Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Cats Aren't Trophies

Looks like they are making a run at a new initiative (#101) that will not ban cat hunting, but will:
  • Reduce the season to 2 weeks long
  • Ban the use of dogs
  • Require that all "trophy" parts of the harvested animals be surrendered
Beat me to it, looks like both 101 and 91 are still on the table at moment.

Ban the use of dogs == banning lion hunting.
Would this also ban non-lethal running with dogs? Like hazing? I've been telling all my non-hunting friends that unless they want more cats killing pets and possibly even attacking people, that this is bad news. I also throw out that California banned lion hunting, but still has to kill a bunch of mountain lions every year.

There is a newly filed anti-cat hunting initiative. This initiative has some slight changes from initiative 91. It does allow (but not mandate) a lion season from Dec. 18-31 but all body parts other than the meat must be turned in to the CPW. It has been submitted to legislative council but no action taken so far so it is a way off from the title board. The draft is attached.

The supposition is that we may see even more such initiatives until the proponents get one through the process that they think has a 'trophy' hunting ban and will sell with the general public.

Attachments

• Mountain_lion_initiative_11_23.pdf
    230.8 KB · Views: 11
There is a newly filed anti-cat hunting initiative. This initiative has some slight changes from initiative 91. It does allow (but not mandate) a lion season from Dec. 18-31 but all body parts other than the meat must be turned in to the CPW. It has been submitted to legislative council but no action taken so far so it is a way off from the title board. The draft is attached.

The supposition is that we may see even more such initiatives until the proponents get one through the process that they think has a 'trophy' hunting ban and will sell with the general public.
Given the current make up of CO, this one has legs.

This is why my wife and I have formed an exit plan from CO immediately after retirement.
Things like this will follow you . . . CO today, MT (and others) tomorrow — folks streaming out of CA & NY may not like the culture, taxes or regulations of the states they are fleeing, but they aren’t hunters and tend to make little mini-californias wherever they go.

Things like this will follow you . . . CO today, MT (and others) tomorrow — folks streaming out of CA & NY may not like the culture, taxes or regulations of the states they are fleeing, but they aren’t hunters and tend to make little mini-californias wherever they go.
this... everyone keeps leaving and the change only happens sooner.

this... everyone keeps leaving and the change only happens sooner.
Exactly. The old guard is fleeing for free states at a rapid pace. I literally knew everyone in my town when I was young. Now I know maybe 10% and the rest I don’t care to know. I should mention my family has been there since before it was a town as well.

I didn't see this linked previously, but this was a very good interview IMO.

I've had a few discussions with Dan in previous sportsmans roundtable meetings, his dedication is underrated in my mind.
Great interview. Dan is on the front lines with the fight to preserve hunting and defend the NAM in Colorado. We are lucky to have him. I encourage everyone (resident or non-resident) who cares about the future of hunting in Colorado to donate to the org he leads- Coloradans for Responsible Wildlife Management.

If you look up the Cats aren't trophies group on Facebook, they are doing a webinar on Jan 30th for those interested. Be careful about making any comments on their FB page, they blocked me in nothing flat.
Interestingly, they have brought in disgraced former HSUS CEO Wayne Pacelle to assist. If you recall he resigned over sexual harassment accusations from multiple people, and so did a bunch of their board members in protest because the board voted to keep him.

They sure are throwing out "trophy hunting" every chance they get, and firing up anti-hunting lunatics from out of state to donate funds.

Now is a good time to donate to www.savethehuntcolorado.com if you value your privilege to hunt.

If anyone attends the webinar, please let me know what kind of misinformation and emotional garbage they are pushing to the uniformed public. Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

The left will eliminate hunting in Colorado within the next 10 years. Enjoy it while you can.
They might, but not if the Colorado hunters take a stand, put the shoulder to the wheel, and fight. We already learned with the wolf thing what happens when hunters don't show up. Now, those of us who don't live in Colorado will comment, share our perspectives, provide monetary support and whatever else, but ultimately, Colorado residents are the only ones who have the power to show up, vote, and kill this thing. Don't get discouraged, don't give up, put the big boy pants on and get the job done. If the lefties succeed with this it won't stop in Colorado, other states with liberal governments will try it too. I truly don't believe we're doomed to lose, but it's going to take hard work and commitment

They might, but not if the Colorado hunters take a stand, put the shoulder to the wheel, and fight. We already learned with the wolf thing what happens when hunters don't show up. Now, those of us who don't live in Colorado will comment, share our perspectives, provide monetary support and whatever else, but ultimately, Colorado residents are the only ones who have the power to show up, vote, and kill this thing. Don't get discouraged, don't give up, put the big boy pants on and get the job done. If the lefties succeed with this it won't stop in Colorado, other states with liberal governments will try it too. I truly don't believe we're doomed to lose, but it's going to take hard work and commitment
I completely agree with your sentiment that Colorado hunters need to get active and they can beat this initiative to protect the future of hunting in Colorado. We can definitely use support from other hunters nationwide also. However, I would discourage you from using the left vs. right language. That is a losing strategy, this issue is non-partisan. Majority of Coloradans support hunting and science-based management, that includes individuals from across the political spectrum. We just need to get the information and our message out to the masses, devoid of any political bias.

Last edited:
They'll learn when the population starts becoming erratic and large cats start taking their small dogs....

I completely agree with your sentiment that Colorado hunters need to be get active and they can beat this initiative to protect the future of hunting Colorado. We can definitely use support from other hunters nationwide also. However, I would discourage you from using the left vs. right language. That is a losing strategy, this issue is non-partisan. Majority of Coloradans support hunting and science-based management, that includes individuals from across the political spectrum. We just need to get the information and our message out to the masses, devoid of any political bias.
Fair point, substitute "lefties" for "anti hunting activists"

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back