years until I will be at the top of the point pile. I will have 45+ points at that time, assuming some of these dudes die of old age. That puts the CO point creep situation in a better perspective.

I will apply for another point next year, given I hope to be seeking moose redemption in Alaska for the last half of September. The following year, I am burning my points and moving on.

...dam'd baby boomers....We simply refuse to die.;):)

You don't have to be a boomer to add to the Colorado point mess. I could have 20 points had I not cashed out once, now twice!

I have zero Colorado elk points, scary.

You don't have to be a boomer to add to the Colorado point mess. I could have 20 points had I not cashed out once, now twice!

I hunted unit 2 with a rifle when I was 33. Do the math on that one. I was such an innocent young teenager when I started collecting points. :D

I have zero Colorado elk points, scary.

We're going to have a party in September!!!

I added another point. My question is how it will work since next year I will not be a Colorado resident. I am PCS'ing to New Mexico next year. Do I just lose those resident points and start over as a non-resident? That's the down side to military. You move so often that you can never build up to many resident points and then you move again.

I don't think you would lose the points. I kept mine going from non-res to res in CO. It will likely just take more non-res points to draw an equivalent tag. I'd call to make sure though...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back