Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Cheap Southeast Hog Hunt?

My brother and I actually considered doing this hunt. If you get several guys involved it gets price down to $250 a pig or so I believe and they are guaranteed. Idk the details other than the chase them on a swamp buggy which sounds like a fun way to introduce your church buddies to hunting. Beats sitting over a corn feeder with a rifle on your lap. The address is Oviedo, FL. Looks to be near Kissimmee.008004A7-C65E-4E9C-A7A9-F0AAD0C6A652.png

Well all the stories we read up here about the hog problem in the south that the land owners welcome anyone who wants to hunt them, is that not true ??

It’s difficult letting a stranger on you place with a high powered rifle. Especially if you run livestock. People are possessive over deer, but I think if you can cross the stranger gap you could open the door to pig hunting out of deer season.

My dad will let just about anyone come hunt our place as long as he knows they have some sense and don’t do something stupid (leave a gate open, drive where you shouldn’t, take a risky shot). Unfortunately still hunting just isn’t a high percentage hunt for us so the few people that have hunted have never seen a pig. I rarely even spend time doing so.

If you’re more interested in meat than hunting then trapping could open more opportunities as long as you don’t make it sound like you’re doing the landowner a favor.

And for what it’s worth if any hunt talkers decide to hunt Louisiana public land for pigs I’ll gladly point you in the right direction. It’s a good hunt but there’s not enough groceries in the woods for all the pigs plus native game.
Just have to send me coordinates of good deer sign you find along the way lol

My brother and I actually considered doing this hunt. If you get several guys involved it gets price down to $250 a pig or so I believe and they are guaranteed. Idk the details other than the chase them on a swamp buggy which sounds like a fun way to introduce your church buddies to hunting. Beats sitting over a corn feeder with a rifle on your lap. The address is Oviedo, FL. Looks to be near Kissimmee.View attachment 126650

Seems like there are a lot of these outfits around. I'm interested, but my biggest hang up is the guaranteed part. It's like when a realtor guarantees that your home will sell in 30 days or less, but they fail to mention that if you turn down an offer for $30K below asking price your guarantee is forfeited. I don't want to pass on a 25lb piglet and be told that I owe $250 for the day anyway because I passed my "guaranteed" option.

I'm not saying that these guys are that way, but many of them that price per day and advertise "guaranteed" sure seem to read that way.

March and April in FWC- DuPuis.

I've looked into there are well. It's open for a week in April and a week in May. Numbers don't look too promising but at least it's getting outside.

Hunt YearAreaHunter DaysMale HogFemale HogTotal Hog
2016-2017John G. & Susan H. Dupuis Jr.
2044​
16​
7​
23​
2017-2018John G. & Susan H. Dupuis Jr.
1724​
10​
9​
19​
2018-2019John G. & Susan H. Dupuis Jr.
2324​
18​
15​
33​
2019-2020John G. & Susan H. Dupuis Jr.
1133​
10​
9​
19​

Sigh, lots of folks are just trying to make some money back to cover the expense of the hog damage, not all. If someone is willing to pay why offer it up for free.
Hog damage has economic consequences, many of the paying places are just trying to recoup those losses due to the damage, some are just out to make money.
Guys that don't know anything about hog hunting just push them to the neighbors while they hunt , then the pigs come back after they leave.
Lots of spots further west of Florida that really want them gone and charge accordingly, no limits and no kill fees on boars.

I only speak from experience on the family place in Texas. They run hog hunts with oi limits or kill fees. Most paying hunters do ok only. We go down every spring with a couple of friends and take quite a few off . One friend wouldn't listen cause he's a seasoned hunter, he spooked hogs and only got one by chance. He hasn't been invited back.
If you want to shoot some hogs for free then pay for a hunt somewhere and take a bunch of sows off the place, chances are they will invite you back for another hunt at a better price. Everyone wants a big boar but the sows should be the main quarry. Many landowners let us hunt because they know we take any hog we see, not just boars and they trust we will not shoot their cattle. They can look like hogs at night in a thermal scope.
Oh, no license needed in Texas to shoot them on private land.

