Caribou Gear Tarp

Classic hunting rifles - American vs European

Recently I've thought I might want to start a small collection of vintage classic hunting rifles. They wouldn't be "safe queens" as I would intend to shoot/hunt with them on occasion.

I have (and am very familiar with) several modern hunting rifles, but I'm a history buff of sorts and can appreciate a vintage rifle - although I'm far from an expert being far too young to have experienced the original "heyday" of these rifles.

I have Kimber Montanas in 243 and 280 so I have my modern hunting rifles pretty well covered.

I'd like to tap into the "hive of experience" here regarding European vs American rifles that might fall into the category of classic hunting rifles. Would you focus on European rifles or American rifles of the period?

Looking at classic hunting rifles (let's say from the 1950's onward) - Husqvarna 1600, early Sakos, FN Mauser, Schultz and Larsen, etc. vs Winchester/Remington/Weatherby/etc.

What would your leaning be around general material quality, fit and finish, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
You may want to check out USOG on YouTube and or Patreon if you don’t already. He collects and reviews many vintage firearms; also current comparisons. They don’t makem like they used to . You will discover both the good and the bad. My K98k Mauser and 1956 Mannlicher are cherished gems. It’s interesting to examine them and see the grade of materials and craftsmanship. Good luck and enjoy your new passion.

There's some really well made post WW2 firearms in both European and American makers. A lot of this depends on your budget, of course, but the boutique makers in the US really took off post WW2. It also tends to coincide with the loss of handmade works out of the factories as production costs were being cut through the automation of manufacturing, rather than relying on skilled tradesmen & women. The Winchester model 70, and most of the Winchester line, pre 1964 are prime collectables that are often times affordable. I'd keep my eye out for custom rifles though. I picked up a custom .338 Winchester magnum on a P14 Winchester made action that shoots well under an inch at 100 yards, and has taken game cleanly out to 375 yards. I'm currently fitting that 1970's custom to a 1930's stock from an old Remington Model 30 Express that I picked up from @Durango Mike. That rifle has the best of both worlds now, IMO. Classic straight grained American stock with a well built custom rifle. My Model 70 featherwight is no collector since it's been refinished & I added a red pad to it, but it's a fantastic rifle & I've taken the most game with it, out of all in my safe. My Tang Safety Ruger M77 was my first grown up rifle. It was in 7mm Mauser, but sprayed bullets, so now it's got a new tube in 7mm AI and it's a tack driver with family history.

Pre-64 levers from Winchester, JM stamped Marlins, etc all have collectability and they are excellent hunting weapons. You've also got some quality Japanese guns in this mix, like the Browning BSS, Winchester 101, etc. Lots of companies went overseas post WW2, especially to Japan, when they found out the quality of the build was better and costs lower than hiring, training & retaining skilled craftsmen. Then you have the Weatherby SKB shotguns that were imported from Japan as well - super quality guns and often times way undervalued for what they are in terms of build quality.

Post war European rifles & shotguns are well made firearms with a lot of collectability. I am always looking out for the right 1940's - 1960's vintage Browning Superposed. Steyr, Sako's, Mauser , Merkels, Simsons and Krieghoffs all hold their value extremely well and you can usually find some solid custom rifles that are not marked but were built for the trade, such as the FN Mausers used by JC Higgins - combining American ingenuity with old world craftmanship. Spanish shotguns are highly collectable if the right maker and model is involved, but you can still pick up an AyA Matador for under $1000 in fantastic condition, and the Italian guns from this period are solid collectors as well and can usually be found for a decent price. Husky's are usually undervalued, IMO. Stepping into British firearms generally means a significant investment in terms of cash, but most of those guns will hold or increase in value if properly maintained.

