Yeti GOBOX Collection

CO Wildlife Comm. Approves 2010 Big Game Regs

Oak

Expert
May be of interest....

DENVER, Colo. - The Colorado Wildlife Commission finalized 2010 big game regulations at its regular meeting Jan. 11. The Commission approved a variety of changes, some providing expanded opportunities for hunters.

Key revisions include:

Hybrid Draw:
The Colorado Division of Wildlife established a "Hybrid" drawing for select elk and deer licenses for the 2010 hunting seasons. The purpose of the drawing is to give hunters the additional opportunity to draw a license for some of the state's premier elk and deer hunting areas. Hunters with five or more elk or deer preference points that select as their first choice a unit requiring 10 or more resident preference points for that species will be automatically included in the random drawing. Approximately 15 elk and three deer units qualify for the drawing.

New White-Tailed Deer-Only Units Opened:
For the first time, white-tailed deer-only seasons are available in the Arkansas River drainage between Pueblo and Canon City. Additional units have been added on the Eastern Plains.

Moose Regular Rifle Season:
The regular rifle season for moose has been extended to 14 days. The 2010 season opens Oct. 1 and continues through Oct. 14.

Third Rifle Combined Season:
The third rifle combined season for deer and elk has been extended to nine days, including two weekends. The 2010 season opens Nov. 6 and continues through Nov. 14.

Gunnison Basin Elk Hunts:
-Archery elk licenses are totally limited in units 54, 55 and 551.
- Either-sex, over-the-counter licenses with cap are available in unit 54 during the second rifle season.
-Additional cow licenses and late-season licenses are available in units 54, 55 and 551.

Muzzleloading Elk Licenses:
"Statewide" muzzleloading licenses are no longer available in 2010. All muzzleloading elk licenses are valid in specific Game Management Units (GMUs) or Data Analysis Units (DAUs) only. Either-sex licenses are also available in specific units.

Desert Bighorn Ram Licenses:
Unit S63 (Middle Dolores River) is now open for rifle hunters.

Nonresident Desert Bighorn Ram License:
A nonresident, desert bighorn ram license is available in unit S56 (Black Ridge).

Bighorn Sheep Ewe Licenses:
Ewe licenses are available in units S57 (Big Thompson) and S15, S16, S21, S28, S33 and S53 (San Juan Mountains).

Bighorn Sheep Ram Licenses:
Units S40 (Lone Pine), S39 (Mt. Silverheels) and S41 (Peru Creek) are open for rifle hunters.

Female-Only Goat Licenses:
Female-only (nanny) goat licenses are now available in units E15 and E16.

Pay-to-Play:
Hunters who do not want to accumulate preference points may opt out of paying the $25 "Pay-to-Play" fee by selecting the appropriate check box on the big game drawing application. If this option is checked, the applicant will not receive a preference point.

2010 Big Game Brochures:
Hunters are encouraged to thoroughly review the 2010 regulations brochures due to these and other changes approved by the Commission. The "2010 Colorado Big Game" and "2010 Colorado Sheep and Goat" brochures will be available at Division of Wildlife offices, statewide licenses agents and online (www.wildlife.state.co.us) mid-February 2010.

To review season dates and other 2010 big game regulations approved by the Commission, please visit: http://wildlife.state.co.us/WildlifeCommission/Archives/2010/January112010.htm

So I guess they 'stole' one of my NW colo tags that I was 50/50 to draw this year with 15 points and reallocated to the random round.

Guess I'll like the new rule after my points have been burned.

Who's your daddy sitting pretty with 6 elk pref points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Oak, are sheep points specific to subspecies or will points accumulated carry over for the desert draw? Can you apply for both in CO?

Oak, are sheep points specific to subspecies or will points accumulated carry over for the desert draw? Can you apply for both in CO?

You must choose one to apply for, and there are no points for deserts.

Thanks Oak. I wonder how many people will lose out on a PP for RM Bighorn to try for a desert....odds may not be too bad, for a desert tag

Holy crap! They're offering a desert tag to NR!!!

These are big changes!

Hey MN, how about we keep that to ourselves. :D

No need to be telling the rest of the web world about that one. I was hoping I was the only guy who noticed that, and the odds that might come with it.

No need to be telling the rest of the web world about that one. I was hoping I was the only guy who noticed that, and the odds that might come with it.

Oops! Sorry BF. First I put up the ME & VT Moose info and now this...don't ban me :D

Dink, maybe we'll both be hunting NW Colo.

