Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado 31/32

land7601

Hi all,

I put in for the combined units 21, 22, 30, 31, and 32 for first rifle. Looks like the hunt code normally makes it to the leftover license status.

I am mainly just curious if anyone has any experience hunting unit 31 or 32 first season. I have done a good bit of elk hunting in the past, but I have never been to this area. Hunted the other side of the flat tops during second rifle last year and it was a zoo. Obviously, I am not looking for anyone secret spots, but any advice at all would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you,

Alex

Elk move to private quickly. There's a lot of pressure. You'll have to work for every opportunity you get. But, don't let that stop you. All it takes is one. I've found my honey hole yet I've abandoned it to hunt MT this year. So, that tells you something.

31 and 32 both have a lot of private in the upper end of the units, which is where the elk will mainly reside during 1st rifle. 31 does have some public up there as well, you will need to study maps to find access routes. Do not underestimate the depth of the canyons nor the steepness. It's big country. 32 is mostly oil and gas up top, with less public land and less access.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, it is much appreciated!

I knew about the oil and gas up in 32, kind of why I was leaning towards 31. Did not know about the private land in 31. I was hoping the pressure wouldn't be quite as bad as I ran into second season last year. But I am learning that it can be challenging to get away from pressure.

Any advice on where I could find a good map that shows the private vs public land? I think that is the one key thing I was missing last year.

Thanks again!

I knew about the oil and gas up in 32, kind of why I was leaning towards 31. Did not know about the private land in 31. I was hoping the pressure wouldn't be quite as bad as I ran into second season last year. But I am learning that it can be challenging to get away from pressure.

Any advice on where I could find a good map that shows the private vs public land? I think that is the one key thing I was missing last year.

Thanks again!

onyx maps
I bought the iPhone app, and it's the best thing I have done for hunting. You can download and cache the maps, with all the layers you would want, and then use them in the field without needing cell service. It uses the gps on your phone, which doesn't take much power.

I tested it last year by going right up to a fence, and the thing was spot on. Showed me exactly on the boundary of private land. Highly recommend.

Don't forget to use the code RANDY for 20% off!

--Dana

You will absolutely want some sort of private/public GPS capability, parts of 31 can be a real mess. Onyx is money well spent. If you are a gps tinkerer, you can download free files from https://www.gpsfiledepot.com/ but the precision level is not what onyx maps has. Landowners in that area have historically proven not shy about confronting folks close to the line so you'll want to be 100% confident in your map skillz. Also grab the latest travel management maps from the BLM, this area has been going through some changes in the last couple years. Some not-so-older maps may lead you to believe you can get into routes where you cannot actually access in real life. Not to go off on a tangent, I'm all for preserving wilderness, but the BLM's theme lately has been to close roads to the public while leaving them open for "administrative" purposes. I.e. if you have a gas lease or a postage stamp of property way back in there, you can drive. All else must walk. If you're strategic in planning your way around private and you don't mind hiking and elevation gain, you can get into some pretty cool country that doesn't look like much from the roads. Good luck!

I know this thread is older but I recently talked to rangers and information about elk seemed positive. The country look big for sure and steep. I’m not afraid to get out I. The wildness and bivvy. Is 32 a good unit and does 31 have potential? If I’m not even close I have a few other spots scouted. Seems that elk in early archery season will be a lot higher in elevation; the highest spots should carry elk right? Hope I’m onto the right path....thank you to anyone sharing information about these units. Anything is helpful. Hiking is fun fun I’d like to go hunting instead....lol! Thanks again!

I'm curious about your experience in 32. If you went. I'm helping my father-in-law plan a hunt with a couple of his buddies. I can't go b/c I drew an archery tag this year. If you're willing to chat, let me know. Thanks!

I know this thread is older but I recently talked to rangers and information about elk seemed positive. The country look big for sure and steep. I’m not afraid to get out I. The wildness and bivvy. Is 32 a good unit and does 31 have potential? If I’m not even close I have a few other spots scouted. Seems that elk in early archery season will be a lot higher in elevation; the highest spots should carry elk right? Hope I’m onto the right path....thank you to anyone sharing information about these units. Anything is helpful. Hiking is fun fun I’d like to go hunting instead....lol! Thanks again!

I'm wondering the same out unit 32. I drew late and have a cow tag for 2nd rifle for unit 32 only. Was looking at Google Maps & OnX and curious how to even get to the BLM public land. Any tips or suggestions would be helpful. Thanks, Chad

Thanks again!
On x hunting maps are great

Hi we drew this unit cluster for first rifle anyone know of anyone that allows access or does trespass fee in these units? the guys i’m hunting with are grumbling about my let’s go scout and hike the crap out of it approach

Hi we drew this unit cluster for first rifle anyone know of anyone that allows access or does trespass fee in these units? the guys i’m hunting with are grumbling about my let’s go scout and hike the crap out of it approach
You really don't need private access. More BLM than you can wander in many seasons.

You really don't need private access. More BLM than you can wander in many seasons.
so if we do my plan i’d be going out by myself with an archery cow tag in september to scout for their lazy asses and you like my odds of having some good spots for first rifle after putting 50 miles on my boots in there?

If you put 50 miles on your boots in the days leading up to first rifle, that'd be better.
well obviously. work and Dad schedule will give me the days i get and that’s what i get. just trying to have a clue not expecting to have them tied to a tree as Big Fin would say

mariano,

If the other guys are bitching because you are willing to work and do things the right way to be successful in elk hunting, find new hunting partners. Also, If I were driving from Maine to Colorado to scout and put 50 miles in scouting, I would not share a thing with anyone else in the party who decided not to join me. Elk hunting takes hard work and commitment. If some one doesn't want to put in the effort, they shouldn't go.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back