WW2 bringbacks can still be found and can provide a chance to get into a pre-war sporting rifle at post war pricing. I've got a Haenel made carbine in 8x57J that was made for Mouflon and Chamois hunting that had a note from the son of the GI who brought it back in '46 and a 98 Mauser that was somebody's cigarette gun during the occupation (when German gunsmiths were forbidden to make money on firearms, so traded cigarettes to US Servicemen looking to send home a trophy or two).

If your heart is set on that period, do a lot of research in terms of collectability value and possible investment value. Knowing your target piece is critical both in terms of assessing value and in assessing it's condition. Foreign guns might have bore issues from Berdan primers using corrosive powders, and American guns might just be beaten to hell and back.

Fit & Finish: Look for hand checkering, not pressed or lazer cut. Hand checkering has a better feel to it and it both precise and imperfect. Wood to metal fit is important as well. If a stock is too proud of the metal, then it's going to feel clunky in the hand. If the metal is proud of the wood, then you likely have a firearm that's been refinished. Check the quality of the finish, peeling of stocks, crazing of the finish, etc all reduce the value of the firearm. Pads should be from the era and still subtle and soft. If it's brittle then the pad will need to be replaced, which could affect the value of the gun. Metal finish too - be on the look out for patches of cold blue, rust, pitting and really scope out the bore. My Mauser had throat erosion to the point where I had 2" of freebore and the bbl was toast.

Refinished firearms are a lower collectable than factory original. Additions like corn-cob adjustable chokes lower value a lot, and recoil pads do as well. For factory firearms - original is the key. Even if it's beat to hell. Rough stocks with original finish> refinished. Patinaed metal>reblued metal, etc.

Customs can generally be had for less than factory originals, but it's not really about the monetary value they hold as much as respecting the craft of the maker and enjoying a finely tuned firearm that was built by hand.

I personally prefer sporting weapons between the late 1890's & 1950 from both Europe and North America. At the end of the day, this is like collecting art: You can do it for a variety of reasons, but the most important is your own personal aesthetic. This is a significant disease, though. So your best bet is to really dig into the history of the period you want to collect from and dial in what you want, become as expert on them as you can, and be selective in what you buy. Regretting the purchase of $1500 - $5000 item isn't fun.

Last edited:
I'm partial to the U.S. rifles but I did pick up this Steyr Mannlicher Model L in .243 Win. Got it off an auction for $1200. I love the full length stock and I've come to like the double/set trigger design.

SM.jpg

I've picked up several Mausers lately.
First is a BMI 44, chambered in 8X57JS. I found out they were contracted from Steyr for the German SS.
Barrel is toast with the sights missing. Stock was Bubba sporterized and hacked all to heck. Only good for firewood.
I was planning on doing a 7X57 hunting rifle build on it, but i'm leaning more towards taking the barrel off & selling the action.

Second is a Spanish 33 Mauser chambered in 7X57. Barrel in decent shape. Again, stock good for firewood. But it does have the original sights on it.
I'll be looking to put it back to it's original condition.
Price on it was free. Given to me by a friend.

3rd is a mystery Mauser action. I think the "bluing" is actually paint. Chambered in 88X57JS. Rifle was put together by Firearms Co, Alpine in England.
Already drilled & tapped for a scope. Stock is really nice! Just needs cleaned & finished. Has a raw look to it now.
Price was free. Given to me by the same friend as the Spanish Mauser.

Deals are out there to be had. Just have to keep searching.

The European classics of which some are still in business today would include makers such as Holland & Holland, Gibbs, Westley Richards and others.
They are true classics, with the craftsmanship that matches their pricing.

But i also know of a beautifully sporterized Mosin Nagant that i'd proudly own if given the chance.

Last edited:
Classic rifles and shotguns can set you back thousands$$. It is best to start as soon as you can and keep adding as you get interested in them.

One thing to consider, there are many more classics than you are limiting yourself to by thinking 1950 and later...

View attachment 178459View attachment 178460View attachment 178461View attachment 178462View attachment 178463View attachment 178464
Ok, I have to ask, what is the double rifle? That is a serously nice rifle!

Back