MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado 2023... here we go!

Like every year… still don’t know what I am going to do and I have less time than the year before 🤦‍♂️

I’m in. Not much hope for my first choice but hopeful to draw a cow elk Muzzleloader tag second. Taking my son on his first trip so he is super excited.

I’m in. Not much hope for my first choice but hopeful to draw a cow elk Muzzleloader tag second. Taking my son on his first trip so he is super excited.
Nice! I hope he loves it! I took all 3 of my adults sons elk hunting in CO last fall. All are experienced range shooters, but none had ever hunted so much as a squirrel! Came home empty-handed, but missed 1 good and 1 gift-wrapped opportunities. :cry: The best part.... they all are excited to go again!

AM.

Other than the dates, school me on understanding doing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Elk season in Colorado? Are some seasons more desirable than others? I'm more interested in a meat vs antler hunt.

From what I understand OTC tags include archery and second and third rifle seasons. Limited licenses (lottery) are needed for muzzleloader, and first & fourth rifle seasons. Is that correct?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Last edited:
Other than the dates, school me on understanding doing 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th Elk season in Colorado? Are some seasons more desirable than others? I'm more interested in a meat vs antler hunt.

From what I understand OTC tags include archery and second and third rifle seasons. Limited licenses (lottery) are needed for muzzleloader, and first & fourth rifle seasons. Is that correct?

Anything else I should be aware of?
Otc you have to choose archery, second, or third. Only good for one season.

Everything else will depend on your desires, goals, points.

Colorado moose…already drew
Colorado mtn goat…already drew
Colorado deer…drew in 2016
Colorado Pronghorn…drew and turned it back in

Hopefully it’s sheep this year. I think I will try for Pronghorn again also

Just got the application done. What are the bets that the system crashes on the last day, and they extend the deadline? I'm guessing it's at least 60% odds.

I thought it crashed last year, or the year before. I could be mistaken.

knowing my app is in... and all but guaranteed to pull the tags I want

So I take it you didn’t apply for units in NW CO then. A lot more snow fell and animals died since you submitted your application a month ago. That is the risk to applying at the beginning of the application period instead of the end of it.

yeah they extended the deadline due to system issues at some point in like the last 3 years.

we'd have to start digging up previous colorado app season threads to figure out when that was i think

0%, I could be wrong but I don’t remember Colorado system crashing in the last few years.

2 years ago

2 years ago

Be interesting to see how many more ppl applied strictly because they extended the deadline, short of a FOIA I suppose we will never know

Be interesting to see how many more ppl applied strictly because they extended the deadline, short of a FOIA I suppose we will never know

and even with FOIA i bet it would be hard to tell. i wonder if they would even have the data on all the people that tried to apply but coudlnt and then how many on top of that applied after extension.

So I've unfortunately earned the title of official app helper to my core group of hunting buddies. Anytime there's questions or someone needs help they bring it to me they call me the "rain man" of hunting stats in reverence I assume. Anyway thought I'd share a conversation with my friend this morning. I swear to God two of them always wait till the last day and never remember any step of the process.Screenshot_20230404_094831_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20230404_094902_Messages.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back