Cattle & Elk

smarandr

I'm in my sophomore year of both bow and elk hunting, so I'm still trying to figure a lot of stuff out, but one thing that really has me wondering is whether cattle and elk can share the same space?

Up until about three weeks ago I was seeing lots of elk in our hunting area. Then sometime within the last three weeks the cattle were let in, and we didn't see a single elk the whole four day hunting trip. My experience is that cattle and deer seem to share space pretty well, which still holds true for this trip as we saw lots of deer. However, I can't help but think the cattle have pushed out all the elk. What do you guys think?

They do share the same space. and according to what I saw the other day mature bulls and burros share the same space....

The problem could be that to get the cattle in there the ranch hands had to push them in there, on horsback, or other means.. That clears elk out for a period IMO.

Rule number one, IMHO... if you do not see elk in your spot get to another spot , and another, and another till you do. Hopefully you'll have more elk days in the field this year. 4 days is a short elk bowhunt.

There's two places I hunt that are great right before the cattle come in, and then they completely clear out once the cattle moves in.

The deer stick around, but the elk are long gone.

Elk in Montana (where I hunt) will not hang with cattle a lot. If the cattle aren't in a bunch then you'll find more elk mixed in. They know that the can cross a pasture to get to better feed they will also mingle with the cattle. That's my experience. I suppose all areas can be different.

When it suits their fancy they hang together but just a slight temperature change and the elk move out as they are much more mobile than cattle for the most part. They are smart though and will take flight if the wrong pickup drives nearby while a cattleman driving his truck will scarecly get a nod from them unless he stops or moves in an unusual manner. Season, temperature, and more dictate where the elk hang their hats at any given time, more so than roads, cattle, etc has been my experience!

there is a sad looking calf bull with nubbins on his head just outside Maybell, CO. Seen him EVERY trip up to scout and hunt since June. Hanging in the crappiest (literally), browned out (since July but not in this pic) pasture with a bunch of Angus like he is in the family. Guessing his momma got hit on the road or otherwise died and he imprinted on these cattle.

And darn it he's just outside my 15 preference point unit so I can't hunt him.:p

Attachments

• CalfWithCattle.jpg
    CalfWithCattle.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 376
Last edited:
The darker ones below are Cattle the lighter ones are elk. It ain't the cows but the people around the cows that send the elk packing.

ore06006.jpg

I have to agree with 2rocky, where I hunt there are a lot of cattle unit wide. The only time I see less elk with cattle are in the areas that there is more human presence. In the back of my tiny mind I almost think that the elk feel safer around the cattle. Most of the time there are calves, and they are easier targets for the lions. Kinda like the saying that you dont have to be the fastest runner in the bunch, but danged sure not the slowest as he will be lunch.

I think a big part of it is whether or not they're competing for feed.
It's pretty obvious in your picture 2rocky that the cattle are in a separate pasture than where the elk are feeding.

For some reason the cattle freak out when they see me in camo but if I have my old blue jeans on and a farmer hat (you know the kind that has the foam front and netted top) they don't seem to mind.:D

IB, I think I know what video you posted, but the link isn't working. I looked for it yesterday when this thread came up.

Elk Stories.

I think a big part of it is whether or not they're competing for feed.
It's pretty obvious in your picture 2rocky that the cattle are in a separate pasture than where the elk are feeding.

The elk would enter and exit the hayfield through the cattle pasture. I took this picture from public land on a DIY hunt and killed my first archery bull on this trip as he travelled to his bedding area.

I also have video of tule elk in the eastern Sierras feeding in a sub irrigated pasture in the middle of a herd of cattle. Sometimes the cows chased elk, sometimes elk chased cows. It was pretty comical. About an hour after daylight the elk would wander 3 miles out to a water hole to noon up, while the cows just shaded up at the closest patch of willows. The elk were back an hour before dark.

There was a bull Roosevelt elk in Humbolt Co in Northern CA that claimed a bunch of Jersey heifers for his harem. The dairyman had to wait til after the rut to move the heifers because the bull would run him off.

In Shasta County a ranch I worked on wintered cattle in the oak grassland near Palo Cedro and there was a resident herd of elk there as well. More than once gathering in the fog there would be an elk in the cows. Ever had a strong head dog try to stop a cow elk? It doesn't work too well.

The attached picture is of a young bull in our remuda in North Idaho. There were about 15 horses out grazing in a roadless area. I walked up on this bull with my pocket 35 mm camera by using a horse as cover (a-la Jeremiah Johnson) and snapped a picture

Attachments

• jcm.jpg
    jcm.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 271
That's the one. One of those bulls should look mighty familiar to everyone.

It worked! Holly cow is right, You should of blunted them cow's out of the way so we could watch the show!!!! Great good bruce. That one was a hog!

Huh, that's different.

I've never seen them around cattle here, but maybe I haven't looked enough.

Edit: Is that Buzz's bull?

there is a sad looking calf bull with nubbins on his head just outside Maybell, CO. Seen him EVERY trip up to scout and hunt since June. Hanging in the crappiest (literally), browned out (since July but not in this pic) pasture with a bunch of Angus like he is in the family. Guessing his momma got hit on the road or otherwise died and he imprinted on these cattle.

And darn it he's just outside my 15 preference point unit so I can't hunt him.:p

Khunter, if you're going as far as Maybell, you must be hunting up on the plateau between the Little Snake and the Vermillion. I remember the name of the plateau but not how to spell it. I've hunted goats, mulies and elk up there in the corner around Irish Canyon, but many years ago. Lots of great memories of that area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back