Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Cecil the Lion

A few thoughts on topic:
I know this event is not representative of most African hunts, which happen without publicity. My friends who have done them say it is awesome, but you probably have to participate to really understand. We have the same problem in the US when we have elk firing lines or someone gets ahold of a picture of a bloody trapped wolf, or trophy hunting in general. We just have to be careful how we present ourselves.

That wildlife watching generates more revenue is a red herring. The question is whether hunting generates additional revenue on top of wildlife viewing. I suspect that is the case since the hunting takes place out of the park so it usually doesn't affect the viewing opportunities. If the hunting funds a good thing then its revenue generation is a valid consideration.

Curious as to what you guys think about this one:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ions-killer-revealed-as-American-dentist.html

There is clearly a shitload of bias in this article that I'm really not into, but here's my quandary: Why hunt big game in Africa where the spotlight is going to be big, the general public reaction is going to be piss-poor, and it seems to demean the type of ethical, game-management-focused hunting that the majority of American hunters participate in?

This case seems particularly disturbing, even when I try to account for the things I know about hunting.

I'm not trying to upset anyone. I'm just curious what the argument is. Some of you guys have hunted in Africa, I have friends who have done it. What's the right way to do it? Is it really necessary? Is it inherently a thrill kill b/c it's exotic? Does it undermine the North American hunting community?

I'm looking for answers on ethics, not the tourist dollars argument. The sub-saharan community makes far more $$ from wildlife watching than it will ever make from hunting, negating that argument before it even begins.

Questions for my favorite thoughtful community.

I learned two things:
Greenhorn has flower beds
What "gtfo" means.

I love Gore's internet.

Google on "Cecil the lion" returns 28,700,000 results.

Rodney King and OJ Simpson don't even compare to Cecil.

I never would have known had it not been for a woman passing me her iPhone saying, "Oh no, they killed Cecil."

I think that lion will make a great mount. As long as it was legal I have no problem. Kind of like shooting legal elk outside a game range or Yellowstone IMHO. Peace!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back