CO Pt Creep Madness !!!

Said publications do an excellent job of funneling applications to certain units, thereby making better odds for me in areas they aren't pimping

That giant buck making the rounds came from an easy to draw unit if I remember correctly. Plenty of other "non-endorsed" units have good bucks and/or opportunities.

Why does everybody think they must hunt in a "trophy" unit?
Because in trophy units you are guaranteed of a 200" buck or a 370" bull as soon as you draw the tag...haven't you been listening??:D:D
On the real though I think with some tags they might even crate ship you your animal already mounted at the same time as they ship your tag.

Magazines and outfitters say they're good so it must be true. No trophy animals exist on any units not pimped by the publications.

I like areas that attract a ton of applicants with almost no chance of drawing...I rarely apply for any of them.

For the record... I am more of a meat hunter than trophy hunter. This CO elk thing is the only "once in a lifetime" kinda deal for me. And this is only because I hunt elk, deer & antelope every yr in other units or states. I bought most of these pts for $3 each & I'm not gonna throw 17 pts out the window. I know that some of u guys who posted here r in this thread are in the same boat as I am in various drawings. This CO elk draw thing isnt hindering my hunting at all. I have plenty of other hunts to do every yr, while I make my donations to Colorado G&F, and wait. I agree w what most of u guys are saying. I examine the pt fees, app fees, yrs to draw & the "value of the tag or game animal to me" before I start applying.

Last edited:
I'll have to admit I am one of those guys dumb enough to buy into the BS 23 years ago. Looked promising at the start, then the rules continued to evolve. Non-residents could no longer hunt Ranching for Wildlife. Percentage of tags for NR reduced. Now I hear Landowner tags will make a dent in the available tags. Main reason I have stuck with it is my hunting partner took a nice 379 Bull in one of those units and knows the unit very well. The carrot is just ahead. I'm almost there? I subscribe to one of those Hunting magazines. They can provide me a great list of outfitters not much else in the advice area. I am a retired public servant. Putting two kids through college takes care of my excess dollars. I am looking at other units now. Getting older and slower and I haven't seen many 4x4 power chairs that can get you into the backcountry.

I moved to CO a year and a half ago. At first I aganized over the point guide and became a little depressed. I don't think I will ever draw a limited trophy elk tag. Then I went out on the archery elk hunt. I was in a unit where even the first rifle tags can be had as a left over. It took me a little while to figure it out but I was able to do my Randy Newberg impersionation, going up and around private property. The last two weekends, I was able to get into several herds with bugling bulls. I still plan on putting in, it really dosn't cost much. However, I am now focused on finding more spots like this and getting into them for as many years as my body will allow. There are a lot of elk in this state. I no longer see a need to look at going anywhere else to hunt. There are plenty of bulls here and I love living close to where hunt. My biggest fear is that the fix will become, making more draw units and reducing the OTC opportunities

So I have a very uninformed question for you all about this point business. Colorado is a bonus point system and not a preference point system correct? So doesn't that mean that even if you have 20+ points you are NEVER guaranteed a tag? Doesn't that also mean that someone with NO points also has a chance, albeit small, at drawing YOUR max-point trophy tag? (Unless they do a first pass/second pass thing like AZ where the first pass is given to max point holders? I have yet to look into CO :) )

Last edited:
CO is a bonus point system for moose, sheep and mountain goat, and a preference point system for all other species.

So is there any chance of a guy with 10 points getting drawn for a unit like 61 in the next 25 years?

So, after the statement from the post above by Zimmy, (not sure if he was joking or serious) I kinda have the same sentiments as was already stated:
For the guys that draw the glory units with 20 points, I wonder how satisfied they are after the hunt? How big of an animal does a guy have to shoot to make it feel worth it? If a guy shoots "only" 300" bull, I wonder how they feel? If anybody on here has had a glory unit tag, I'd be curious to know how it went.

I'd be worried that I would put too much pressure on myself to really enjoy the hunt.

So why are people waiting and waiting and waiting 10, 20, sometimes 30 years to draw a tag when they could be going hunting every couple of years with only a couple of points? I understand the need or want to always find the bigger/stronger/faster animal; it is what drives us to do the things we as outdoor enthusiasts do and I am proud of that. But I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that someone will wait 20 years for a hunt rather than hunting more consistently every couple of years. What if on the 20 year draw hunt, the temps are 40 degrees below what they normally are and there is a blizzard and blinding wind for 2 weeks straight. You didn't see a single deer/elk/sheep etc.. Was it worth it?

So, after the statement from the post above by Zimmy, (not sure if he was joking or serious) I kinda have the same sentiments as was already stated:

So why are people waiting and waiting and waiting 10, 20, sometimes 30 years to draw a tag when they could be going hunting every couple of years with only a couple of points? I understand the need or want to always find the bigger/stronger/faster animal; it is what drives us to do the things we as outdoor enthusiasts do and I am proud of that. But I still have a hard time wrapping my head around the idea that someone will wait 20 years for a hunt rather than hunting more consistently every couple of years. What if on the 20 year draw hunt, the temps are 40 degrees below what they normally are and there is a blizzard and blinding wind for 2 weeks straight. You didn't see a single deer/elk/sheep etc.. Was it worth it?
Some just don't know better! ;) They put in for the "best" as told to them. Others want the best shot at a big critter they can find and in some cases this is best in one of these premier units. IMO, it also depends on where one is applying FROM. I know if I lived in a state where I could easily and cheaply hunt elk that my application strategy for some states would be different. Beings I am where I am, I apply in states that I can draw fairly easily (0-not many points) and trophy states where I only hope for a real good unit.

1pointer, I'm thinking that is how I'm looking at things too. While I've never shot a B&C whitetail, I live in the midwest where there are lots of whitetails. If things were flip-flopped and there were point systems (and a bunch of public land) in place for whitetails here, I may do things the way people who live where the elk are do things. I would still hunt the back 40 every year for my forkhorn buck, but I would be putting in for points every year for pike county for that 1 shot at a booner.

The main reason I apply for points in several states is to select hunts where tags are limited and you have the opportunity at a quality animal. For me it does not have to be a BC animal. I have hunted areas where at first light there is an orange hat or vest on every rock. Hate It! I have hunted Deer in the same wilderness area for over 40 years here because I can get away from the crowds. There are not many monsters there and if you see a forked horn you better not pass on it. However I have killed a few nice 4x4's and 3x3's. The worst part about hunting the limited draw areas in other states is they are too far from me to scout in advance. Many articles you read in the top hunting publications they scout all summer, put up cameras, etc. The worst part to me is once you draw, have a great hunt in a beautiful location and learn the unit you realize you will never get to hunt that spot again.

There are other ways to do it as well. My nephew has 20ish points for elk and still hunts every year here in Colorado. His first choice every year is a "trophy" unit, but we usually hunt OTC. Just because people have alot of points built up doesn't mean they are waiting 20 years to hunt.

Back