Colorado 3rd Rifle season Unit 78

blaire458

Hey everyone!
Anyone have any experience in unit 78? I am going on a 3rd rifle season elk hunt this upcoming week. First time Elk hunter!
I know that can come across as annoying to some folks, "more newbies". But really excited about the experience!
Any tips on what to expect and maybe some words of advice on what/where to look for Elk would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Maybe time to up the initial post comment count before being allowed to create a thread.

i think instead there should be a reaction score threshold. otherwise people just muddy up old threads with irrelevant comments and questions and never actually contribute to a conversation.

wonder if you can filter that by positive reactions

or just make it like it used to be and we ignore newcomers begging for insider info on units and they either immediately leave or start to contribute

Sorry guys I needed to update my notification settings. Wasn't getting any emails that people responded.
No luck on my first hunt. Picked a poor location for the first 4-5 days and got hit with a gnarly storm. But had a great time!
Changed locations the last day and hunted hard. Got into 1 elk (that we assumed was big bull). Never saw him, but spooked him out of his bed and chased his tracks in the snow for 4 miles and finally gave up.

Definitely going back next year. Huge learning experience!

Did you access the unit from New Mexico hwy 17 or the North (Colo) side? I hunted 78/81 couple years ago. I stayed In Chama, and went up 17, then into the unit.

Sorry guys I needed to update my notification settings. Wasn't getting any emails that people responded.
No luck on my first hunt. Picked a poor location for the first 4-5 days and got hit with a gnarly storm. But had a great time!
Changed locations the last day and hunted hard. Got into 1 elk (that we assumed was big bull). Never saw him, but spooked him out of his bed and chased his tracks in the snow for 4 miles and finally gave up.

Definitely going back next year. Huge learning experience!
Thanks for the report. Understand folks here get frustrated with newbie's first (and often only) post being "where do I hunt in Unit X". It's a great community here. Stick around and join the conversations.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back