Colorado deer this year, who is burning points?

Depending on your expectations, the doom and gloom re: CO deer hunting IS all it's cracked up to be. Were we spoiled? Probably. But if you've been building points expecting to get to experience the hunting we had even 7-8 years ago, forget it. And the good ol' days of the mid 2000's aren't coming back. There are still big bucks out there, but it's going to take good old-fashioned luck to find one. And changes are coming to the draw system....

If your expectation is to see a fair number of deer and get the chance at a 150-160 4-point, then there are still many places where that hunt can be found.
I really wish this post was a little less accurate...I'd have made a much more significant effort to shoot big deer when I regularly stumbled across them if I'd known that in 10 years I would no longer be able to dig up a 170" buck with a lot of trying...

For the NR these days I'm not sure you could tell much of a quality difference between a 3-point tag and an 18-point tag, and I'm not sure the 22-23-point tags are that much better.

Reactions: Oak
another fitting thread for my beautiful chart. the 2000s ain't never coming back that's for sure.

but, on the other side of the coin, if you can't find anything to smile about with colorado mule deer i can show you the montana chart for comparison ;)

1710797889554.png

re: burning points - i think we all know this chart ain't gonna reverse course in trend post 2000-2009, so burn em if you got em.

That is a fascinating chart, but I do wonder when it was generated. Even if it was today, it could still only realistically count about 25% of the decade thus far.

Now I’m not naive to think that it won’t be a down from the most recent highs, but I do hope there is time to rally a bit.

That is a fascinating chart, but I do wonder when it was generated. Even if it was today, it could still only realistically count about 25% of the decade thus far.

Now I’m not naive to think that it won’t be a down from the most recent highs, but I do hope there is time to rally a bit.

current data through 2022.

here, this tells a better story.

1710799364135.png

Man crazy drop from the 15-19 vs 20-22!
my failure in creating a chart that tells a bad story, actually.

they're all 5 years of record except the last bracket which is only three years as that's all that's available on B&Cs website right now. so two more years of records to to go to see where we land in comparison. will need 2023 records and 2024s before we can compare.

i also don't know how long some records may be pending before posted? could be missing a some 2022 records that haven't finished being verified?

Wonder how much of the count increase post-2000 is due to technology? A lot easier to get in touch with someone to score and record now with IT. The 60s have similar counts though, so who knows. Reporting has gotten easier, so I would think that skews the data a bit. Count as a % of buck tags sold would be interesting.

Anywho, burning my 2 points and taking the mules for a trip. That's the plan today, will change by tonight.

Wonder how much of the count increase post-2000 is due to technology? A lot easier to get in touch with someone to score and record now with IT. The 60s have similar counts though, so who knows. Reporting has gotten easier, so I would think that skews the data a bit. Count as a % of buck tags sold would be interesting.

Anywho, burning my 2 points and taking the mules for a trip. That's the plan today, will change by tonight.

i've been real curious about the pop starting in the 2000's.

i'm sure it's a slew of factors, but not least of which seems that we wrapped up going totally limited in 1997. or was it 99? whatever. same diff for this exercise.

Well this thread pushed me over the edge just modified my app. Should be hunting 3rd season this year and saying bye to 6 points. 5 was a 100% last year so will see.

Depending on your expectations, the doom and gloom re: CO deer hunting IS all it's cracked up to be. Were we spoiled? Probably. But if you've been building points expecting to get to experience the hunting we had even 7-8 years ago, forget it. And the good ol' days of the mid 2000's aren't coming back. There are still big bucks out there, but it's going to take good old-fashioned luck to find one. And changes are coming to the draw system....

If your expectation is to see a fair number of deer and get the chance at a 150-160 4-point, then there are still many places where that hunt can be found.
At how many points?

I think Grant is pretty accurate in his assessment.

Primary difference being if crowding plays into your idea of quality. You can still buy yourself much less competitive hunts.

Reactions: Oak
Recall also that the B&C typical mule deer minimum for entry was lowered around 1994 or 1995 (@antlerradar might remember better than me). All-time went from 195 to 190 and awards from 185 to 180.
My memory is not that good. I think that the all time minimum was 185 back in the 60's, when the minimum was raised to 195, some bucks dropped out, and were never reinstated when the minimum was again lowered to 190.

Last edited:
Well, I’m sure going to try to burn my points but not feeling lucky…

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back