CO app question

rmyoung1

I have a question regarding CO applications that I'm hoping someone here can help me with. It's probably best asked in an example so here it goes:

Suppose I have been accruing some elk pref points in an effort to draw a certain 1st season rifle tag requiring a few points in the future. In the meantime, however, there's a certain muzzleloader hunt code for which I would like apply without burning my points. The muzzleloader hunt isn't requiring any points for someone to draw, and I'd like to give it a go, but not at the expense of the points I have already accrued. Is there a way I can "take a year off" from accruing points (so to speak) and draw the muzzleloader tag without burning points? Does simply not marking the Do-You-Have-Points? box on the application accomplish this?

Thanks for the help.

I am pretty sure you are going to loose your points with any successful 1st choice app. I know where you are coming from though. It may make it to 2nd choice though and if it does you won't burn your points.

If you don't know how to look at the tables PM me and I will help analyze it for you.

I'm not 100% sure, and some can correct me if I'm wrong, but if it's a 0 point draw why don't you put it as a 2nd choice tag with a PP as your 1st choice. That way you are not going to lose points.

Sorry... I should've been a little more specific. So my desired muzzy hunt is not able to be drawn as a 2nd choice. That would be the easiest of answers but the tags are being consumed by the first-choice applicants. Nearly all of the 1st choice applicants are drawing the tag, but no tags are left for 2nd-choice applicants.

Is there a way to apply for this muzzleloader hunt as a 1st choice without burning points already accrued?

Last edited:
About your only option is a landowner tag if they are available.
You could hunt this year with that or if you are gonna delay until 2014 go ahead and apply with this muzzy tag as 2nd choice(you never know) and watch the prices of LO tags this year to see if it's worth it. 0 point LO tags can be under a grand.

Man... That's a bummer. What is the purpose of that Do-You-Have-Points? box, I wonder.

Ah, Gollum was not looking at a ring when he said, "So bright, so beautiful. Ah, precious!" He was a hunter checking his points.

In ID and NM you would never have this anxiety. No point system there.

Because you have previously "invested" in points, you now fear wasting the points though it appears you otherwise would feel the CO muzzie hunt was a worthy bull elk hunt.

Maybe you spend a grand or two on a landowner muzzie tag to "save" your points.

My opinion is you have two choices in CO for elk...wait 2 decades to catch up with point creep on best units as those ahead of you draw or literally die of old age...or look for 3-5 point hunts and hunt several times. Waiting 2 decades for a spectacular tag then having a drought or blizzard or forest fire etc etc would bum out most hunters.

Ah, Gollum was not looking at a ring when he said, "So bright, so beautiful. Ah, precious!" He was a hunter checking his points.

...methinks Gollum is cyphering how to get the bracelet for free.;)

My opinion is you have two choices in CO for elk...wait 2 decades to catch up with point creep on best units as those ahead of you draw or literally die of old age...or look for 3-5 point hunts and hunt several times. Waiting 2 decades for a spectacular tag then having a drought or blizzard or forest fire etc etc would bum out most hunters.

Actually I'm doing the latter already. Drew 1st choice elk tag last year. Trying to figure out how to do the muzzleloader hunt and then draw the rifle hunt again the following year. IMO it's not worth building up many points in CO for elk. But it sure would be fun to hunt my favorite spot with a muzzleloader and a rifle in back-to-back years.

My example in the original post probably made it sound like I'm sitting on a bunch of points but that's not the case. I'm just trying to figure out if it is possible to hunt my unit with my a muzzleloader and then come back and draw the 1st rifle tag the following year.

Last edited:
Sounds like the ML bull tag is a no-go as a second choice. Have you considered hunting archery or OTC rifle between 1st season tags? What about hunting a 1st season or ML cow tag?

You can't not use your points when applying for a first choice on your application.

The last thing Colorado needs is to offer another way for guys to hunt while building points. That's why we are in the point creep mess we are in now.

And, yeah, good point, Oak. I will just have to draw the rifle tag first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back