The rules exactly as approved:
"In those hunt codes requiring 10 or more resident preference points to draw,
up to 20 percent of available licenses for deer, elk, pronghorn and bear shall be issued through a random drawing. A minimum of five individual preference points is required for an applicant to participate in the random drawing."

So will they always strive to get 20 percent into the random draw, where possible?
How are the random tags split between res/nonres applicants?

Last edited:
I like the "pay to play" change. It is very commical. No,no,please,please, I don't want a preference point, I want my $25.....

Big Fin, that hunt would be a nice diversion from filming for you. One man, alone in the wilderness, looking for a big ram. ;) That unit is in my backyard, and wouldn't hesitate to say there are probably B&C rams there. That's saying something, considering there has never been an all-time book desert ram killed in CO.

Regarding the hybrid draw: the DOW posted a lot of good information about it back in July when they were taking comments on the proposal. Didn't you all read up on it then? ;)

The reason the regulation reads "up to 20 percent" is because with the small tag numbers in most of these units, it would be impossible to extract exactly 20% of the tags.

The random draw would apply to residents and non-residents, but the 80-20 split would still be in effect. The reality is that a non-resident will never draw a random tag, because the 20% non-resident limit will always be met in the PP draw. Sound familiar to Arizona?

Read through this document to see how a simulated elk draw worked under the new hybrid draw rules:
http://wildlife.state.co.us/NR/rdon...9BCAA2CE/0/BGSSSimulatedDrawRules_Results.pdf

drthornton mentioned in the other thread that he thought the new hybrid draw would be good for those who are building points. It is true that guys like Dinkshooter who have more than 5 points, but are still a long way from drawing a premium tag, will benefit from this rule. But guys like Khunter who have been saving for a long time and are close to drawing will be hurt by the rule. It takes tags out of the preference draw and makes it take that much longer for them to be guaranteed a tag.

More important to non-residents may be the change made last September in the 80-20 split rule. Under the old rule, the 65/35 resident/non-resident split jumped to 80/20 in units requiring resident hunters at least 5 points to draw. The new breaking point for the 80/20 split is 6 resident preference points.

Yup, its about as low key as when Nevada gave a NR RM Bighorn tag...I was sure I'd nail that one :rolleyes:

$^&*%&%^@!##!!,They just screwed my backup elk plan.Turning unit 55 into a draw for archery is a joke!!!Never ran into another archery hunter in the few years I've been going there.Time to start banking points and hunting a different otc unit for archery if I don't draw in Wy.

$^&*%&%^@!##!!,They just screwed my backup elk plan.Turning unit 55 into a draw for archery is a joke!!!Never ran into another archery hunter in the few years I've been going there.Time to start banking points and hunting a different otc unit for archery if I don't draw in Wy.

I was going to ask you what you thought about all this. Hopefully we draw in WY.

After posting this warning, I don't want to hear about anyone missing the deadline. The deadline is April 6th.

There, you just received a piece of advice worth the outrageous annual subscription fee that you pay to hang out at this joint.

What's the deal with such short black bear seasons in CO. I am applying for a deer tag in a unit where 134 out of 135 people drew last year with no points. And, it is OTC elk tags.

I was hoping to pull off an episode like Bugler recommended - have a fist full of tags and shoot whatever you first come across. Black bear would have added nicely to that mix, but the seasons are all in September.

So we will have deer tags and elk tags. Wanted a bear tag. Not sure what else I could get a tag for. I suspect those lynx they transplanted are not yet huntable.

Remember, post marked by April 6th. Good luck.

What's the deal with such short black bear seasons in CO. I am applying for a deer tag in a unit where 134 out of 135 people drew last year with no points. And, it is OTC elk tags.

Fin, you should be able to buy an OTC bear tag for your rifle season, if you are on the ball when they go on sale (the number is capped). They will sell out the first day, likely.

Read pg 41 of the regs, right side.

There's also OTC with caps licenses for bears that run in September for archery that are first come first served with pre set limits on them. Those run the same season dates as archery elk. They are seperate from the drawing licenses

and here I am assuming you're going to be archery hunting...lol Yes, there are OTC with caps rifle licenses too

Fin, you should be able to buy an OTC bear tag for your rifle season, if you are on the ball when they go on sale (the number is capped). They will sell out the first day, likely.

Read pg 41 of the regs, right side.

Maybe the wife is correct when she claims I am not good at reading instructions.

Got it. So from that, it seems I need to call the number ASAP, the day they come for sale. The regs say they set the license caps in May. Be my luck I will be in AK on a bear hunt when I need to be calling in.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheyenneKennedy
Back