Yeti GOBOX Collection

CO Pt Creep Madness !!!

Trigger50

I received my annual CO preference point guide in the mail today. No Suprises....all the trophy units went up by another point !!!:(!!!:eek:

Landowners will get an extra 5% off the top this year. CPW thought that would benefit all sportsmen in the state.

Dont feel bad, WY NR preference points for the regular priced fee structure are one step closer to being devalued as well.

149 passed out of the Senate side 3-2.

Point creep for the regular fee NR licenses is going to get a lot worse in Wyoming.

At least 2 sportsmen groups and one resident hunter showed up to oppose it...more than usual.

That makes it...creepier this time.

Don't worry...the math isn't too bad for non-residents.

Landowners will get 20 out of every 100 licenses now. Public licenses go from 85 to 80 per 100.

Res/non-res allocation in 65/35 units will go from 56/29 to 52/28.

Res/non-res allocation in 80/20 units will go from 68/17 to 64/16.

CPW claims that redeemed vouchers are about equally split between res and non-res.

So residents will lose 80% of the additional 5% that goes to landowners, and about 50% of that 5% will be redeemed by non-residents. Financial win for CPW.

One small benefit that I'm sure most landowners have not considered yet, but that I'm also sure will be "fixed" by CPW: it is actually not a 20% allocation to landowners. It is two 10% allocations; one for unit-wide vouchers and one for PLO vouchers. What this means is that for hunt codes will less than 10 licenses, there will now be no vouchers. I'm sure that, moving forward, we will see no hunt codes with fewer than 10 licenses.

I haven't yet done an in depth analysis of my Colorado point situation but I'm still sitting pretty with my 2 deer and 2 elk points, correct?

Just felt like peeing on the Non-Residents Parade.... I feel for ya though... residents are in a slightly smaller but similar boat. A little number crunching for a reality check.

picture.php

So I figured most people with 16 + are trying for the big 4 in CO 2,201,10 & 61. I did a little break down on the points situation. First column is the NR tags issued... ironically enough it also correlates to the number of unit jumpers in would take to increase the draw length by a year. Second column is unit and hunt. Third column is what I consider the min. points to be near the draw pool. The forth Column is the min number of years it would take at the min point level in column 3 to draw. The fifth column is the actual amount of non- residents who have that point total or more that could potentially draw that tag. There are tons of people just building points that actually haven't applied. The last column is what I call the bad index. This is just a worst case ratio that shows you how many years it could take if everyone with more points drew that hunt. Its merely a figure to compare how bad it could be, but in all likely hood would be much less.

On a positive note... it would only take 40 years of properly ratioed applications to work through the 16+ pool on these 4 units...;)

Interesting notes:

NR with 0-4 points 52,651
NR with 6-9 points 9,576
NR with 10-19 points 8,638
NR with 20-26 points 1,038

Just felt like peeing on the Non-Residents Parade.... I feel for ya though... residents are in a slightly smaller but similar boat. A little number crunching for a reality check.

picture.php

So I figured most people with 16 + are trying for the big 4 in CO 2,201,10 & 61. I did a little break down on the points situation. First column is the NR tags issued... ironically enough it also correlates to the number of unit jumpers in would take to increase the draw length by a year. Second column is unit and hunt. Third column is what I consider the min. points to be near the draw pool. The forth Column is the min number of years it would take at the min point level in column 3 to draw. The fifth column is the actual amount of non- residents who have that point total or more that could potentially draw that tag. There are tons of people just building points that actually haven't applied. The last column is what I call the bad index. This is just a worst case ratio that shows you how many years it could take if everyone with more points drew that hunt. Its merely a figure to compare how bad it could be, but in all likely hood would be much less.

On a positive note... it would only take 40 years of properly ratioed applications to work through the 16+ pool on these 4 units...;)

Interesting notes:

NR with 0-4 points 52,651
NR with 6-9 points 9,576
NR with 10-19 points 8,638
NR with 20-26 points 1,038

Ha Sneaks!

I wouldn't be expecting a job offer from Hunting Fool anytime soon with that number crunching! Reality is a Beotch.

Don't worry...the math isn't too bad for non-residents.

Landowners will get 20 out of every 100 licenses now. Public licenses go from 85 to 80 per 100.

Res/non-res allocation in 65/35 units will go from 56/29 to 52/28.

Res/non-res allocation in 80/20 units will go from 68/17 to 64/16.

CPW claims that redeemed vouchers are about equally split between res and non-res.

So residents will lose 80% of the additional 5% that goes to landowners, and about 50% of that 5% will be redeemed by non-residents. Financial win for CPW.

Winning....

Just kidding Oak. As a NR I never feel like I am getting ahead when applying for draws west of the Mississippi.

Just beat on us little guys til we're all gone.

Now how are the LO's going to sell all these new tags they get since they're not "allowed" to broker them any longer?

The best part of all the above, is that the group in Oaks posts that wanted more vouchers are also the same group in some of those high point elk units Sneaks mentioned that get objective numbers reduced when management plans are finalized! Say that 3 times as fast as you can.

The ONLY way to reduce point creep that might work is by creating bigger wildlife populations. However, there is a few special interest out there that make that difficult.

I haven't yet done an in depth analysis of my Colorado point situation but I'm still sitting pretty with my 2 deer and 2 elk points, correct?

You're golden! It seems like there are some deer units in the 5-10 point range to draw but for elk, there are very, very few. I think for CO, it isn't worth it at all to have more than 3 points for elk. Well unless you already have 15 or 20...

You're golden! It seems like there are some deer units in the 5-10 point range to draw but for elk, there are very, very few. I think for CO, it isn't worth it at all to have more than 3 points for elk. Well unless you already have 15 or 20...

Deer are in the same boat... High point holders realize there is more demand that supply and are opting for lower point units. Units that used to have leftovers, now take 1-3 points to draw and will most likely increase over time. Elk will have the same fallout as deer....

On a positive note, min draw points will most like only increase 40% as people jump units to burn points. Some people will die with all those points waiting for their unit, and we will have to wait several years to hunt marginal units due to the fallout from the points fiasco,,:D

Add a 15% increase into your unit for the magazine influx factor, plus a 5-10% reduction in tags going to the public... it only sweetens those odds for drawing.....

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back