Colorado application and preference point fees, etc.

When you don't draw, guess you ended up with zero chance.

Look where this is headed. Look at what happened in Wyoming. Points went from 7 bucks to where they are now. Go apply for 8 big game species at $10 each, then pay for your points that in a few short years are maxed out at $100 bucks each....hundreds of thousands of people are going be thousands of dollars into it with no tag to show for it. Or, you can put up the money, and get it back when you don't draw and maybe get a tag.

Look at where this is headed. If you think a $10 app fee is going to stop it your crazy. 170,000 new points this year, what next 280,000? What about year 3? App fees aren't helping wildlife - they are paying a vendor.

One of the most prestigious awards the CBA gives out is for the big 8. 8 big game species taken with a bow, what an accomplishment. 107 recipients in 50 years. Many believe there will never be another one given out, given what we have been handed.

How much of the money in the previous years went to helping wildlife vs 2018? I guess we'll have to wait for the numbers to be published, unless you've got an inside source with your CBA connection.

You know what chance I had of getting the big 8 before these types of draws? I can tell you the percentage is very,very,very small. And while it may still be a small percentage, it's larger than it was before.

Grasshopper,
I’ll do my best to politely respond to some of your comments. You cite data suggesting the number of hunters in Colorado has been static for 15 years, but fail to acknowledge that the population of Colorado increased by 1.2 million people or 25% in that same time period which indicates to me the proportion of the population that are hunters decreased in our state. Your tables showing the huge increase in the number of resident applicants in the big game draw as the result of the change to “pay later” system indicate that the former “pay first” system was limiting the number of resident hunters applying for permits they have just as much right to obtain as you or I do. Keeping the current “pay later” system is not going to solve the recruitment problem by itself, but it is fair. Returning to the old system that will disenfranchise resident hunter and waste our license fees makes no sense to me. The “pay first” system will only benefit those of that have lots of points and can afford to front the money, like myself. I will accept the decreased odds of drawing tags if it will have a positive effect on the number of hunters in Colorado.

I don't think the drop of pay up front has any effect whatsoever on net hunters... just that it encourages folks on the sidelines to jump in the points game. Resident license cost are very cheap all things considered, if you aren't willing to pay $50 for a tag in the spring why would you suddenly be wiling to once the summer is over, that being I can certainly see residents who typically just go OTC not wanting to mess with points if it means fronting $50 that they get back later but jumping in if it's $3.

Would be very interesting to look at the number of people who put in for Code PP9999 in 2017 versus 2018.

Would be very interesting to look at the number of people who put in for Code PP9999 in 2017 versus 2018.

Deer
Res - 27,556
NR - 35,066
Res - 30,896
NR - 51,165

Elk

Res - 34,790
NR - 41,107
Res - 37,985
NR - 58,997

Sheep
Res - 7,809
NR - 1,386
Res - 18,058
NR - 10,187

Moose
Res - 11,657
NR - 894
Res - 25,567
NR - 10,791

Mountain Goat
Res - 6,310
NR - 907
Res - 16,034
NR - 8,564

Thanks Oak!

Interesting data set. I also noticed that the unit I drew this year had better odds than last year despite the new system...

Yeah, PP apps went WAY up. It makes sense.

Now, they bought a PP, but are they actually committed to going hunting? That's a whole different question, and one I think far too many people are jumping to conclusions on.

My money says that a good percentage of them have no plan to hunt, and another fair percentage will drop out with an app fee increase.

Back