CO 2014 elk hunt

illinoisdeerfarmer

From Eastern Illinois here. I am wanting to head out to Colorado this fall for a archery or muzzle loader elk hunt. Have hunted whitetails for the past 25 years...but wanting to kill an elk now. I went on a solo elk hunt back in 2006. Really bad experience! Ended up breaking an arm and not even seeing an elk. If anyone is looking for an elk hunting partner...shoot me an email. LOL Actually looking for any advice anyone might have to offer up a green horn elk hunter about to embark on a solo hunt to Colorado. I look at the GMU maps and just can't seem to decide on and exact spot to head to. Got a few points saved up...but not opposed to doing and OTC either.

Welcome to HT ! My advise is to go to the old threads and read all that you can and take notes. I just made my maiden voyage to CO for OTC archery elk last year. I can't help you with where to go but we had as good of an experience as possible without killing an elk. If you have any specific questions on gear, techniques, etc, just ask, most guys will give you lots of opinions and options. It takes a TON of research sometimes and then all of a sudden it will just fall in your lap and be obvious where you want to go. Good luck!

From Eastern Illinois here. I am wanting to head out to Colorado this fall for a archery or muzzle loader elk hunt. Have hunted whitetails for the past 25 years...but wanting to kill an elk now. I went on a solo elk hunt back in 2006. Really bad experience! Ended up breaking an arm and not even seeing an elk. If anyone is looking for an elk hunting partner...shoot me an email. LOL Actually looking for any advice anyone might have to offer up a green horn elk hunter about to embark on a solo hunt to Colorado. I look at the GMU maps and just can't seem to decide on and exact spot to head to. Got a few points saved up...but not opposed to doing and OTC either.

Welcome!! The CO CPW website has some great info. I would start with Elk Hunting University series of articles and videos. Also, the Almanac has got tons of info. Finally, on top of whatever info you can get here, call the CPW Hunt Planners. They are knowledgeable folks who are paid to help you and are friendly at that :) This is going to be my 3rd season of elk hunting coming up and it is all I thought it would be. Shot a bull and cow in my first go round and got skunked last year but still had a wonderful time. Best of luck!!

I almost forgot to ask....What kind of experience do you have with the "big woods" ? Altitude? What kind of camp are you looking to set up and how skilled are you at outdoor survival?

I'm looking for a partner too, 1st timer, from Louisville, KY. I want the challenge of bowhunting elk. I've picked out a spot in the South San Juan Mtns, GMU 81. Email me [email protected] - Tucker

Best of luck on the hunt.

The one thing I can offer out is to do some planning and research on what to do when you do get an elk. Know the necessity of skinning it. Know how to break it down and get it off the mountain.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back