Sigh, lots of folks are just trying to make some money back to cover the expense of the hog damage, not all. If someone is willing to pay why offer it up for free.
Hog damage has economic consequences, many of the paying places are just trying to recoup those losses due to the damage, some are just out to make money.
Guys that don't know anything about hog hunting just push them to the neighbors while they hunt , then the pigs come back after they leave.
Lots of spots further west of Florida that really want them gone and charge accordingly, no limits and no kill fees on boars.

I only speak from experience on the family place in Texas. They run hog hunts with oi limits or kill fees. Most paying hunters do ok only. We go down every spring with a couple of friends and take quite a few off . One friend wouldn't listen cause he's a seasoned hunter, he spooked hogs and only got one by chance. He hasn't been invited back.
If you want to shoot some hogs for free then pay for a hunt somewhere and take a bunch of sows off the place, chances are they will invite you back for another hunt at a better price. Everyone wants a big boar but the sows should be the main quarry. Many landowners let us hunt because they know we take any hog we see, not just boars and they trust we will not shoot their cattle. They can look like hogs at night in a thermal scope.
Oh, no license needed in Texas to shoot them on private land.

That's what I am hoping to find. Like a deer club that's tired of hogs eating up their feed and just want them gone or something. Down here they don't discriminate whether you kill a sow or boar, just usually charge a "trophy fee" if the pig is above a certain weight. Or just price by weight as shown above. I wish Texas was just a little closer . . .

Places are out there in Florida I'm betting. Lots of folks are into the put and take hog hunts now for the money.
I would look for a time well after the deer season for reasons stated above, deer guides or outfitters will be tired of hunters the next few weeks, hit 'em up in about March or late February.
Hog hunts are big business so maybe look on some other forums for hunt reccs. Is there a Florida hunting forum somewhere ?
Over on some Texas Hunting forums you can find reasonable hunts, and some put and take places, betting a Florida forum would have the same.
Could be that your hog problem isn't big enough yet to get folks to lower that price. Don't know that for sure though.
The fee per weight is not as common in Texas, but is out there.
Places with a big hog problem usually do not limit your take or the size, exceptions I'm sure.

Hope you find someplace, hogs are really fun and challenging to hunt, the meat is awesome as well.

Lots of WMAs in the southeast that have hog problems have special hog seasons this time of year.

Alabama for example, a lot of 2 week seasons in March. You can use a rifle. You buy a 3-day license ~ $45, a WMA permit ~ $15, you're good to go.

Of course there is no guarantee. These are wild animals, no fences, no swamp buggies.

I've gone 4 times and killed 3 hogs. Worked way harder for those 3 hogs than I have for any of my western game.

Camp in a primitive campground, hunt hard, eat good food.

You couldn't give me one of those guided hunts for free.

Lots of WMAs in the southeast that have hog problems have special hog seasons this time of year.

Alabama for example, a lot of 2 week seasons in March. You can use a rifle. You buy a 3-day license ~ $45, a WMA permit ~ $15, you're good to go.

Of course there is no guarantee. These are wild animals, no fences, no swamp buggies.

I've gone 4 times and killed 3 hogs. Worked way harder for those 3 hogs than I have for any of my western game.

Camp in a primitive campground, hunt hard, eat good food.

You couldn't give me one of those guided hunts for free.

There you go , sounds like a hunt.

Reactions: LCH
Check out Ft Stewart, there will be some hoops to jump thru but you can hunt there almost year round depending on the training schedule.
There are some WMAs west of Brunswick as well. Horse Stamp Creek, Altamaha are a couple to investigate.
If there is private land with pigs, there are people hunting it already. I can guarantee you that a landowner in GA, SC, NC , AL, MS isn’t going to let a car load of guys they don’t know, just show up and hunt. Those days are long gone, society has changed. I’m not sure they ever really existed.
There are some decent hunts right in your back yard around Okeechobee, but it’s pay to play.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back