Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

College is not a must

Whiskers, certain things came easy to me and other hard. But looking at the system if there was somethnig I didn't get (Like spelling "somethnig") there should have been a program to catch me up or teach me at a slower pace. I wouldn't expect the system to slow everyone down just for me.

Funny you mentioned Staples. I was there once and the person was trying to fugure out some change once. It almost hurt me to watch them try to figure it out. I think counting should be required in school too. Maybe word problems like :

If Moosie goes to he store and the Coke and the hunting magazine comes to $34.79 and he pays with 2~20's and 4 pennies, how much should Moosie get back in change ?!?!

I mean seriously, if you don't give someone .79 if that is what it is they usually look at you and are like, UHHH Sir, Why would you give me 4 pennies ?!?!?!

I can see why Algebra throws most people for a loop ;)

LMAO TLC...

Those were good...

Math was one subject I had problems with after I got past the level Moosie was talking about...

It really sucked when I got to the collage level stats...

Then English was the only foreign language I took in high school and I gotted a D in it...

I can honestly say with out a doubt that Statistics was the easiest class I took in college... and I took a semester of snow boarding. Thermodynamics was a close second, only because the teacher was an idiot and gave the same test year after year.

I'm kidding of course, well not about only going to Stats class for the tests. I think for some people their brain doesn't see math like others... like how some can pick up a second language quickly while others... like me can't master english, or spell very well. everyone has thier own strengths, but at some point you have to apply yourself and to learn something. I've yet to take a class that was impossible to pass.

Why am I fail at skool?

Here was my essay, the punctuation is good, why did it fail:confused:

e6xdg7.jpg

Hell I never even graduated from High School but I have had jobs paying 50 grand a year or more since I was 23. It's NOT what you know, but who you blow. You don't need to go to college to figure that one out.

:DNHY, maybe he has a passion for it.:confused::confused::D

I'm 41 years old and not earning a college degree is the biggest mistake in my life, the one thing that has bothered me the most in the last 7 or 8 years. I have a couple years of college but decided partying was more important at the time. Big mistake! I quit school joined the Marine Corps and did my 4 years. After being discharged I worked a few jobs and finally decided to start my own Landscaping business, I figured the only way I was going to make any money was being self employed.

I've done well in business the last 10 years, I employ around 25 people, sales are always 2.5 to 3 million a year. I hate my job. Why?

Someone said it earlier, it's 24/7, the stress is unreal, I deal with unskilled workers for the most part, I feel like a babysitter, and my family time suffers.
Sure, the money is good, but at what cost?

I realized a few years back, when I felt I had finally built a successful business, and still felt empty, not finishing college was a big mistake.

A college degree gives you options. Thats right, options that I wish I had. There is no way I will ever go get a job and make what I make. I would love to get out of California, but picking up a 50k per year job somewhere just isn't going to do it for me and my family. Hell, it costs that much for housing, education and college funds for the kids, and food. At 41 years old I'm not going to move to another state and start a new business and put my family through the same neglect again.

Make no mistake, a college degree is a good thing! The nice thing, it's not too late. I am starting again in Jan. and hopefully in 3 or four years I'll have some options. I't could of been easier though, I should of stayed in school.

Mike

Mike - I think that is a good decision. What will be your major? My older brother, after suffering from the ups and downs in the title insurance field, went back to school in his 40s and got his BS and MS degrees and now works for the US Fish & Wildlife Service. He is doing something he likes (used to "love," but politics is getting in the way) and makes a decent living with lots of benefits - vacation time, holiday pay, comp time and great retirement benefits. He makes less money than he used to, but makes more in ways that count. He lives in a smaller town in Washington and has great recreational activities all around him.

Good luck on going back to school! Education is never a waste of time.

I have few general ed classes to get out of the way, but I'm pretty sure I'll pursue a Business degree, either marketing or public relations. There are aspects of business I really enjoy but owning my own small business is not one of them. Ag business is another option I have considered.

Mike

I've got a few friends that are in Ag Business and they are doing pretty well. Good thing about that field is that it would make a move to a more rural area/state much easier... ;)

Good luck, Mike. I went back as a 29 year old freshman. It's not easy, but can pay off.

TLC, that is some damn funny chit. I have a masters deg in EE. I wish I could go back and put down some answers like that on my exams back in the day. :D

HAha! I'm still laughing. That lightning essay is a masterpiece as well.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back