Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Vintage Rifles, Vintage Scopes

Other than my 30-06 I already posted in here, about all I have is a mod 61a Winchester 22 RF. No scope on it, would have to have it drilled for that but as a kid a friend's dad let him use his 62a and I envied that guy. Love the old pump! I don't use mine a lot anymore, open sight's just to hard to use with old eyes!

Ah shoot, probably should have a photo in this so here's that 1903 Springfield again with the Denver Redfield 2 3/4x 4plex CCH scope. Rifle was made in 1945 by Paul Jaeger and got the scope brand new about 1971.
JEfgdVGl.jpg

Come to thing of it I do have a few old shotguns. have three AyA's, a 16ga, 28ga and a 410 and an old Ithica Mod 37 from the early 1950's.

Last edited:
I will have to go to the safe and pull out a custom Mauser in 35 whelan built by P O Ackley that was an ultra lightweight, 17 1/2 inch barrel that has several graduated tapers, built sometime in the 30's and tips in at 5 1/2 pounds. Even with a primitive muzzle break that sucker kicks like the proverbial mule.

I will burn @wllm1313 to the ground if this doesn't happen today.

Also - *Whelen

MR,
The top rifle is a .22 lr in Iowa and the bottom is .38-72 in Wyoming. Those sticks have been with me for over 25 yrs now.

I normally use apertures for big game, but I'm trying to learn to use scopes.

751ojrP.jpg
The longer you wait to use scope's the easier it get's. The eye's get old and say to hell with this!

Vintage Rifles, Vintage scope. Anyone else have this habit.

I just cannot bear to put a modern variable powered scope on a vintage rifle.

I have a 30-06 pre-64 Featherweight model 70 with a Denver Colorado Redfield 4X.

My Custom FN 35 Whelen has a 2.5 X El Paso made Weaver on it with the big fat vertical tapered post. I used it to shoot boar in the moonlight on depredation permits. It worked so well for that and also deer and elk in the black timber.

I have two antelope rifles. Both Winchester model 70’s. One is the 6.5x55 Swede. That has fixed 6X.

The other is a 1950’s Standard weight model 70 in 270. To keep it “pure Jack O'Connor” it wears a older Weaver 4X. Most of these scopes have been restored by Iron Sight scope repair service.

I do have a “lucky scope” a fixed three power vintage Weaver. It has been on several rifles over many years and I have taken deer, antelope (lots of them) and wild boar out to 400 yards.

When I bought a Kimber Hunter in 280AI. I planned to put a fixed 4X on it but my friend got so irritated with me he gave me a used but not abused Leopold 2.5 to 8X as a gift. I took a nice buck with it last year. The scope was set about 3 - 4 power.

Anybody else like the old scopes. One thing I hate about new big scopes is that they are not saddle scabbard friendly.
Mustang... I couldn’t agree more.. i’ll take my Weaver fixed or my old Redfield 3x9, I do very well with them. Most “new” scopes have a really huge objective lenses..

That old 2 3/4x Redfield is by far my favorite hunting scope. I've got a couple 2-7x scopes and a few 3-9x but I always hunt with them on the lowest power. Also have an old 1-4x Redfield on my rifle for cast bullet's. always use it on 4x. Get down to 1x and I can watch the barrel vibrate when I shoot it, bit distracting looking at the barrel! Is a great scope though. My 22mag has an old El Paso 4x Weaver in it, really good scope! My 25-06 has an early Bushnell Banner on it and it's been a really good scope to say the least.

Other than my 30-06 I already posted in here, about all I have is a mod 61a Winchester 22 RF. No scope on it, would have to have it drilled for that but as a kid a friend's dad let him use his 62a and I envied that guy. Love the old pump! I don't use mine a lot anymore, open sight's just to hard to use with old eyes!

Ah shoot, probably should have a photo in this so here's that 1903 Springfield again with the Denver Redfield 2 3/4x 4plex CCH scope. Rifle was made in 1945 by Paul Jaeger and got the scope brand new about 1971.
JEfgdVGl.jpg

Come to thing of it I do have a few old shotguns. have three AyA's, a 16ga, 28ga and a 410 and an old Ithica Mod 37 from the early 1950's.
I could have hunted for my entire lifetime with just your firearms. Thank you

I have an addiction to old guns with character. I like the idea of classic optics but my eyes do not. When I inherited my dad's model 600 a beautiful fixed power (likely a 4 power but I honestly don't know for sure) sat on top of it. Unfortunately, with my eyes anything beyond fifty yards looked like a speck so I put a modern variable on it. When I bought my model 88, I did the same.

One of my favorite vintage rifle scopes combos is the FN action 257 Weatherby with a old Weatherby 2.5 -10 scope. I have several vintage USA made Redfields and Leupolds that still work beautifully some 50 years old are more.06305729-F82C-4FA3-8A9B-03C0333E9F5F.jpeg

Last edited:
The oldest scoped rifle I have is a late 1960's Rem 742 in .30-'06 with a K2.5 on it. My dad was wicked on running game with it.

My personal best double on running coyotes was with this gun.

Howdy.

I hunt whitetails with this rifle. It is a 1941 Mauser 98, built in Steyr, Austria, in an automotive plant, by German POWs. I have since modified the rifle and is now "sporterized". Changes include:
A new barrel in a 257 Roberts, new Timney trigger set @ 1.5 lbs, side mounted swing safety(Winchester style), new walnut stock with ivory, diamond shaped inserts and pistol grip butt, Leopold mounts & rings, Bushnell 4X12X40 scope.

Mauser 98 #1.jpg
Mauser 98 #2.jpg
Mauser 98 #3.jpg

Mauser 98 #4.jpg

YEEHAW! :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back