Canister stoves at high elevation.

dustinf

I'm trying to shave a few ounces out of my kit. Normally, I cold camp, but the stove I have is a Brunton multi-fuel expedition stove. I've never had a problem, and works great with white gas or denatured alcohol. I've cooked above 10,000ft with it a few times with no problem.

The MSR and Jetboil canister stoves are way lighter, but I've read that they don't burn efficiently at high elevations, 8-10,000 ft.

Is it hype or not, anyone have any first hand experience?

I bought a jetboil zip(no igniter have to use a match),but I've seen a few videos of people using it up in the mountains at high altitude with no issues at all. Saw one video doing a comparison of the msr pocketrock and a jetboil SOL I think it was and both worked fine, this was with no windscreen or anything, the jetboil was faster at boiling and I've read that it's more efficient in fuel than some of the msr ones. But both did the job.

Jetboil has been fine all the way to 12,000' and much more efficient than other stoves I have used.

My Soto Micro Regulator has been awesome at high altitude as well as cold weather, its definitely worth a look for how small and light it is at 2.6 oz. No complaints for 2 years.

can

I think it's more important for the cans to remain above freezing than altitude-keep them in bottom of sleepbag with water filter.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back