PEAX Equipment

Catch All Fishing Thread

A couple weeks ago on the Kenai. I had to see it in person. Can't believe people travel thousands of miles to do this.

View attachment 282532
And yet... There you were ,1000s of miles from home elbow to elbow. hahaha.

We avoid that place when the sun is up and Friday-Sunday. Lotsa fairweather fishermen, most go home without much to show for it, too. On other "popular" rivers later in the summer I'll be the only one fishing in the mornings, quite often. I'm done and headed back to the truck by the time most people just show up. I love fishing silvers in the fall. If you show up at 6am you might as well have stayed home. Kind of like elk hunting and missing the first 30 min of daylight.

Fish 1 to 5am after the Father's day rush at the Russian and there will be a dozen people in that picture, if that. You are not going to find solitude fishing AK off the road unless you outsmart your competition. The Russian is a crazy place, and not for everyone. Same with owning a cat.

Last edited:
My son caught his first brown trout yesterday. Caught on a salmon fly on the Madison. It was super crowded. Lots of other boats and a ton of people wade fishing wherever there was access.
I'm kind of convinced that there's been some secret promotion over the last few years where a person receives a free fishing raft with the purchase of a MT fishing license.

I always encourage people who ask to go out to Bristol Bay instead of fishing off the road system. By the time you rent a car in ANC, drive down the Kenai, find a place to stay, perhaps a day or two chartered, all the other costs figured in your getting close to fishing in Bristol Bay, and you won’t see many people. Pretty common the only folks close enough to pay attention to are those from you group. Boats will go by but they will leave you alone most of the time.

Attachments

• IMG_5551.jpeg
    IMG_5551.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_5324.jpeg
    IMG_5324.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5226.jpeg
    IMG_5226.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3662.jpeg
    IMG_3662.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 33
Odds are even higher that I will never be fishing in a place like that.
It's a fun experience, people of ALL kinds, bears showing up to catch or steal fish. A $hit ton of action. That picture is right off the Highway.

I always encourage people who ask to go out to Bristol Bay instead of fishing off the road system. By the time you rent a car in ANC, drive down the Kenai, find a place to stay, perhaps a day or two chartered, all the other costs figured in your getting close to fishing in Bristol Bay, and you won’t see many people. Pretty common the only folks close enough to pay attention to are those from you group. Boats will go by but they will leave you alone most of the time.
I'll second this! I worked several years from lake Clark, Iliamna, south through mid Aleutians. Visiting all villages in between. Carried fly and spin rods all summer. Some truly great folks live out there!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back