Cold Weather Boots Recommendation

SCliving Outdoors

Hey guys.

Hopefully someone can give me some input. After a couple years of saving I'm going on one of my dream hunts. In January I'll be heading to Tajikistan for ibex. I'm really excited. I know it will be an adventure of a lifetime. The plan is to go as far as possible with 4x4 suv then go on foot from there deeper into the mountains. I was told that temps would be -20~-30 fahrenheit. However my contacts exact words were "it isn't that bad, its a dry cold". I have a friend in the military that was sent over there and when stepped off the plane it was -27 so I know they aren't lying, lol. I have done plenty of hunting almost all diy from Maine to Idaho to NM to Arkansas. I have good gear and and a good layering system for clothing. I am completely confident with everything except my boots. I currently wear a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extremes, but they aren't insulated. I usually do well in cold temps, but I have never hunted in anything like that temp. All my western/northern hunting is usually completed by ealy/mid November and in SC it just doesn't get crazy cold.

Do you guys have some recommendation for boots? I realize everyone's body handles the cold differently and everyone's foot is different, but I really don't know how warm i should go. I feel like I will be hiking a fair bit, but I also think there will be periods of not hiking a ton (like any western type hunt). I wont be riding a horse. Id rather not shell out $400 for another pair of boots I'll probably wear every 10 years (maybe) on extreme cold hunts.

Though I was dealing with more gentle terrain than you will be, I used NEOS insulated boot covers when helping a pard on a February hunt in AK. We saw temps like you mentioned and I didn't have cold feet at all. I wore them over my uninsulated, regular hunting boot. I realize it's a an out of the box suggestion, but one that worked for me.

Good luck on the hunt and I'll waiting for the report and pictures!

When it's really cold I use Irish Setter Elk Trackers 860 with 1000gr of thinsulate. I know a lot of guys on here may not like them, but for me, they are awesome when it gets really cold.

Lots of options out there a lot of it will just depend on what your feet like and how much you are willing to spend.

Here are some options to look at:

Schnee Pac boots
Mountaineering boots like scarpa or la sportiva
Bunny boots, ie the US military cold weather boots
Insulated hiking boots like Solomon toundra

I have spent some time in that region , and it can certainly get that cold. I would tell you that sweat management on your feet will be the deciding factor. I would be hesitant to go with a boot that is highly insulated, as it will not provide you the flexibility to drop insulation during harder hikes, and once the insulating liners of your boots are sweat soaked it can be difficult to dry them in the field.

In the winter I used a boot that I could dramatically increase/decrease the volume, with laces all the way to the toe box. This allowed me to tighten things down with thinner wool socks for hiking, or loosen them way up to add more socks and just keep them loose to allow for maximum air in my sock layers.

Bring lots of extra socks, to swap after hiking....

I like the idea of the over boots, probably more to wear when glassing/not moving....

Last, if you are going on the hunt of a life time, I would quibble about $400 to ensure you aren't miserable, and can actually enjoy it.

Hey guys.

Hopefully someone can give me some input. After a couple years of saving I'm going on one of my dream hunts. In January I'll be heading to Tajikistan for ibex. I'm really excited. I know it will be an adventure of a lifetime. The plan is to go as far as possible with 4x4 suv then go on foot from there deeper into the mountains. I was told that temps would be -20~-30 fahrenheit. However my contacts exact words were "it isn't that bad, its a dry cold". I have a friend in the military that was sent over there and when stepped off the plane it was -27 so I know they aren't lying, lol. I have done plenty of hunting almost all diy from Maine to Idaho to NM to Arkansas. I have good gear and and a good layering system for clothing. I am completely confident with everything except my boots. I currently wear a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extremes, but they aren't insulated. I usually do well in cold temps, but I have never hunted in anything like that temp. All my western/northern hunting is usually completed by ealy/mid November and in SC it just doesn't get crazy cold.

Do you guys have some recommendation for boots? I realize everyone's body handles the cold differently and everyone's foot is different, but I really don't know how warm i should go. I feel like I will be hiking a fair bit, but I also think there will be periods of not hiking a ton (like any western type hunt). I wont be riding a horse. Id rather not shell out $400 for another pair of boots I'll probably wear every 10 years (maybe) on extreme cold hunts.

Whatever boots you get, you'd better do a write-up on the hunt! That's the boring time of year for most of us, we'll need entertainment and lots of photos...

Another thought what will the terrain be like? Do you know if you are going to need micro spikes or crampons? If so that's definitely a reason to pivot into mountaineering boots.

Those overboots look great for staying warm when inactive in extreme cold. My cousin spent a year stationed near the border up there in Afghanistan, and from his stories and photos it looks like some brutally steep country. I love my Schnee’s pacs for cold weather in moderate terrain, but I think Wllm’s mountaineering boot recommendation is spot on. Schnee’s granite pros look like a sweet crampon compatible boot.

Another thought what will the terrain be like? Do you know if you are going to need micro spikes or crampons? If so that's definitely a reason to pivot into mountaineering boots.
[/based off the research I’ve done and speaking with the outfitter I don’t believe I’ll need won’t need crampons
Based on the research I’ve done and speaking with the outfitter I will not need crampons

I sure like my Schnee's Hunter II boots. Very comfortable and would fit the temperature ranges you are talking about. I have no problem using them in steep and nasty terrain and feel they provide plenty of support. I like the 13" height as it helps support the calf muscles and ankle a little better. Make sure you get the air-bob sole. It's fantastic. Maybe you can take something like the Schnees and another boot if it's not quite as cold. Another good boot would be an insulated pair of Whites Outdoorsman with the Montana Claw lug sole. I have an uninsulated pair and they are the best boot I've ever had. I wore them when it was zero out and my feet were fine even when stationary, but my feet tend to run warm.

Schnee's Hunter II
1589050277296.png
1589050301422.png

I’d go with a double mountaineering boot like the La Sportiva Baruntse. Changing socks won’t do any good if the liners are soaked with sweat. Not sure what your lodging situation will look like, but the nice thing about a double boot is the removable liner for easy drying. A vapor barrier sock would eliminate any perspiration concerns.

Meindl vacuum hunter, insulated, and the best wool socks money can buy.

Used the Neos Navigator this year in Wyoming and Montana. As mentioned, you wouldn't want to wear them in rough terrain, though they're surprisingly stable in flat or even mild hills. I thought I'd just use them in the truck or glassing, but did end up walking a bit in them and they did just fine.

While I warm up fast when walking, my feet and hands get cold easily. In cold temps if I'm just sitting down, I still had me feet start to get a little chilly with the overboots and uninsulated boots. When hiking with uninsulated boots, even in -4 degree weather, they'll get hot, so insulated boots didn't make sense for me to avoid undue amounts of sweat.

The overboots are not super light and don't pack down small, but they were a valuable purchase for me which I'll have in my gear arsenal from now on.

Insulated NEOS are the bomb!

My favourite true cold weather boots are Canadian Army mukluks! Get two sets of liners and change them/socks often!

mukluks__67013.1527283287.jpg

I've winter camped in the Schnee's Hunter IIs the last 2 years. You won't lose any toes in -20 as long as you are on the move. They have an awful lot of flex to them for serious mountain stuff though.
A couple of my friends wear Sorel Glacier XT on those same trips and they have no problem down to -20 or even -30.

For where I live my Kentrek pacboots w/400 insl or my cold go to now,Lowa Tibet /400 insl work fine. It gets below zero a few times a year.

Back