Coho & crab

Brittany Chukarman

Wife and I made our yearly trip across the state to Newport. Stayed in a nice condo overlooking Yaquina Bay. I went on three charters on three different boats, whoever was fishing salmon. The first day was salmon with crabbing. It was wild action, several multiple hookups on big coho. On the way in we pulled the crab pots and they were stuffed, limits of 12 for everyone. The next trip was a salmon/rockfish/crab combo. It was even wilder salmon fishing. All the lines weren't even out before poles started going off and the fish were a little better grade than the first trip. After the boat limited we went for rockfish. It took longer to catch the rockfish than the salmon due to cold water but I caught my limit of five big black rockfish. The crab pots were full, limits for all. The last trip was salmon/crab. It was a little slower but again, limits of salmon and crab. Great trip with great weather.

IMGP0633.JPGIMGP0631.JPGIMGP0632.JPG

That’s awesome. I was crabbing off the dock by the brewery Friday & Saturday, didn’t catch any keepers though. Glad to hear they’re out there! How was the water? Didn’t seem too windy this weekend, so I imagine the chop wasn’t too bad.

How do you go about finding/choosing your charters? Just go down to the bay front and see who has a seat open?

Never knew you can charter for crab.
They set the pots. You get what you get?
This charter office, Yaquina Bay Charters, offers crabbing on all it's different charters for $25 more. Sometimes the pots are set before, sometimes they put them out on the way to the fishing grounds. After the fishing the pots are pulled and the total catch is split by all who paid for crabbing.

This charter office, Yaquina Bay Charters, offers crabbing on all it's different charters for $25 more. Sometimes the pots are set before, sometimes they put them out on the way to the fishing grounds. After the fishing the pots are pulled and the total catch is split by all who paid for crabbing.
In your case it was cost effective?
Massive pile if crabs anyway.

That’s awesome. I was crabbing off the dock by the brewery Friday & Saturday, didn’t catch any keepers though. Glad to hear they’re out there! How was the water? Didn’t seem too windy this weekend, so I imagine the chop wasn’t too bad.

How do you go about finding/choosing your charters? Just go down to the bay front and see who has a seat open?
Ocean was nice, slight swell and pretty calm. I chose Yaquina Bay Charters because of the crabbing option on all their trips. If you go on their website click on "Book Now" and it will bring up a calendar listing of all the trips on each day. They run about 5 boats and they offer rockfish, salmon, combo, halibut, deep water lings and long-leader rockfish depending on season and weather. The girls in the office are knowledgable and helpful on the phone. Three of their boats have electric crab pullers which is nice for an old guy. Two of my trips had one.

You did really well! We have fished with that outfit for a number of years with good success. The crabbing option is awesome and I'm always surprised when more people don't do it. I remember a few years ago my son and I were the only ones that did it. When they pulled in the pots stuffed with keepers I think everyone was disappointed that they hadn't ponied up the $25. Just had my tuna trip for this Friday cancel so now I'm looking for a bottom fishing trip instead. Unfortunately they don't have room for 5 of us so we're trying someone new.

You did really well! We have fished with that outfit for a number of years with good success. The crabbing option is awesome and I'm always surprised when more people don't do it. I remember a few years ago my son and I were the only ones that did it. When they pulled in the pots stuffed with keepers I think everyone was disappointed that they hadn't ponied up the $25. Just had my tuna trip for this Friday cancel so now I'm looking for a bottom fishing trip instead. Unfortunately they don't have room for 5 of us so we're trying someone new.
For a deep water ling and rockfish trip the Tacklebuster out of Depoe Bay has a good reputation. I don't think they offer crabbing on that trip though.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back