Case Lube

Bigjav

I’ve had a couple of Hornady cases hang up in my RCBS resizing die for a 26 Nosler. The rim case has folded over on itself and pulled out of the shell holder and I’ve had to use the shell extractor to get them out of the die and ruined the case. I don’t think it’s the sizing die but I thought I’d try switching lube before I panic. I’m currently using the Hornady one shot aerosol lube...any suggestions

Tumble your brass and when thats done Steel wool your cases for a second to make sure you have no burs or crap on your case and then wipe them with a rag.

Then use Readings Imperial sizing wax. You problems should end.

I had the same results with the one shot spray. I went back to RCBS and never had one stick again. Never an issue in many years with RCBS before I tried one shot spray. Are you cleaning and lubing the inside of the neck with a case brush as well? I hope you get it figured out...

I spray the one shot pretty liberally on the cases and from at least two sides and make sure the inside gets some as well while the cases are standing in the RCBS case holder. I’ve never had and issues with any other cases or cartridges until this one with the Hornady brass. I’ll try the imperial wax and hopefully it solves the problem... that way I don’t have to pay for a background check every time I buy ammo🤦🏻‍♂️

I would never use anything that you have to spray. Sounds like a messy PITA to me.
No doubt imperial is a great product, but I find One Shot much quicker and no mess. I have only been doing for a year or so but haven’t had a stuck case yet YMMV. I do notice that if I wait 2-3 min after spraying it lubes a little better.

+1 for One Shot. I hose my casings down pretty good and give them a few minutes to dry. Its very quick and simple in my experience. Spray at a 45 degree angle so it gets inside the case mouth.
+2. spray it at 45 degrees from 4 angles while in a reloading block. Then let sit for a few minutes while setting up other equipment.

I’ve never had a case stick using lubes other than Imperial Die Wax when simply resizing brass from a decent chamber. When forming one case from another on the other hand, Imperial has been the only one that stood up to the task every time. I think that shows that while others may be good enough for many applications, Imperial is superior. If you’re having problems, I would look there first. Using Imperial, the only case I ever stuck was one that I forgot to lube due to being distracted.

I’ve never had a case stick using lubes other than Imperial Die Wax when simply resizing brass from a decent chamber. When forming one case from another on the other hand, Imperial has been the only one that stood up to the task every time. I think that shows that while others may be good enough for many applications, Imperial is superior. If you’re having problems, I would look there first. Using Imperial, the only case I ever stuck was one that I forgot to lube due to being distracted.

If someone has never had a problem with a lube other than Imperial, what makes Imperial superior?

I put about 100 pieces or so into a 1 gallon ziplock bag and then spray liberally with a home brew of lanolin and alcohol. Seal the bag and roll the pieces around for a bit. dump into a pan or just leave the bag open for a few minutes for the alcohol to flash off. Works better and is cheaper then "one stuck". I use it all the time when I am cranking out rounds on the progressive. For stuff going through the single stage, I use imperial die wax.

For those interested, I use a ratio of 12 parts 99% rubbing alcohol to 1 part lanolin oil. Add to a spray bottle and just shake a little before use. You will need to wipe off the lanolin when done.

I’m also in the Imperial sizing wax camp. Used RCBS, Lee foaming crap, and another brand that escapes me right now, but I’ve learned to love the Imperial. Does everything I need it for when cranking out rifle rounds on my Co-Ax.

Back