Cheap Southeast Hog Hunt?

Tiredofthebickering

A couple of reasons I'm asking if anyone knows about this.

Several guys in my church are interested in hunting and I'm looking for a relatively cost effective way to show them a good time. When trying to find places to take them near home, many outfits are asking $250+ for a half day, non-guaranteed hunt. I don't care about the non-guaranteed part, but asking guys to throw in $250+ plus travel costs, etc. for a half day (and likely several hour plus drive) is a bit much in my opinion. Anyone know of a place that offers something like a $100/day/person options? Camping on site would be ideal.

Secondarily, I want somewhere to go during the long break between seasons lol. Public land down here is not generally open for hogs year round and I don't feel like trying to justify $250 to my wife several times over the next 6 months lol. Anyone ever heard of a hog only lease in the FL/GA area? Or just anything reasonable to come spending a day hoping to see some pigs?

If none of the above exists, what do any of y'all recommend to scratch the hog hunting itch over the spring/summer?

My answer may be something you have already thought of but I'll shoot anyway...

There has to be some public land around Florida that has plenty of pigs which can provide opportunity of you and your church group. I've seen enough YouTube videos to make me an expert of the pig hunting there lol.
The few states I'm familar with (Florida not being one) you can hunt pigs with an allowed weapon with whatever season is in progress. So you may not be able to rifle hunt but if you're crazy enough to hunt deer in August you can get after pigs as well with a bow. Or if there is an early teal season, crow season, or whatever you can take a rimfire, nontoxic goose shells, or whatever weapon/shot is allowed for that season. Not an ideal way of killing them, but it's a challenge and gets you in the woods.

If Florida doesn't operate this way then maybe consider buying a $100 out of state small game license and hunting elsewhere.

My answer may be something you have already thought of but I'll shoot anyway...

There has to be some public land around Florida that has plenty of pigs which can provide opportunity of you and your church group. I've seen enough YouTube videos to make me an expert of the pig hunting there lol.
The few states I'm familar with (Florida not being one) you can hunt pigs with an allowed weapon with whatever season is in progress. So you may not be able to rifle hunt but if you're crazy enough to hunt deer in August you can get after pigs as well with a bow. Or if there is an early teal season, crow season, or whatever you can take a rimfire, nontoxic goose shells, or whatever weapon/shot is allowed for that season. Not an ideal way of killing them, but it's a challenge and gets you in the woods.

If Florida doesn't operate this way then maybe consider buying a $100 out of state small game license and hunting elsewhere.

As a general rule, FL unfortunately doesn't operate this way. On private you can hunt year round, day or night, any weapon, no restrictions. On public it's generally only open during deer seasons with the same weapon which means it's basically done by this time of year.

I'm definitely not opposed to buying a $100 small license in a neighboring state if that makes sense and means I can chase hogs throughout much more of the year. I just have researched the other states yet before leaning on y'all lol.

Public land down here is not generally open for hogs year round

This is a problem many places. The public land adjacent to where I hunt is closed most of the year creating an untouched source population that keeps all of the neighboring landowners supplied with pigs no matter how many you take out. I would love if it was open longer where I could take people hunting in there after the regular deer season closes.

I bet if you keep looking you can find somewhere that genuinely wants them gone and are not trying to make a buck on them. $250 is pretty steep for a half day on a gamble at a pig. I am thinking there are some places here in North Louisiana that you pay by the pig after it is killed but I am not sure. Good luck, for as abundant as they are it is difficult for people just to come down and hunt them without a connection to someone they know. Where are you located?

This is a problem many places. The public land adjacent to where I hunt is closed most of the year creating an untouched source population that keeps all of the neighboring landowners supplied with pigs no matter how many you take out. I would love if it was open longer where I could take people hunting in there after the regular deer season closes.

I bet if you keep looking you can find somewhere that genuinely wants them gone and are not trying to make a buck on them. $250 is pretty steep for a half day on a gamble at a pig. I am thinking there are some places here in North Louisiana that you pay by the pig after it is killed but I am not sure. Good luck, for as abundant as they are it is difficult for people just to come down and hunt them without a connection to someone they know. Where are you located?

Thanks for the information. I'm in south Florida, near Ft. Lauderdale.

The bolded part above is usually the part that confounds me. I'm not a landowner so I won't speculate, but charging that much to shoot an invasive, nuisance species confuses me.

Not to mention FWC has done a really good job of ridding the public areas of hogs, rather quietly.

As a general rule, FL unfortunately doesn't operate this way. On private you can hunt year round, day or night, any weapon, no restrictions. On public it's generally only open during deer seasons with the same weapon which means it's basically done by this time of year.

I'm definitely not opposed to buying a $100 small license in a neighboring state if that makes sense and means I can chase hogs throughout much more of the year. I just have researched the other states yet before leaning on y'all lol.

Id say look into AL or GA then. From south Florida anywhere OOS is a hike. If you want to make a run next month we have a BHA tri state squirrel in central MS. Never hunted the area but I hear there are a lot of pigs where we going. And MS you can get a 3 day licenses for $ 30ish. Part of the tri state is guys coming from AL that might a good resource.
Florida BHA is pretty active as well. Might be another good resource to ask.

Another issue in Ga public land, is you have to hunt them during an open season. So if you go in the spring it needs to coincide with spring gobbler. Which means you are limited to shotguns and there is also a minimum shit size. In small game seasons there is also a weapons requirement but I think maybe muzzleloaders are ok. Just double check that stuff.

I’d say your main problem is your in south Florida.

Most of the WMAs in north/central Florida have a small game season that runs from the end of deer season to about spring turkey. Hogs are considered small game. You have to use buckshot or a 22LR but you can hunt thousands of acres up here.

Shoot me a PM if you need help picking an area.

Have you checked the panhandle? The muzzleloader season used to run almost til March out there. Long drive but plenty of public land to be had. I haven't lived there for 10 years now so I know things could have changed

Have you checked the panhandle? The muzzleloader season used to run almost til March out there. Long drive but plenty of public land to be had. I haven't lived there for 10 years now so I know things could have changed

It's definitely worth a shot. I haven't explored up there (it's like 8+ hours to get there lol) so I'll need to do research the WMAs up there for a while first. Thanks!

Definately worth doing your homework.
We got burned in a Texas hog hunt. High dollar whitetail ranch that offered pig hunts. Guide was burned out after the deer season ...didnt do squat except throw some corn out. Didnt see one pig and little to no evidence they were any around.
Had a better hunt in California but it wasnt cheap.
And everybody wants the destructive pigs gone.

Anyone have any thoughts for March through August? Some WMAs allow hogs during small game but certainly not all.

I guess I'm hoping someone has a lead on a club or other private property that is open year round and charges a reasonable fee.

Well all the stories we read up here about the hog problem in the south that the land owners welcome anyone who wants to hunt them, is that not true ??

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back