PEAX Equipment

Chronograph recommendations

I am starting to get into reloading and using a scope with turrets. I am just curious what chronograph you all use or would recommend or not recommend.

Thanks, Andy

I have a Pact. Seems to be like a pretty good chrony for the money. It is kind of a pain to set up on a tripod each time, but other guys complain about getting wonky readings in different light conditions. Mine seems to be pretty consistent except for when the sun is directly overhead.

If you have the money, the Oehler, by most accounts, is the best available, but they aren't cheap.
http://oehler-research.com/model35.html

Of the more affordable models, the Pact suggested above and the ProChrono digital get good reviews. That said, one I'm real interested in is the magneto speed! It works using magnets so there should be no problem in all lighting conditions. The very limited reviews I've read of it have been positive. The only downside I've read of is that it's only good for firearms.
http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I don't use a chrono, from almost everyone I've read they have had troubles with them, and they don't seem to match their true ballistic profile anyway. I just take a guess at the velocity, shoot at some longer ranges. Record the impact and number of clicks, then use gseven ballistic calculator to get my "true" velocity. It has worked so far for me. Actually, most of my load are pretty close to the published velocities, so I don't even need a giant target to shoot at(9x12 gong for the most part).

I don't use a chrono, from almost everyone I've read they have had troubles with them, and they don't seem to match their true ballistic profile anyway. I just take a guess at the velocity, shoot at some longer ranges. Record the impact and number of clicks, then use gseven ballistic calculator to get my "true" velocity. It has worked so far for me. Actually, most of my load are pretty close to the published velocities, so I don't even need a giant target to shoot at(9x12 gong for the most part).

youtube search "trajectory validation gunwerks" and it provides a pretty good overview of this^^

I have a Chrony and it works pretty good for me. Just pay attention to the conditions when you decide to use it and you'll be fine. I've had some weirdo readings, but that was because I either did it in too much light...or not enough light. But when I was able to take my readings in the ideal conditions, it worked like a dream.

If you have the money, the Oehler, by most accounts, is the best available, but they aren't cheap.
http://oehler-research.com/model35.html

Of the more affordable models, the Pact suggested above and the ProChrono digital get good reviews. That said, one I'm real interested in is the magneto speed! It works using magnets so there should be no problem in all lighting conditions. The very limited reviews I've read of it have been positive. The only downside I've read of is that it's only good for firearms.
http://www.magnetospeed.com/

I've got the ProChrono and it's served me just fine over the last 2-3 years. It can be a little finicky. But for a sub $100 chronograph, I wasn't expecting Oehler quality. It doesn't function below about 34 degrees and it can gove some wild readings if you don't set it up right but for the most part, I'm happy with the purchase

I have a Chrony and it works pretty good for me. Just pay attention to the conditions when you decide to use it and you'll be fine. I've had some weirdo readings, but that was because I either did it in too much light...or not enough light. But when I was able to take my readings in the ideal conditions, it worked like a dream.

Sounds like a woman!:D

I have a Shooting Chrony and can't complain. There's no way in Hell I'd work up drop charts without it. With velocity readings and my Sierra Infinity I can print my info, and in most cases it is within a click or two when I verify in the field. Besides, if you are a handloader, the info a chrony gives is invaluable. mtmuley

I have a Shooting Chrony and can't complain. There's no way in Hell I'd work up drop charts without it. With velocity readings and my Sierra Infinity I can print my info, and in most cases it is within a click or two when I verify in the field. Besides, if you are a handloader, the info a chrony gives is invaluable. mtmuley

Agreed. About half of the loads I worked up before I got my chrony were 200 fps under book velocity. IMO, it is a waste of time to handload without one.

You also can get the actual velocities for the temp you are hunting in. Most loads drop off significantly in colder weather.
My prochrono doesn't work well in midsummer direct sunlight that is the only time I get goofy readings. My solution was to us it under a shade tree in the summer.
If it is too cloudy or dark you just don't get readings.
you can buy light attachments but they are expensive.

I have a Competition Electronics ProChrono. Worked fine until I had muzzle blast blow the pastic cover off the front that tells you what each of the buttons do... Still reads fine. That being said. Its pretty much what I expected from a $100 chronograph. Close enough, but definately not an Oehler. Will probably upgrade to an Oehler or an upper range Shooting Chrony when I get set back up to reaload. Something that has a remote display!!

It has been very handy to shoot ammo at different temps to get an idea of how much velocity the specific loads loose in colder conditions. Based on that Data, I did change powders for my .325WSM. Found that H4350 is almost perfectly temperature stable. Chronoed ammo at 85F and approx 30F. It lost about .4fps/degree. The powder i was using before that lost about 3-3.2fps/degree depending on lot.

I have been using the same chrono since the 80s and it appears to me to have always been pretty accurate. Make sure that you have sunny skies when you use them as they depend on a shadow effect with the screens.

I would not reload without one. Book velocities are sometimes close, but rarely on the money. They are all done under very controlled circumstances. It is real imperative that you use one, if you really want to get the full data on your long-range loads. You can shoot at all the ranges and get the drop figured, but if you do not really understand what is going on with the bullet if you do not know the velocity figures.

Back