Colorado Bull

Blacktailbc

Drew a pretty good limited tag in Colorado with my dad and brother. I only had two days to scout because of a Nevada Deer hunt. I only saw a few elk during scouting, and only one bull (a small 5x5). I chose to go back to the area that I had seen the bull for the opener. My dad and brother went to the other end of the unit. Opening morning was great elk hunting weather.......cold, snow showers, windy, but good visibility. I saw 2 bulls right at shooting light, including a decent 6 point. He was out of range, but I was making my way over to him, when 30 cows and a small raghorn came over a ridge from another drainage. I waited about 5 minutes, and 30 more cows came over......this time with a nice heavy bull pushing them. I dashed through a rockslide, and quickly found a rock to shoot from. The elk were moving fast, and were going to get under me, where I had no shot. The bulls were bugling back and forth to each other. Finallly shot this 6x6 at 250 yds. I am more than happy with him, and it was the kind of hunting morning that I didn't want to end. Thanks to Bryce for the help on the area.

Elk Country
picture.php

picture.php

The shooting rock

picture.php

As he lay

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It took me from 7 A.M. to about 4 P.M. to get him boned out, and back to my atv, which was about 1/2 mile away. Boning elk out by yourself is not fun. Worth it in the end

picture.php

Great bull and some gorgeous country.

Congrats, looks like a really fun hunt.

Awesome bull. Congrats on a great hunt. Would you believe I sat almost right on that shooting rock this September? Here's a slightly different angle of the same hillside.

Attachments

• Rock.jpg
    Rock.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 1,348
Back