Caribou Gear

Cat fish are wide open

Are the crickets out in force still or did I miss the hatch completely?

On the littler ones like that, you can filet and then float the blade instead of cutting towards the skin and you won't have to trim much afterwards.

We're well past the shad run here but some of the most fun I've ever had is crappie fishing all night and having 5-10 lb blue cats rolling through and fighting them on a crappie pole.

On the littler ones like that, you can filet and then float the blade instead of cutting towards the skin and you won't have to trim much afterwards.

We're well past the shad run here but some of the most fun I've ever had is crappie fishing all night and having 5-10 lb blue cats rolling through and fighting them on a crappie pole.
I've tried floating the blade but haven't mastered it yet. I'd like to see Bubba come out with a guide for their electric knife like Lem has on their silverskin knife.
Cats are fun on the light stuff but they can sure stretch and ruin a good line.

Dam wish I could go over there. I went to the John Day at Clarno yesterday evening and rive has gone down a lot, maybe 2' high still. Current has slowed a lot also but nothing hitting yet. Boy do I miss them and they are the only channels I know of within a very long drive. Probably in the Columbia but that 70mi and haven't tried it for channels yet. Just got the motor on the boat fixed and if gas wasn't so high I'd got to Haystack looking for bull heads! But it's still about 50mi.

Beautiful catch of cats there!

I've tried floating the blade but haven't mastered it yet. I'd like to see Bubba come out with a guide for their electric knife like Lem has on their silverskin knife.
I second the Bubba blade guide. I’ve tried several different things but filleting catfish and doing it properly is definitely a skill that takes time.
I just made up about 5lbs of garlic strawberry chicken and we are heading to the Tn river tomorrow hopefully to load up a cooler full of those eaters!

On a crappy pole? I use UL rods and reels for crappie and 2# line when I can find it otherwise 4# line. 5-10 pound blues would tear me a new one!

Well had to go to town for chicken feed the other day and drug along the boat to go out to Haystack Res. Figured I'd try some shrimp there for some bullhead. Found out shrimp does work there on bullheads so gonna try it on channels down the John Day next trip. Had a can of sardines in oil here and poured the oil over the shrimp and some on some chicken breast. Guy's say use a little oil on the bait and I figured fish oil might be best.

Anyway got to Haystack and started fishing. Got several little bullheads on the shrimp and for wharever reason a small mouth about 2#!

On a crappy pole? I use UL rods and reels for crappie and 2# line when I can find it otherwise 4# line. 5-10 pound blues would tear me a new one!
Yeah the long fiberglass ones with no reel. Believe me when I say its about the most fun I've had fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back