Catch All Fishing Thread

Beignet

How’s the fishing been for everyone this summer? The catching?

Giant shark in a john boat was pretty epic. What’s everyone else got going on? Any fun hatches or truly epic days on the water yet?

Water here seems to be coming down well and clarity is increasing by the day.

I personally had some good dry fly catching on a local-ish “blue ribbon” stream yesterday. Neglected to remember it was the last weekend boating is allowed on that crick, so I split when the rubber hatch started. Managed to catch a fun PMD hatch on a different meandering meadow stream nearby later in the afternoon.

Debating going down to the wade section of the Madison this weekend for the Salmonfly melee. Never been for that particular hatch, but guessing it’s a real chitshow. Might venture into some Bob country to catch native fish and find some solitude instead.

After work today I plan to hit a tiny creek in town and bonk as many brown trout as possible to make room for the cutthroats that they’ve displaced.

Debating going down to the wade section of the Madison this weekend for the Salmonfly melee. Never been for that particular hatch, but guessing it’s a real chitshow. Might venture into some Bob country to catch native fish and find some solitude instead.
I’ve never fished the big bug hatch on the Madison, but have fished it a ton on the Deschutes. 15 years ago you could go on a weekday and there wouldn’t be too much pressure, and the fishing was often spectacular. Big hammering big flies like idiots. But over the past 10 years it’s become all-out combat fishing, with guys popping out from the tall grass and alders along every inch of the river like the Viet Cong ready to attack—every single day of the hatch. It became not even fun. Now I’d much rather fling a Parachute Adams to dinks in some high mountain creek all by myself than contend with all those other people.

As for this summer, any fishing I do will likely be with my kids, trying to get them on fish. Have a few trips planned to a few different lakes—it’ll be fun.

I’ve never fished the big bug hatch on the Madison, but have fished it a ton on the Deschutes. 15 years ago you could go on a weekday and there wouldn’t be too much pressure, and the fishing was often spectacular. Big hammering big flies like idiots. But over the past 10 years it’s become all-out combat fishing, with guys popping out from the tall grass and alders along every inch of the river like the Viet Cong ready to attack—every single day of the hatch. It became not even fun. Now I’d much rather fling a Parachute Adams to dinks in some high mountain creek all by myself than contend with all those other people.

As for this summer, any fishing I do will likely be with my kids, trying to get them on fish. Have a few trips planned to a few different lakes—it’ll be fun.
I'm going to need all Wallowa honey holes. It's for the kids.

with guys popping out from the tall grass and alders along every inch of the river like the Viet Cong ready to attack
This was Rock Creek yesterday, but imagine if the Viet Cong also had a large navy. And, the big bug hatch has done been done for a few now.

Still waiting for the first good day of fly fishing. I've been out a few times and it's been the same story: decent hatch of bugs, very few fish rising. Really looking forward to getting out on a little creek in the mountains. Soon!

Been good down in Texas. Lots of rain so the lakes have been catching water. Been catching Striper and Hybrid Bass.

I’ve just been taking the kayak over to the fishing pond at the local park, catching hatchery trout on powerbait.

It’s nothing fancy, and I’m not hooking any monsters, but it’s a bit of fun and they’re pretty good eating.

How’s the fishing been for everyone this summer? The catching?

Giant shark in a john boat was pretty epic. What’s everyone else got going on? Any fun hatches or truly epic days on the water yet?
Killing the Walleye this year and really the last 4 or 5 years on Erie.

I need to diversify my target species a bit. Walleye are some of the best eating freshwater fish to my pallet, and those northerns just look like plain old fun to catch.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyRichard
Back