Cancellations

EJDXT20

Anyone else experiencing large events being cancelled? My company's commercial meeting got cancelled, now our first trade show of the year got cancelled, all due to spikes in COVID cases. I hope this is not a glimpse of the year to come. I hope things get better soon.

I hope so too! I am planning on a DIY AK black bear hunt end of May through first week of June. Haven't spent a dime on it yet but need to start getting serious or scraping it for this year.

I see the big electronics convention in Vegas went ahead as usual. What better place to roll the dice with one's health. I wonder if SHOT Show will be canceled? I was hoping to make it to a regional SCI get together but it seems unlikely now.

SHOT Show is still happening- though, I know several companies that have pulled out. SHOT is worried and has thus been marketing HARD based on the companies that are in. There will be a massive crowd.
OR is happening, but most of the A-Level companies have exited.

Had a couple concerts postponed a COUPLE of times EACH. Next one up is Reba in March. Not sure if it will happen or not. Daughter and I went to one several months ago and we had to show our vax cards to get in.

Headed to Reno for sheep show tomorrow. Going to the Montana WSF banquet next month, then straight from there to Costa Rica for a week. Now that’s some super spreadin’.
I traveled extensively last year but took every precaution. Fortunately most airports were not very crowded. Tumbleweeds could have been blowing through Zurich airport. Good thing too because at the last minute the airlines rerouted me and I had a fourteen hour layover there. Of course I was vaxed up and tested negative I don't know how many times. The loading gate for return to Toronto out of Frankfurt was a crowded mess. I stood back down the hall a hundred yards till the idiots got loaded. Not like the plane is going to leave without them! Always at least one empty seat between me and anyone else. Everyone on the planes was super considerate. Driving I only used the card at pumps. Napped in my car if needed. I never used a motel and only rarely drive through fast food (I hardly eat anything on road trips). Getting coffee when driving was always a risk but I typically zapped the cup in micro after filling it. Simple stuff but it worked. I went half way around the world to hunt Africa, to MT twice, and several times to MN (COVID related) without catching the bug. Altogether I spent more than a month quarantined at home due to travel. No complaints. It was worth it.

Gomer, make sure you check your travel insurance. Since the pandemic many travel plans stopped covering COVID hospitalization abroad. This was definately a concern for me as I didn't want to wind up in publicly funded hospital in South Africa. Conditions in those were brutal during pandemic. I saw a piece on BBC that was pretty scary. Staff fleeing by the hundreds. Operating rooms left looking like slaughter houses.20210816_134513.jpgThis was Pearson in Toronto during late afternoon on a weekend!

Last edited:
Headed to Reno for sheep show tomorrow. Going to the Montana WSF banquet next month, then straight from there to Costa Rica for a week. Now that’s some super spreadin’.
My niece's daughter and her family took their kids to Cancun over Christmas break. They're still there because 3 out of the 4 tested positive for covid. They will not be allowed to board a plane back to the U.S. until they all test negative.

My niece's daughter and her family took their kids to Cancun over Christmas break. They're still there because 3 out of the 4 tested positive for covid. They will not be allowed to board a plane back to the U.S. until they all test negative.
Yep, I saw two Canadian gals refused boarding at Zurich because their test proof didn't jive. They were in line right in front of me. I gave them a wide berth! On final return from Montana in December I had to detour north out of Grand Forks and cross the border at Pembina in order to make the 72 hr deadline for valid test done in Havre. I was still forty minutes late but the border guy said no problem. There was a helluva lineup. No surprise. That's the freeway to Winnipeg.

I see the big electronics convention in Vegas went ahead as usual. What better place to roll the dice with one's health. I wonder if SHOT Show will be canceled? I was hoping to make it to a regional SCI get together but it seems unlikely now

Taxi drivers, hotels and restaurants said attendance down 70+% when we were there for other reasons last week.

A bunch of idiots on a chartered flight from Toronto to Cancun new years eve decided to party it up when the ball dropped. Masks down, all out of their seats, whooping it up. A couple of them filmed it on their phones and put it on the net. Staff on the plane have been suspended. Govt here can fine each passenger $5,000 and contemplating it ... if they ever get back to Canada. At least two airlines have banned the passengers permanently. Last I knew they were still stranded in Cancun. How stupid! Not like it would be hard to find out who they are. Their real names were on the manifest.

Dang, sorry to hear that. I guess there’s worse place to be stuck.

They are already canceling church services in our area because it’s supposed to snow 5-8 inches Sunday. We don’t know what snow is here.
I argue with my brother, who is a priest, about cancelling church for weather. I argue why cancel because his congregation is old enough to know if they can make it safely and he lives in the parsonage literally feet from the church. He argues that some of the old people are so worried about what others will think if they miss a week of church they will be there come hell or high water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back