MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Cattlemen debating public lands

Kids work in orchards around here until they graduate and don't have to. Then they don't. It's that simple.

I recognize that it's not really public land transfer related, but kids going into ag just ain't a thing around here.

Obviously I can’t speak to around there, but being in “ag”, I have frequent interactions with the kids coming out of places like Texas A&M, and Colorado State, and they are bright motivated kids, so I can assure you that it is still a thing in a lot of places.

What's the difference in the end? You can't go into orchards, they're almost entirely deer fenced, and they spray enough chemicals to create a very sterile "environment" almost complete devoid of wildlife. I've argued that a suburban backyard is better for wildlife than an orchard. There at least there's the occasional bird nest or bees nest, a deer could walk through and nibble the roses.
Plenty of good bird hunting around those orchards. Same with waterfowl.

I know I should be able to calmly read a thread like that in order to better understand the opposing viewpoints argument... Unfortunately I about had an aneurism 5 posts in and had to close it. Maybe I'll give it another go next week.

I got a kick out of the idiot who said that the Government should be paying him instead of him paying grazing fees because he's such a stellar steward of the land. Gimmie a break. Must be from Wyoming.

It's funny to read it. In my area your about $150k-200k for raw ground. When "transfer" happens, all that land ain't going to be sitting in the green belt. I know a lot of ranchers. They are millionaires on paper, broke in cash. I know a lot of hay growers who are millionaires in cash. Hay sold to Saudi, and China brings in a lot more than grazing fees for cows.

And oil pays better than both.

Tabby mtn in Utah got bid over $40 million. By more than one bidder. That's a ton of grazing fees to challenge that.

Yeah, the BLM is a pain in the arse. Ask Randy how a CPA for a multinational is. Ranching would end in the West.

As one of the posters in that thread and a long history of looking at that site. Mark is a moron, the guy has a LONG history of being on the wrong side of a ton of topics. Problem is that there are more like him that agree with him, although I don't think those numbers are high.

Back