PEAX Equipment

Colorado 3rd Rifle season Unit 78

We stayed in Pagosa Springs the first night and then camped the rest of the time. Has a couple guys question our sanity at the trail head when we found out a storm was coming in.

Nice pics with lotsa snow!! BUT F*** sleeping in that! I'm too old and have to get up too many times to P at night. I "roughed" it in a Motel in Chama. Heaters, hot showers, and dry sheets are grossly underrated in the hunting scenario.

Last edited:
We stayed in Pagosa Springs the first night and then camped the rest of the time. Has a couple guys question our sanity at the trail head when we found out a storm was coming in.
Not to derail your thread but which MSR tent is that and how did it fair with the snow and stormy weather conditions? I’m in the market for a new tent...

Not to derail your thread but which MSR tent is that and how did it fair with the snow and stormy weather conditions? I’m in the market for a new tent...
Not sure which one the MSR is. That was my buddies. I think Hubba Hubba or something like that?
The other one in that picture is mine (REI quarter dome 2 person). Wouldn’t recommend actually putting two people in there. But it was awesome for myself and being able to spread out all my gear. Staying organized is crucial to me!
Mine actually faired better in the snow than the MSR. If I recall I think the REI tent has more anchors points that helped pull it tight and spread out the weight of the snow. Could also be that my friend didn’t set his up properly.
But I will say his 2 person tent actually fits 2 people. We both slept in there the last night because we didn’t want to set up both tents in the snow.
Hope this helps!

Where in 78 did you guys go? I’m taking my dad and horse just above pagosa springs. Going to head way back. I’ve only ever hunted Idaho. They offer great tags for disabled veterans as I am so it works out. But doing Colorado this year. Going in blind unfortunately but been checking onx and go hunt and 78 seems like a good area to get far back away from pressure. Any info or help on 78 would be great! Thank you
Sorry guys I needed to update my notification settings. Wasn't getting any emails that people responded.
No luck on my first hunt. Picked a poor location for the first 4-5 days and got hit with a gnarly storm. But had a great time!
Changed locations the last day and hunted hard. Got into 1 elk (that we assumed was big bull). Never saw him, but spooked him out of his bed and chased his tracks in the snow for 4 miles and finally gave up.

Definitely going back next year. Huge learning experience!

Where in 78 did you guys go? I’m taking my dad and horse just above pagosa springs. Going to head way back. I’ve only ever hunted Idaho. They offer great tags for disabled veterans as I am so it works out. But doing Colorado this year. Going in blind unfortunately but been checking onx and go hunt and 78 seems like a good area to get far back away from pressure. Any info or help on 78 would be great! Thank you
Awesome man! Yeah I got some good info from our hunt last year. I will send you a message.
We went in blind last year also and learned some lessons. So hopefully I can help you avoid some of those!

Awesome man! Yeah I got some good info from our hunt last year. I will send you a message.
We went in blind last year also and learned some lessons. So hopefully I can help you avoid some of those!
Looks like I can't send you a message just yet because you are a new member. Send me a message when ever you are able to and I will give you some advice from our hunt.

Looks like I can't send you a message just yet because you are a new member. Send me a message when ever you are able to and I will give you some advice from our hunt.
Amazing man I’ll look for it! I plan on going way back forward 76 and 78. Have five horse so I’ll be able to get where most won’t go and hopefully some big boys from 76 push into 78

I was thinking about hunting this unit as well. Thanks for the update!
There no atv access or bike. Only hike horse! You going to pack out a couple miles or outfitter. I heard there was a few outfitters in the area that may go there. But I’m going way back with our camp and horses

Hunted 78 last year 2nd OTC. Got into elk but couldn't seal the deal. It was my first trip to 78, but have been hunting elk in CO for over 25 years with decent success mostly OTC on foot. The trip for me is all about the beautiful country...can't get enough of it!

Hunted 78 last year 2nd OTC. Got into elk but couldn't seal the deal. It was my first trip to 78, but have been hunting elk in CO for over 25 years with decent success mostly OTC on foot. The trip for me is all about the beautiful country...can't get enough of it!
Are you hunting it again this year?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back