Vintage Rifles, Vintage Scopes

Vintage Rifles, Vintage scope. Anyone else have this habit.

I just cannot bear to put a modern variable powered scope on a vintage rifle.

I have a 30-06 pre-64 Featherweight model 70 with a Denver Colorado Redfield 4X.

My Custom FN 35 Whelen has a 2.5 X El Paso made Weaver on it with the big fat vertical tapered post. I used it to shoot boar in the moonlight on depredation permits. It worked so well for that and also deer and elk in the black timber.

I have two antelope rifles. Both Winchester model 70’s. One is the 6.5x55 Swede. That has fixed 6X.

The other is a 1950’s Standard weight model 70 in 270. To keep it “pure Jack O'Connor” it wears a older Weaver 4X. Most of these scopes have been restored by Iron Sight scope repair service.

I do have a “lucky scope” a fixed three power vintage Weaver. It has been on several rifles over many years and I have taken deer, antelope (lots of them) and wild boar out to 400 yards.

When I bought a Kimber Hunter in 280AI. I planned to put a fixed 4X on it but my friend got so irritated with me he gave me a used but not abused Leopold 2.5 to 8X as a gift. I took a nice buck with it last year. The scope was set about 3 - 4 power.

Anybody else like the old scopes. One thing I hate about new big scopes is that they are not saddle scabbard friendly.
My 7mm Rem Mag had a Denver Redfield on it. 4x also 4plex cch widefield, loved it. Got a 338 Win Mag and got another Denver Redfield 2 3/4x 4 plex cch widefield. Still using it today on a custom 1903 in 30-06!

1903 Springfield w/2 3/4x Redfield Widefield 4 plex cch. Best hunting scope I ever had!

My first-ever rifle had a Weaver K6 on it and even though I’ve had modern Leupolds on a couple of rifles, I still love the old-school Weavers. I posted a different pic of this rifle in a different thread, but this is an old FN Mauser and its Weaver K4.

FD056557-D0E3-4D60-9009-BB5833DFC190.jpeg

I'd bet a dollar to a sugar cookie that is a Weaver, had one ust like it!
You do know that sugar cookies are going for $2.79 these days? I just bought one for my wife (really :) ). Goldfish crackers are still under a dollar (each).

Just sayin'

And Merry Christmas Eve for all of those that have pulled through yesterday's nastiness.

On the topic of vintage scopes.....I have this Kollmorgen Bear Cub Master 4x scope with mechanical mounts for a Rem 721/700.

Free for whoever can use it. You pay shipping please.

Attachments

• IMG_0070a.JPG
    IMG_0070a.JPG
    556.4 KB · Views: 4
A couple of years ago my local Cabelas in Hazelwood Missouri had several racks of old production Weatherbys. I mean like 50+ rifles. All of them were topped with steel Redfield, Luepold or Bushnell scopes. The rifles were of every Weatherby caliber that you could think of. They were some beautiful rifles and several of them had some premier grade wood. I drooled over them until they were gone. I always wanted one, just didn't have the funds available to pull the trigger. Beautiful rifles and vintage scopes just made the package that much more attractive. I don't think I could have put a modern scope on those rifles, it just wouldn't look the same. They were like a piece of vintage artwork. Classic design and craftsmanship. See for your self. Check out this search and click on the Cabelas rifles with wood stocks, most of them are used and in incredible shape.

blacksheep

Yeah, I have that problem. Big time. But "vintage" is subjective thing.

p2TunIM.jpg

1MDz2VF.jpg
Is that a Lyman?

Is that a couple Rem 660's? I used one a lot of years with a Denver Redfield 2 3/4x I bought new on it. Killed a lot of deer with it and my son took his first deer with it. That scope is now on my old custom 1903 I inherited from a very close friend, the 660 now lives with my son! He had it msade for himself when he was discharged from the military in 1946. WWII with a purple heart!

The rifles no. I assume you mean the scopes. They are not Lymans either. The top one is a Unertl "Small Game" scope and the bottom one is a Fecker.

I take that back, they are the same scope on both rifles. The Unertl

Is that a couple Rem 660's? I used one a lot of years with a Denver Redfield 2 3/4x I bought new on it. Killed a lot of deer with it and my son took his first deer with it. That scope is now on my old custom 1903 I inherited from a very close friend, the 660 now lives with my son! He had it msade for himself when he was discharged from the military in 1946. WWII with a purple heart!
Don they are a pair of Rem 600's left to me by my pops.
The 600s had the shorter (18.5" vs 20") barrels and the vent ribs.
That short bbl on the .350 Rem Mag will get you attention lol

Don they are a pair of Rem 600's left to me by my pops.
The 600s had the shorter (18.5" vs 20") barrels and the vent ribs.
That short bbl on the .350 Rem Mag will get you attention lol
I have had both and didn't care for the 18.5" barrel myself. The 660 20" version was my favorite hunting rifle for a lot of years. And it was a good shooter, getting to one inch and better was not a problem with it.

Here’s a gaggle of Sako L46’s:

Top 7X33 with Unertl 4X
218 Bee with Balvar 2.5-8 and Kuharski base
22 Hornet Balvar 2.5-8 and Kuharski base
222 Remington Balvar 2.5-8 and Kuharski base

A12F1981-B24A-4E7F-AB60-A6F56278BD28.jpeg

Not sure what the definition of vintage is but here’s a 70 year old rifle with a 50 year old scope. Rem. 721 in 300 H&H from the 1950s with a Leupold vari-x 2-7 from the 1970s.

This was my late father’s favorite rifle. It originally had a weaver k4 but during a Wyoming elk hunt he missed his only chance at a nice bull when the weaver fogged up during a wet snowstorm. I remember him describing the hunt and saying when bull walked into the only opening he had he put the rifle up and it was like trying to look through a glass of milk. When he got back he put the leupold on it.

IMG_2638.jpeg

Back