Checking cams got real exciting

drahthaar

Today, in a conversation with the landowner of the property where I get most of my wolf pics, we were discussing the possiblity of actually getting tags for wolves and trying to take a couple out of this pack that is camped out on his property. I told him I have never even had a good enough look at one to get a shot. Well, all that changed tonight. I had one more cam to check, the downpour just stopped, there was a few lightning bolts dropping here and there, and it was starting to get dark. I jumped out of the truck, no pistol, no bear spray(I only need to run up the hill about 300 yards), what could possibly happen.
Ground was wet and quiet, that smell of rain hanging in the air, wind in my face, I leave the atv trail to follow a deer trail to the top of the ridge. About 40 yards from the top of the ridge I get a glimpse of movement, instantly, I see it, wolf. Just its back and base of its tail. It is going at a 45 right to me, our paths will meet at the ridgetop. I sneak up another 10 yards, he comes in another 15. I instantly recognize him, the alpha male, I have dozens of pics of him. Turns a couple circles and lays down, 20 yards away from me. Right now, all I can think is holy crap, this thing is huge, you just can't appreciate the size from cam pics. I only watch him for about 15 secs when turns and locks right in on me. I am not really worried, I take a half step out from behind the tree so he can see me full view. That dog erupted!! One quick, very loud huff, teeth bared, and boom, gone running away. I hustle up to the top to see the whole woods come alive, pups, and two big ones running down the hill. Unreal, thinking, I could have popped him, dang!!! What an opportunity. That is the one I really want to tag. 1000 acres, and I finally walked right into them.
I tell you what, I consider myself a half descent dog trainer, I own two large, fairly aggressive dogs, gone many rounds with aggresive dogs, I like sharp dogs, but holy crap, about 2 seconds of having that wolf staring me down and making that gutteral noise, that was enough to get the poo moving in the sigmoid. I know he was more scared and irritated than anything, but it could sure fool a guy into thinking he is coming.

Here are the pics from the one cam. All the other cams had zilch. This was the worst as far as having elk and deer ever. I hope they are all just up high on the mountain. But in years past I have always had many more pics of does and fawns, cows and calves.
This is the alpha male
alphamale.jpg

3pups.jpg

wolfpup-1.jpg

This is what almost all the pics were. Coming and going.
fr8-5-09015.jpg

As always, thanks for the pics, and great story. What do you think the Alpha weighs?

Guessing 115-125. Guessing 30-32 inches at the shoulder. Comparing him to my dog that is 70 lbs and 26 at the shoulders.

Its just one pack that is in the area, 4-6 individuals plus pups now. I have had collared individuals come and go, but the main pack is only 4-6. Not one of these monster packs like they have running around west of Kalispell.

I doubt I will have a "shot" like that come Sept 15.

Last edited:
Great post and amazing pics! I've only seen one Mexican Grey here in AZ. Awsome animal. Thanks.

I forgot to say, he never did leave. I snagged the cam off the tree and booked it back to my truck. He stepped out of the woods about 50 yards up the road, stood in the middle of the road for a few seconds, then trotted across the road. Then came toward the truck and sat off in the timber barking, short, evenly timed huffs, until it was dark.

I hope you bag one of those wolves, i know i sure hope to get the chance down here around hamilton. Though im not happy to pay for the tag and support the wolf program.

Draathtar i was on wondering about your opinion on how soon to check a trailcam. I have the pixcontroller digitaleye set up on a wallow in a hellhole that takes alot of effort to access. Ive had it up for 11 days and can either check it tommorrow or in another week. It is about a 19 mile round trip with 3,000 feet of vertical. It has the lithium batteries installed in the camera. You think 12 days is too soon for a retrieve?

These pics reminded of the wolves I've seen. I had a white one last year during spring turkey come in to about 10yds of me. Unfortunately I had my camera in my pack. It didn't see me until I tried to drop my shotgun and get a picture, but I wasn't fast enough and it disappeared into the trees.

I saw two more while driving at night and then last summer spotted this guy at 200yds one morning in the Frank Church while I was still in my sleeping bag.

wolf2b_219242.jpg

(wolf is dead center)

Then last fall while WT hunting in the Clearwater I came across this. I left it as is and reported it to IDFG, but never got a story on it. Seemed a lot bigger in person.

wolf01.jpg

wolf02.jpg

wolf04.jpg

Maybe Wally, but it was bigger than any fox I've ever seen. Unfortunately that was the best picture I could get.

Hey WTH?... Stubbs is closed. Where is your "plan B" watering hole? :D

Billy Goat, I am sure many wolves have met that fate all over. People have just kind of had enough. Did they go get that collar? You should have held that collar ransom, they are worth a ton of money. They should at leat give you a reward for finding it and turning it in.

I hope you bag one of those wolves, i know i sure hope to get the chance down here around hamilton. Though im not happy to pay for the tag and support the wolf program.

Draathtar i was on wondering about your opinion on how soon to check a trailcam. I have the pixcontroller digitaleye set up on a wallow in a hellhole that takes alot of effort to access. Ive had it up for 11 days and can either check it tommorrow or in another week. It is about a 19 mile round trip with 3,000 feet of vertical. It has the lithium batteries installed in the camera. You think 12 days is too soon for a retrieve?

19 miles? Holy crap dude, I thought I was nuts going 10 round trip just to set a cam. Personally I would leave it another week, I check my backcountry cams 3-4 weeks. You run the risk of something happening and losing out on time and effort, but I don't know how much activity you have there. I run 2gb cards in my s600s, 667 pics. Only had it filled once. you have lithiums, you will be fine on battery power. I run 2 AA eneloop rechargables, awesome batteries. Easy get a month out of them.

Nice pics and stories all.

Billygoat, mind sending me a PM with further details on that dead one you found. I just may be able to get more info for you if you want it.

Great photos, thanks. My only out of the truck wolf story was memorial day weekend at loman ponds last year, he came over the dam from the river, looked at me and wandered off...wasn't all that concerned about a person seeing him, and dang sure didn't run away.

If that don't remind you to carry your pistol at all times, nothing will!!!:eek:

Great pictures, though! Good luck getting a shot at one!

Billy Goat, I am sure many wolves have met that fate all over. People have just kind of had enough. Did they go get that collar? You should have held that collar ransom, they are worth a ton of money. They should at leat give you a reward for finding it and turning it in.
A lady in Elk City told me there was a dead wolf found floating in Dworshak with a "suicide note" tucked into its radio collar. Haha. I tried to follow up with the guy I reported the one I found to, but he never got back to me.

Billygoat, mind sending me a PM with further details on that dead one you found. I just may be able to get more info for you if you want it.
PM sent.

Back