Colorado 6 points

ironranger

2 guys I hunt with want to use our points for muley this fall. I've been researching the net and CO website for stats and comments on units that we could possibly draw. Anyone have any input on which would be better unit in terms of public land, etc. I'll keep looking out and researching but thought I'd ask. Units/seasons (Rifle) I'm looking at thus far are the following.... Unit 22 3rd, Unit 25 4th, Unit 70 3rd, Unit 79 4th, Unit 80 4th, Unit 82 4th, and Unit 551 3rd....any info would be appreciated....if nothing I'll just pick one and go.....had alot of fun just winging it too....

With six points, as a NR, you have a ton of options that are good hunts. One thing to consider is that in 2015, the 3rd season hunts will be as early in November as they have been, for some time. Still fun hunts. Yet, with that many points, you might want to think about 2016, when the 3rd season hunt dates will move later by 5 or 6 days.

Non resident......thanx for replies......Randy I'd like to put on a few more points but one partner is getting antsy so I'll probably just go with it. Hunted MT 4 times and 3 of 4 were eastern MT which is different than the high country. Is later always better or will too much snow actually hamper opportunities in some units? The latest I've ever hunter in CO was first seson rifle elk so I haven't gotten any late season experiences yet. I'm not so concerned about trophy hunting as much as getting out there and hunting. Another feel that choosing 2nd season (few points to draw a better unit) and hunting mid Oct might be worth it??? just curious...... :)

Non resident......thanx for replies......Randy I'd like to put on a few more points but one partner is getting antsy so I'll probably just go with it. Hunted MT 4 times and 3 of 4 were eastern MT which is different than the high country. Is later always better or will too much snow actually hamper opportunities in some units? The latest I've ever hunter in CO was first seson rifle elk so I haven't gotten any late season experiences yet. I'm not so concerned about trophy hunting as much as getting out there and hunting. Another feel that choosing 2nd season (few points to draw a better unit) and hunting mid Oct might be worth it??? just curious...... :)

The weather is always a role of the dice here. It can be sunny and pleasant, or down right brutal, even in the later seasons. If it were me, I would definitely hone in on 3rd rifle. Bucks will be looking for does, and usually coming out of the high country down to the more accessible areas. 70 can be good, but 22, 53, and 62 are awesome mule deer units. Don't overlook 11 in the NW corner, and the units that catch the deer coming out of the San Juans in the SW corner. Out of the units you mentioned, my vote would go to unit 22. Just make sure what ever map you are staring at is up to date. Mining leases have changed public access in the last decade.

Back