Co point creep

mixedbag

What the heck happened in Co this year??I just checked backdoor results and I didn't draw my tag.I had 4 points going into the draw and you only needed 3 for 100% odds for the 3rd season unit I put in for.Were the season dates just to good for people not to hold their points or are tag numbers way down??Trying to figure out how a sure thing didn't hit this year

Yeah. Season dates is the reason, I'm guessing. The 3rd & 4th rifle seasons were rocked back this year further into November, which is gonna bring people out of the woodwork who were building points. Gonna be tough this year. On the flip side, I suspect that point creep should slow a little next year. That's my guess anyway.

I agree with RMyoung. It's the later dates were too good to pass up for most people. I used 8 points for a 3rd season tag and last year it took 6 points for 100% chance. For me it was based on me attending my niece's wedding on Nov. 5th and extending it into a few days hunting the following week. And I didn't ever see myself drawing a unit 66 tag in the next 10 years or so, and this alternate unit was a fallback. I bet next year you will draw your desired tag and it's only one day difference between this year and 2017.

I applied for a tag that took 10 to be guaranteed last year with 12 and drew, but there were others in my point level that I don't think drew it. this is the 1st year I have put in to try and draw, I needed a hunt for this year. next year I will put in to draw my elk and be done with Colorado for awhile.

Last edited:
I think alot of guys jumped in off the sidelines, it will be interesting to see how bad the point creep is. The bad news is it very rarely goes down, only up it seems like.

I think alot of guys jumped in off the sidelines, it will be interesting to see how bad the point creep is. The bad news is it very rarely goes down, only up it seems like.

Yeah, I doubt the tough-to-draw units will require fewer points to draw in '17. But... for the eternally optimistic... the rate of point creep should moderate next year. So if your favorite unit jumped a whole point (or more) in '16, it probably won't make a similar jump in '17. It better not...:)

My unit had to have jumped 2 points for 100% odds.I went in with one point more then needed and lost.I'm kind of bummed out now.I was looking forward to 3rd season muleys in Co.Now with 5 points, I'm pretty much in no mans land.I planned to burn my deer points this year and my elk points next year on a hunt with my son.I'll still cash in my elk points next year on a real good archery hunt/unit.Dont know what to do about the deer points
Maybe I'll just buy a Mt leftover for deer.I really enjoy late season deer hunts

MT general deer combo's are sold out already. There are some elk/deer combos left though. I had the same thought, but they went on sale on the 9th and went quick apparently.

Wow,I'm surprised they went that quick with Co and Wy still waiting to draw.Thanks for the heads up.Guess I may just have to head up into the alpine on POW for some blacktails.

Mixedbag - let me tell ya what has happened.
A crime. Our tags went to private lands.
My friend got money back for moose. Over 20 years in the system?
He is 63.

Looks like my unit went from a 10 to 13 guarantee. I guess i slipped in with 12. I know a few people who did not with 12

It was going to be close for me in Unit 6 with 4 points. Me and another guy in our group had 4 pts and neither drew. There was about a 75% chance to draw and no luck. hopefully 5 will do it next year. Dang Point creep!!

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back