Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

CO Pt Creep Madness !!!

350.png

...at this point in life I gave up my points in 2 states and burnt the rest 6 yrs ago.
I had 6 deer in Ut when it was 8 to draw.....then 10. Same with elk.

You guys have one less applicant to worry about. Hope that makes your day!

It is pointless, not even sure why people look at that stupid crap? Its like going to a DSA banquet, or SCI shindig, and looking at the hunts for sale. Never going to happen - not going guided, and cannot afford $20k for a hunt plus tip ! In 20 years, this IS what hunting or applying to hunt will be - for the rich and famous. AND ONLY for the rich and famous.
so
Quit window shopping and applying to these units and playing these stupid F&*^^%ing games.
Go Hunt,

It is pointless, not even sure why people look at that stupid crap? Its like going to a DSA banquet, or SCI shindig, and looking at the hunts for sale. Never going to happen - not going guided, and cannot afford $20k for a hunt plus tip ! In 20 years, this IS what hunting or applying to hunt will be - for the rich and famous. AND ONLY for the rich and famous.
so
Quit window shopping and applying to these units and playing these stupid F&*^^%ing games.
Go Hunt,
In 20 years we won't have any OTC tags or National Forest or BLM land?:eek::eek::eek:

Steelhead - lets have a beer man. Inline thinking, I hate to say it, my son is only 10 and it sucks.
These units and hunts will be like museums, and galleries, thank-you drive-through.
So live and hunt hard for now and the moment.
go get a big CO buck of 2015.

I love to hunt but all the point creep BS, access issues, and other things really make me love and appreciate fishing even more. It's nice not having to buy a bonus point to go fishing...

So live and hunt hard for now and the moment.
Amen. I have my own thoughts in the "everything is going to hell" category... but dang it I try and stay positive. As long as I can hike my fat butt up a mountain and camp and see deer and the sunrise I'll be happy.
Fishing? Fishing? ...we're talking 'bout hunting.

Positivism....word of the day.
Stud bull in that pick too btw sir.
-Have gun - excellent question.

Joining RMEF?

No.

I received my annual CO preference point guide in the mail today. No Suprises....all the trophy units went up by another point !!!:(!!!:eek:

Everyone wants a tag in a trophy unit.
I'm happy to go hunting every year in NV by not applying for "trophy" units.

I received my annual CO preference point guide in the mail today. No Suprises....all the trophy units went up by another point !!!:(!!!:eek:

A person also has to realize that the points listed in that guide are the min amount of points to draw, only one person out of that point pool could have drawn the tag with that number of points and it will list that point level.

I bailed out of the elk point madness 2 years ago and hope to be rid of my deer points this year...............as a resident;)

appreciate the info

This has been very enlightening. I cashed out my NR points last year on an oddball unit that I researched in Wyoming and took a nice 320 bull. I have points in other states but now am just going to ride those out and won't be putting in for any new ones. I make a good living, but I am not a multi millionaire and that is who is going to be hunting in the near future. Once that generation passes, I really wonder who is going to hunt, as we are pricing our kids out of it. I really appreciate shows like Fresh Tracks that feature western hunting with an emphasis on public land. My sincere hope is that it will still even be possible in the future.

ok so what would be a good fix?

I'm like a broken record but ........................In Colorado at least, I feel a bunch of road closures(even seasonal ones) could potentially raise the age class of bucks and bulls in most OTC units thereby eliminating the need to wait for the glory hunts. Most people just want a honest chance a little better than average critter anyway.

Either wait a lifetime to hunt once or go every year and lace up your boots!

Ok.... just to be fair... I generated the same table for residents...:eek:

picture.php

Same explanation as the non resident table on the previous page. While the points are less overall for drawing as a resident, the bad index is slightly less in 61 due to the amount of tags, equal or worse than NR's in 2,201, and 10. So the outlook is pretty much the same.

It would take 17 years of proportional drawing to eliminate the 10+ pool and 41 years to eliminate the 5+ pool.

point holders

0-4 points 103,016 -roughly 50,000 more than non residents
5-9 points 9,849 - roughly 300 more than non residents
10-19 points 6,763 - roughly 1,900 less than non residents
20-28 points 361 - roughly 670 less than non residents

Interesting facts.... residents have point holders max out at 28... NR at 26.... Non residents with more points than residents make up about 1.3% of the total points pool combined.

Residents blame non-residents and NR's blame greedy residents. The whole time the wildlife commission is pulling a slight of hand and taking the tags away for private interest, and leaving NR's and res to blame each other, when truth is.... we're all riding the same sinking ship.:W:

I don't think the point of any of the residents on this thread is to dissuade non-residents from hunting here. I think it is to encourage non-residents to be more realistic about their expectations. The greatest cause for point creep IMO is the hunting consultant magazines like Huntin' Fool and Eastman's making somewhat arbitrary judgments of units like "excellent," "good," "marginal" and "poor." People who use these judgments to base their decisions on where to hunt are likely going to hunt less than the rest of us, and may be less satisfied with the outcome.

ok so what would be a good fix?

Any "fix" to the system is going to leave someone feeling disenchanted. Some say the system isn't broken. There is some truth to that, because it works for about 95% of the hunt codes in the state. There will never be enough "premium" opportunity to meet demand, and any system in place will just be distributing the limited opportunity differently. There will always be winners and losers.

Fishing? Fishing? ...we're talking 'bout hunting.

This coming from the guy whose name is Steelhead!

For the guys that draw the glory units with 20 points, I wonder how satisfied they are after the hunt? How big of an animal does a guy have to shoot to make it feel worth it? If a guy shoots "only" 300" bull, I wonder how they feel? If anybody on here has had a glory unit tag, I'd be curious to know how it went.

I'd be worried that I would put too much pressure on myself to really enjoy the hunt.

I don't think the point of any of the residents on this thread is to dissuade non-residents from hunting here. I think it is to encourage non-residents to be more realistic about their expectations. The greatest cause for point creep IMO is the hunting consultant magazines like Huntin' Fool and Eastman's making somewhat arbitrary judgments of units like "excellent," "good," "marginal" and "poor." People who use these judgments to base their decisions on where to hunt are likely going to hunt less than the rest of us, and may be less satisfied with the outcome.

More BS than I can handle.jpg

Wait a second, here. Non-residents are paying good money for that research information. Now we have some Colorado residents saying that information might be skewed. How dare you?

Let me get this straight. You Colorado residents are telling me that recommendations from those research services aren't the gospel? You're telling me that they might recommend units that they have not personally hunted? You're telling me that these recommendations might be influenced by the outfitter bookings they can help with to augment a booking service business they might have? You're saying that by following their advice on units and strategies, I'm not guaranteed a 200" mule deer and a 370" bull? You're telling me that there are units not on their lists that could actually hold good bucks and bulls. Well, ........ phttttt.

I might just have to call BS on you. :D

This coming from the guy whose name is Steelhead!
It used to be steelhead...now it's only backpack hunting.

Fishing: You catch a trophy fish...you keep fishing. Catch another...you keep fishing.
Hunting: You hunt, walk around and enjoy the world, walk around and enjoy the world, see cool stuff, sit on a stump and ponder, sit on a rock and ponder, you shoot something...that's it, it's over. The work begins.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back