Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Caution Warning: Racism #huntingwhileblack

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're kidding right...the Donald could save a baby from he ocean and headlines would read, "Trump Starves Sharks."
I think you need to reread my post. Key word is "end". I am fully aware that we have had one party that constantly puts people in groups in order to cause division.

I think you need to reread my post. Key word is "end". I am fully aware that we have had one party that constantly puts people in groups in order to cause division.
...and you need to comprehend that I'm agreeing with you via rhetorical device.

Even odder are the local GOP folks here in MN that are signalling QAnon allegiances on their facebook pages - We are living in very weird times and I am a man without a party :(
I believe the two party system is failing the vast majority of Americans. At this point they have both become bloated and entrenched self/familial enrichment mechanisms. The most important thing to both is just that it all keeps going. With all of the tech and multimedia now it is just impossible to hide the corruption. Somehow they are still able to keep the charade going promising to fight the "opposition" party, effectively shaming enough voters from supporting any type of third party candidate or else throwing the election to the other more evil side. People need to take the power back from the party affiliated politicians. Trump does seem to be hated by all in DC which should say something.

You're kidding right...the Donald could save a baby from he ocean and headlines would read, "Trump Starves Sharks."

and even this is not new. In the 1980's the joke was: Reagan and the Pope met in New York and the Pope's Zucchetto blew off into the water. Reagan walked on the water out to get it and brought it back to him. The New York Times headline the next day was: Reagan can't swim !

Anyone ever notice how people who want to push back against or ignore systemic racism always get hung up on blame and guilt?

Sure, some (a small minority) want to assign blame, but don't let yourself get hung up on that. Most folks who recognize systemic racism would be happy if folks would just acknowledge it and learn to identify it so that hopefully we can get rid of it to the degree that we can.

Of course every individual needs to do their share in making life work for them. Some individuals just have an extra obstacle to deal with. Like I tied your boots together and put 20 lbs of rocks in your pack at the start of a long hike. Sure, if you're super fit then you'll probably catch up anyway. But if all other things are equal, then you'll probably remain behind, through no fault of your own.

One of the biggest issues I see in what some of us call "systemic racism" is the generational wealth issue. The fact that so many people of color were not allowed to own property for so long, or get home loans, or have to pay much higher interest rates, etc. That is a massive burden on an entire group of people that whites simply didn't have to carry. It's not my fault or your fault, but it happened for generations and it directly affects many people's opportunities in this country. Maybe they can't afford to live in safe neighborhoods. Maybe they can't buy enough healthy food. Maybe they can't afford to send their kid to a private school, or home school. Maybe they can't afford a decent college or a four year degree. And you can trace a lot of that back to a lack of generational wealth due to them being denied access to property ownership and lower interest loans.

And that's just one impact. It says nothing about the emotional burden people of color have to carry in this country when so often they look around and see the vast difference in standard of living between people of color and whites.

Things are getting better. Spare me the examples. But can you honestly say everyone is now fully equal and that the laws and policies of the past had no effect on generations of people of color? Really?

I grew up extremely poor, and lived among other extremely poor people. Every day at the end of the bus ride to school, I was reminded how many kids didn't have to deal with poverty or the daily stress and anxiety that goes with it. And yet, I still didn't have to deal with racism.
What you refer to here can truly be due to racism, and as one if those "some people" you referred to, I have not denied that ever. I really don't disagree with what you wrote and obviously no one thinks everyone is born on the same footing. That's just a straw man. That's literally impossible and always will be because everyone is impacted by the decisions of those who have gone before them and unless you want some tyrannical agency to balance all your parents inheritance equally between everyone every time a parent dies, it will always be that way.

I do like someone finally admitting that it's better now than it ever has been, that's a refreshing breath of reality. Which naturally leads to the possibility that what we see is not "systemic" as in, built into the system, but rather the ripple affects of it. Which to any honest person is obviously the case. So then the question becomes not "how do we rid our current system of racism" but instead "how do we address the racial inequality of the past?" It's a different question with different solutions.

Society's myopic approach to this issue is why there aren't solutions, why cities supposedly run by the people that care the most about this issue are dumps full of the widest wealth gaps, highest homeless populations, smallest middle class and massive institutional corruption. Because it seems like the important thing to people is virtue signaling solidarity above actual solutions.

We won't ever solve it because there is too much money in racial division. So my point stands. I have every right to be angry about posturing designed to insinuate or imply I'm a racist. I actually take a charge like that seriously. And coffee shop Karen not sufficiently guilt-ridden enough about the sins of some else's great grandfather isn't the obstacle. But the powers that be sure want you to think so.

Last edited:
I know it isn't a huffpost or cnn article, but some good reading nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back